From an American

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by baudy, Apr 2, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I don't really belong here, I'm American and a civilian no less, but I came across this site through a war blog. Instead of just lurking I thought I'd say hello.

Yes I know we're mostly asshats here in the States, but I won't be too bothersome, I swear.

Oh, and let me say the Brits are the finest people on earth!

thanks

2. ;) Welcome indeed. Enjoy browsing, and please note that the main grief you might get is over AFV recognition by your pilots...

;D Still, at least you're not French...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/2907701.stm

Cheese Eating Surrender Monkeys is the least of it.... :mad: :mad: :'(

3. thanks.

I saw that article, and I'm pretty pissed over it. Both of my grandfathers served in WWII; one was stationed in Europe for a year after it ended and he said the French were constantly asking, "When are you Yanks gonna go home?" the other landed in Normandy on June 8 and was shot and paralyzed four months later.

What can you expect when that scumbag Saddam lover Chirac pretended to be opposing the war based on some higher moral principle while painting Bush/Blair as warmongers? France might as well quit NATO and join the League of Arab Nations already.

Re: "friendly fire," if it's any consolation, it seems we're pretty good at shooting at our own men, too.  :-[

baudy

p.s. is there any chance that the Battle of Baghdad won't be an insane bloodbath? I hope it's not the case, but I can see our Marines trying to fight door to door. Seems like the approach you guys are taking with Basra would be more merciful to both sides.

4. ;) It's a result of many (too many) years in Northern Ireland and elsewhere. If you wade in quickly things can often get stirred up, whereas if you walk slowly and carry a big stick (apologies to President Truman?) things are often a lot easier. Note the Beret wearing as opposed to helmets. In NI, that's a huge -  and I mean high level decision time - order, as it is seen as sending a very important message to all.

I'm sure your lot and ours are communicating about what works best - good luck to the USMC!
     ;D

5. I hope, but...the history of our military in general and the USMC in particular does not show much tendency for patience.

http://www.pilotonline.com/military/ml0330tar.html

story on Marines in Nasiriyah, "They are growing impatient, and there is a general feeling that the U.S. command is going too slowly, that their company should be much closer to Baghdad."

it does seem though that the U.S. brass never likes to do the expected.

BTW, it was Teddy Roosevelt who said "speak softly and carry a big stick." But that was pretty good, average American would probably thought it was Barry Bonds.

6. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Jeeepers, here's three quotes from this article, THIS IS NOT HOW TO WIN HEARTS AND MINDS:

On Saturday, an Iraqi man on a bike pedaled up to one Marine and asked to sample an MRE — a meal ready to eat. When his request was denied, he offered a taste of his own food to the Marine.

Friend, or foe? The Marines have no way of knowing.

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Saturday’s mission was to clear a large swatch of the city. On Friday night, that area had been ‘‘prepped’’ by airstrikes and artillery.

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Shheww-shheww! Boomboom!

Two rocket-propelled grenades, launched from a building across the river, just missed Grunwald’s lightarmored vehicle before exploding in the treetops behind him.

Grunwald and the vehicle’s gunner, Sgt. James Curtis, spotted the enemy gunners’ positions and opened up on them with high-explosive rounds from the 25 mm cannon and with the turretmounted 7.62 mm machine gun. Others in the company also began firing.

Taking no chances, Grunwald called in an artillery strike on the enemy position while the company’s forward air controller, Maj. Marc ‘‘Vino’’ Weintraub, called in airstrikes by Harrier attack jets and Cobra gunships.

IF THE USMC DO THIS IN BAGHDAD WE ARE ALL F*CKED

9. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

2 points:

First, don't assume that because we speak (broadly) the same language that what we say has the same meaning. I agree, the sight of USMC whooping it up looks very bad in the press here when we are used to images of soldiers moving quietly and in the background in NI. Those same images play, and are perceived, much differently in the US. Remeber that all politics is domestic in the sense that the US Govt wants the images to play well at home to secure re-election. That being said, the people we should be concentrating on winning over are the arabs, and if the US has any sense it will leave that element to the UK, because that's were we will inevitably do better.

Secondly, the US are not well versed in fighting asymetric warfare, whereas we are. We have a wealth of NI and Boz experience in dealing with situations not to dissimilar to this.

As for taking Baghdad, chances are we will take casualties. What the US have blundered into politically is saying that they will tolerate up to 1000 casualties to achieve the task. Politically, the Govt will suffere when the 1001st casualty is taken. It would be better advised to comment on foreign policy and leave the military decisions to the military, especially regarding what casualties and attrition it can and will tolerate. By placing a figure on the attrition level, you give the enemy a political and propoganda victory.

10. Tell me they didn't say this... F'in morons... I swear to get into American politics you have to check your brain at the door. ::)

11. As far as I can tell, no one actually said this.

There was one of those reports from an "unidentified Pentagon source" that said "We are prepared to pay a heavy price" re: casualties in Baghdad.

of course, anything coming out of Washington has to be taken with a grain of salt, especially from the Pentagon. Especially anonymous sources from the Pentagon. Although this sounds more like an intentionally leaked story in an attempt to steel the public before the battle.

as far as I can tell, no one has placed an official estimate on "acceptable losses," although an ABC News poll found that U.S. public support for the war, which is around 70-75 percent, would drop sharply if U.S. deaths reached 1,000.

12. Hate to say it, but I think that the US public better steel themsleves. If the Iraquis don't surrender before the shyte hits the fan in Baghdad, everyone will be in a world of hurt.