From Civvy St to scrapheap

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by old_bloke, Mar 24, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I had no problem finding a job. The fact that I was in the Army helped me get me my 1st interview, and position.

2. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Did you find it hard adapting? Like when it says a meeting at 11:00 it means the meeting starts at 11:00 and not just people showing up at 11:00 etc. etc. Pills please nurse....

3. No problem. Went from army to self employed to limited company in the space of ten years. Not easy by any means but then nothing worthwhile is easy.

4. I've done the same in 3 years ;) (I sounds like Tropper66)

Adapting is easy. If others think that rocking up to meetings late is acceptable, then that's down to them.

5. I spent ages on my CV and covering letter. Sent out 10 cold call letters and got three interviews, and two jobs. One letter was held on file for 6 months, was dragged out and they called in for an interview and offered a job on more than what I left on.

It is easy if you don't come out with the attitude that the world owe's you a living. Met loads of those type doing dead-end jobs or at the bottom and blaming everyone except themselves. Also several operational tours, a rack of medals and a badge on your arm mean feck all out here.
    Come out with the right attitude and the world's your oyster.

6. All depends on the trade you get in the Army if your skills are relavent to civilian life, what job will you get with 4 yrs infantry on your cv yea exactly a rubbish min/wage one. I dont know anyone who has left a infantry regiment and would recommend it. My mate left 2yrs ago after 1yr of working shit dead-end jobs, I had to ask my boss to start him in the drilling company I work for, hes doing well now has a great attitude towards work I think thats the only usefull thing he gained from his army time.

7. MOST ex-military are good civvy employees.
    We are generally self motivated, tidy appearance and don't mind grafting.
    The problem is with trade or skills. My trade was totally compatible with civvy strasser, but an awful lot aren't.

8. My step across from green to pink and fluffy (I work in a school) was fairly easy.

We planned ahead and bought our house where we wanted to settle. Got a house for a decent price and pegged the mortgage on a fixed rate that reverts to 1% below the bank SVR a year after I handed my ID card back.
    The better loking half of our marriage is well and truly settled in her job and the kids as settled for education too.

The only thing left was for me to get a new job. Got my CV sorted, chucked it onto a few jobsites (Totaljobs, Jobsite, Monster etc...) Got a couple of interviews, shortlisted of the back of them and got offered the job at the second interview.

The drop in wages is offset by my pension and no longer having to fork out for travel and food while I lived married unaccompanied.

Plenty of jobs out here and like a couple of other people have said, if you've got the right attitude and present yourself well then you'll be ok.

9. msr

msr LE

10. My bold: Total tosh, I'm ex-infantry (scots div) and have plenty of civilian equivilant qualifications during my stint, it's what you make of yourselvf within the unit & with the right attitude, carrying out proper research and completing the relevant courses (ie: using the armies education allowances) to full affect,

Some course maybe limited but "still" sufficient for civilian life, it's down to the individual to make the most of your time in the unit, even with the minimum time spent in the infantry can achieve some courses.

11. msr

msr LE

Exactly: http://www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=127848.html

msr

12. I left after 29 years (almost 30) and was worried about getting a job. I was ex-Signals on the "dark side" so not many transferable skills, so I thought. However, was offered several jobs within a month of leaving varying from Deputy Director of a council, stores and advice on electronics to the Police and a facilities manager with a firm of solicitors. I took one as a Practice Manager with a group of GPs (mainly because of the pay). I retired from there a few months ago after 14 years. Transferable skills had nothing to do with my linguist or operator duties but the man management and "can-do" attitude. I dealt with a workforce of over 40, changed lightbulbs, steered the surgeries to a 3 million annual turnover, unblocked toilets, trained junior GPs in computer database usage, ran stock control for all admin and medical supplies, ran the payroll and managed the pensions, put the bins out for collection.....well, you get the idea. Willing to do anything and became well respected in the local committees and corridors of power. Yeah, got cheesed off with doctors timekeeping and would fume when they invariably rolled up for meeting half an hour late, but what the heck. Also got cheesed off with the great, whinging, British public who demand everything and think they are far more important than anyone else (like, I have another appointment at 10 o'clock, can I go in before all these other people waiting? or, I want to complain because the doctor won't give me a branded paracetamol and, as I get them free, I can get what I want..etc)
    At the end of it, had no problem adjusting and my Army experience held me in good stead (plus got a good wage, a pension scheme as good as the Army one and made some good mates among some of the doctors I helped to train).
    Before I joined up I worked as a waiter (days in restaurants, nights behind a bar in a nightclub. Of my 3 best mates in school, one became a bus conductor and worked all the way up to Inspector, one topped himself and the other is still lugging bricks round a building site.
    Recommend the Army? Too bloody right.

13. If you were a employer........Would you hire a ex squaddie ?? Preferably a battle hardened one c\w mental illness.
    No?...... I thought that might put you off....... And that is why these once BRAVEST of people really do feel that they have been thrown on the scrap heap (myself included) and it pisses me right off.

14. Of course I would (and have) hired an ex squaddie (and a couple of blue jobs and one matelot) but I really couldn't give a toss if he/she is "battle hardened" not entirely sure what that means in terms of transferrable skills, I'd like them to be able to read and write reasonably well, be presentable, confident but not arrogant and have good "inter personal" skills.

Edit (following your edit adding the mental illness criteria). The answer remains the same - if he/she can do the job, Yes. I'm afraid your additional edits make it sound as though the answer in your case would be, "No I'm afraid not". I'm not trying to be unpleasant or start a ruck but it is at the end of the day a business not a charity.