From Army to RAF

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by paddy993, Nov 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anyone tell me is it still possible to transfere from the Army to the RAF with the recent defence review?

2. Almost certainly but you should be prepared to find yourself suddenly promoted way beyond your ability within about 7 weeks of making the switch. Almost everyone in the RAF ends up as at least a Wing Commander by the time they are 24.

3. Try here:

The application process - RAF Careers

or speak to an AFCO. (This sort of question must start to be considered a 'wah', really)

BTW I'm 41 and only a sqn ldr. What did I do wrong? Oh yes, spent half my career working with the Army!

4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

I knew a WO2 who transferred to RAF. Had to complete RAF basic training (7 weeks of learning how to book hotels) and then given the rank of Sgt!

5. Why do you want to anyway? Recruitment is very slow and the RAF is in a mess at the moment with the various camps closing and dithering over a few others.

6. I don't think that there is technically an inter service transfer. I looked at transferring from the Army to the RN (Submarines) shortly before I retired. Basically I would have to have left the Army and then re-enlisted into the Andrew.

7. Yup. No such thing as a transfer. You have to leave the Army through all the normal procedures first, and then join the RAF through all the normal procedures. Your adquals should all be recognised but you'll still have to do basic training to Airforcify you first.

8. In theory you should be able to transfer. I had not heard that interservice transfers had been stopped. I would recommend getting yourself along to a transfer fair (if these are still being run), your local education centre is most likely to have the details as they normally run them as I understand it.

9. Don't do it, believe me don't do it.

Like others have said though, you have to leave and then apply to join the RAF, go through basic (a breeze). You'll have rocks who think they will give you a 'hard time' (lol) whilst doing 'basic' and when you go through trade training and out to a RAF base, you'll miss the comradeship of a tight knit organisation.....

Saying that it's cushy and you may get paid more.

Nuff said.