From Bulgers killer to the Afghan war, Labours

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Mar 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Bulger's killer to the Afghan war, Labour's cult of official secrecy is an insult to all of us

Last updated at 1:21 AM on 09th March 2010
    Comments (6)
    Add to My Stories

Justice Secretary Jack Straw makes a statement about Jamie Bulger's killer Jon Venables returning to prison
    Just weeks before a general election, the prime minister provides a photo-opportunity of himself, posing with our brave boys in Afghanistan.
    A few hours later, it is announced that no reporters will be permitted to visit the front line during that election campaign, lest what they see and hear should influence the outcome.
    Justice minister Jack Straw tells parliament he will not disclose the reason why Jamie Bulger's killer Jon Venables has been returned to prison, lest this prejudice possible future criminal proceedings.
    And on Sunday, the BBC's Panorama reported that more than 60 per cent of NHS hospital trusts provide the public with inaccurate information about their performance.
    Here, within the space of a few days, is an extraordinary range of examples of the manner in which official secrecy routinely operates in Britain, all year round.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-1256490/MAX-HASTINGS-From-Bulgers-killer-Afghan-war-Labours-cult-official-secrecy-insult-us.html?#ixzz0hfBnPxGS

2. Joseph Goebbels would be amazed, as even he could not have pulled off half the strokes that New Labour have got away with

3. To be honest, Jack Straw was correct in refusing to disclose why any person is recalled to prison. Any further trial could be blown out of the water by any half qualified law student on the grounds that it would be impossible to find a jury that hasn't read something in some rag about the case or seen something on the TV.

I'm more amazed that anybody has been recalled to prison for breeching the terms of their release at all !

4. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Straw is useless - but that particular issue sounds reasonable to me.
    If it went to court and Bulger got off on the grounds of pre-prejudice, who would be the cnuts then?

His new name is Dave Smith - feel better now? No? Why not?
    (Just upset all the journo's who are hoping to cash in on this "story"..........

5. My bold .... your pessimism confirms my suspicion that indeed a very serious offence has been committed and may prove a major embarrassment to this Government who are tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime .

6. Are they fairy-cakes. They are too busy arguing that fear of crime is more important than real crime, to even start managing/policing it effectively.

7. I think you may be correct, but no matter what's happened, Jack Straw did the right thing in withholding this information, if only because he's innocent at the moment. That could change, but if this goes to trial and he's found not guilty we'd have to change his identity again, at even more cost to the taxpayer. Oh, and risk to the scrote's life.

This Mrs Fergus (I think that's her name) seems intent on re-opening old wounds, which can't be healthy for her or for Thompson and Venables. I'd hesitate to refer you to Boris Johnson's previous comments about the people of Liverpool's possession of the world's biggest victim complex... actually, I wouldn't.

8. I would'nt p1ss on Jack Straw if he was on fire, but in this at least he is correct. The way our pathetic excuse for a justice system works, releasing any information about Venable alleged new offences would be like giving him(another)Get Out of Jail Free Card.

9. I agree with you that Jack Straw will be " damned if he does and damned if he doesn't " but it is possible that the whole concept of spin and smoke and mirrors generated over the past 13 years may now be coming back to bite and people in the street just will not believe him whatever he says .

It indeed would be a dreadful situation if a prosecution goes ahead and is thrown out of court because of some technicality relating to information being published by the Press .

10. It's not really true if it's in the Daily Hate though. Typical headline = "Gay Immigrant Marxists ate my hamster". You can hardly take a Daily Mail piece of pre-election propaganda and use it as evidence of anything. It's a rag for Heat readers who want to appear cultured.

11. Wow.

Jack Straw wont make it public news what Venables crime was. The only reason anyone would want to know this is out of a ghoulish fascination - mothing more, nothing less. There is no public interest in that being made public.

We wont allow reporting from the front line during an election campaign. Which is pretty much SOP and has been for a long time (and stops politicking in both directions).

The NHS are misleading the public - so mindless civil servants and NOTHING at all to with the official secrets act, as it is "suggested" in those opening lines.

So inaccurate, woeful, lopsided reporting - ah, its from the Daily Mail I see.

12. "I agree with you that Jack Straw will be " damned if he does and damned if he doesn't " but it is possible that the whole concept of spin and smoke and mirrors generated over the past 13 years may now be coming back to bite and people in the street just will not believe him whatever he says .

It indeed would be a dreadful situation if a prosecution goes ahead and is thrown out of court because of some technicality relating to information being published by the Press . "

I fully agree with you. The current deep seated and instinctive disbelief in anything any politician says is the fault of current professional politicians over the last 15 - 20 years. And they throughly deserve it.

The failure of the Judical system to slap down the press over the last 10 years is at heart for this drama. If a few Editors had found themselves banged up for Contempt of Court over the Soham murders or a equally repulsive case with their lurid press masturbation and fantastic story lines we might not be facing such a solidly imposed silence

13. Do you mean this bit ?

"Here, within the space of a few days, is an extraordinary range of examples of the manner in which official secrecy routinely operates in Britain, all year round. "

Where does it say OSA ? Nowhere. My italics is the wording used. Not one mention of OSA. If you think the author is refering to the OSA then you really must break out a new tin foil hat. And if you had read the Times recently you'd know that the DoH has sat on 3 reports comissioned by Lord Darzi in 2008. A quck look indicates why so many deaths have occurred recently in the NHS. Since no one has been charged for those deaths there is no need to withhold the reports. Other than Poltical reasons.

14. I have perhaps been unclear. I think using the term "official secrecy" is designed to suggest that it is the OSA being used. If I read that, I am sure others have as well. I therefore stand by what I have said. If a journalist hadn't meant to give that impression, surely he woulnd't have used such a careless phrase.

15. Agreed - the use of 'official secrets/secrecy' is likely to conjure up notions of the OSA (at least in the minds of Mail readers who've heard of it/remember what it is).

I can't help thinking that the press sees lots of juicy stories in this:

1. Outrage at Bulger killer being recalled to prison
    2. Outrage at Straw refusing to reveal circumstances
    3. Outrage at pain of Mrs Fergus
    4. Outrage at continued refusal of Straw to give details
    5. Gloating as govt, against better judgement, caves in. 'Victory for the Mail'
    6. Lurid details of Venables' alleged offences. 'Sick, twisted killer Jon Venables...'
    7. Outrage as judge (insert stereotype here) throws out case on grounds that Venables can't get fair trial becasue of media coverage
    8. Mrs Fergus devastat.... Oh hang on, some soap star has been found sleeping with a footballer!

Keeps 'em busy for a good couple of weeks, don'cha think? Or perhaps I'm being unduly cynical...