Frogs threaten to de-rail the EU gravy train

Surely only another example of France acting in its own interests regardless of minor treaties. To be fair when the free movemnet within the EU was proposed the outer boundaries we supposed to be secure which proves that politicians do live in fantasy land.

Do it Froggies, do it! It may encourage our craven and supine politicians to grow some testicles and follow suit - follow suit all the way out of the corrupt and undemocratic European Soviet Union- I doubt it though, too many 'junkets' and expenses to be forfeited by such a brave and sensible move.

Anyone notice the repellent goggle-eyed Balls has 'had a go' at the European Soviet Union. A very smooth move in my opinion as that will garner some disaffected Tory votes.

When will our politicians, of all parties, realise that the majority of people of this nation want OUT of Europe?

ugly

LE
I'm still a believer that we shouldnt be in the EU, we were sold a referendum asking if we wanted to be in a trading partnership and succesive govts since that **** Heath have sold us down the river.
As for those who say we get as much back as we put in, prove it!

As a "trade agreement" in the beginning the EU/EEC was probably agood idea. However it has grown to big and to intrusive.
We should have a vote on our participation in the US of E. As for trade it hasn't hurt Switzerland or Norway to be out of it. Also we could get rid of the WTD and DCPC rules, and thus make my job easier and less regulated.

CG

Do it Froggies, do it! It may encourage our craven and supine politicians to grow some testicles and follow suit - follow suit all the way out of the corrupt and undemocratic European Soviet Union- I doubt it though, too many 'junkets' and expenses to be forfeited by such a brave and sensible move.

Anyone notice the repellent goggle-eyed Balls has 'had a go' at the European Soviet Union. A very smooth move in my opinion as that will garner some disaffected Tory votes.

When will our politicians, of all parties, realise that the majority of people of this nation want OUT of Europe?
You are talking insurrection. INSURRECTION I say. About time, now lets action it.

You will find that the complaints we make are echoed by Germans, French, Italians well everyone really.

The EU and I am willing to be corrected came about originally from a steel tariff agreement so countries did not start undercutting each other and has now grown into this monster.

Europeans are just as wracked off with it as us. I live in south east Europe in a candidate nation. The general consensus is they don't want to be in the EU as their is nothing in it for them as they will be second class EU citizens so whats the point? I have to agree. The EU seems to be more interested in protecting itself and doing it with German treasure. The Erics are not pleased about this at all but are stuck with political guilt of wrecking Europe twice so dont want to be seen as responsible a third time. Most Germans I know could not give a toss and would drop it like a hot rock given the chance.

just my opinions for what they are worth

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Actually, I think it's a sort of a return to the heartland for Labour who were traditionally staunchly suspicious of the then EEC as a club for big business at the expense of workers' rights. This feeling continued pretty much up till the 1990's and the New Labour make-over.

A good summary of it by the Telegraph's Peter Oborne recently: Peter Oborne – Telegraph Blogs

Seems obvious to me that the Ities are trying to export their illegal immigrant problem and the French are fighting back. It doesn't affect us, we're not part of the schengen treaty. As for derailing the gravy train, how does it do that? The euro MPs can still collect their wages, expenses etc. It's just a dispute between Italy and the other members over issuing of visas to tunisians.

I am all in favour of suspending it. That way we may not get so many illigals coming into the UK from France. Although Gobbly Wobbly says it doesn't affect us, in a way it does, as illigals have hassle free movement around Europe all the way to Calais, where they then have to start getting sneaky.

Okay, the next shipment of illegals found at Dover will be rounded up and shot, their bodies taken back to Calais and dumped at the Dunes.
Do that with second load found and I'd put money on there not being a third load.

CG

Get rid of the EU I say, then we can get back to the good old days of undercutting each other with state subsidies, trade quotas and restricted movement of people and goods.

Should line us up just nicely to be taken over by the Indians or the Chinese by the end of the century, whoever gets there first.

That'll show those pesky politicos and their free lunches, damn them.

Get rid of the EU I say, then we can get back to the good old days of undercutting each other with state subsidies, trade quotas and restricted movement of people and goods.

Should line us up just nicely to be taken over by the Indians or the Chinese by the end of the century, whoever gets there first.

You don't need the EU to have trade agreements.
Its like all the bollocks that the UK does X amount of trade with the EU do we want to lose it? When there is no question of trade stopping if we pulled out of the EU.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer

Micawber, the EEC (as was) was one thing, a collective trade policy amongst nations. The EU has become quite another.

Been done a few days ago :- Is France now leading the way in stopping illegal immigration?

France has closed its borders with Italy to trains carrying N. African migrants, see here :- France angers Italy after blocking migrants at border | euronews, world news
Is this the start of a new tougher line on immigration or just part of upcoming election grandstanding by Sarkozy to appease the growing right wing support Le Pen's Party is getting, Where recent polls suggest that Marine le pen would get 23% of the first round votes!

In the 1980's the movement of goods through Europe was severely regulated.

Each haulage trip was deluged in paperwork, permits, restrictions and bribes which put the cost of everything up a great deal.

For a manufacturer in Birmingham, sending your goods internally to Bournemouth was a fundamentally different thing from sending them to Barcelona.

It meant you were almost unable to compete on price for sales abroad in mainland Europe.

Now the only difference between the two destinations is simply one of mileage, and we are all much better off for it.

For example, we can now fire our meat straight into Paris just for the driving there - it was a very different story in the 80's.

I'm talking about the practical reality of things, not just the political jingoism of people who have never tried to actually trade anything with anyone.

I'm talking about the practical reality of things, not just the political jingoism of people who have never tried to actually trade anything with anyone.
So you want a trade agreement and none of the other bollocks?

So you want a trade agreement and none of the other bollocks?
That is what most people thought the EU was originally about not the unelected marxist juggernaut/gravy train it has become!!

Stacker, it's more complicated than that. If there was no such thing as the EU then we could all exist as independent nations and trading partners with trade agreements, but that is not reality.

The reality is that the rest are in the EU club, and if we unilaterally withdraw leaving them in it together, we will be the big losers.

In order to have a level competitive playing field you need communality in lots of different areas which everyone has to abide by.

Areas such as health and safety, which is broadly a very good thing but has cost implications, as do working hours and conditions, trading standards, a legal framework for redress and minimum standards re pollution etc.

If left to trading agreements we will be stitched up in hundreds of different ways. The French and Italians could come together and turn over our aerospace industry, for example, with state subsidy and price fixing.

All this stuff goes way beyond the scope of a trade agreement and makes up most of what you call 'bollocks' - but it isn't, we need it.

It is a bit like welfare standards in farming. We make our farmers treat pigs in a humane fashion that we all agree with, but the Danes don't, so they get a free run at undercutting our own farmers on price - that's a trade agreement in action.

In many ways, the problem lies in the fact that the people at the top of the EU do not have enough power. They seem unable to sort out the obvious crap bits and update stuff as things change.

No-one can say 'right, the CAP needs a re-write, lets do it', but rather everything just runs into the sand and all we get is drift..

If we got stuck into it with a bit of the old Empire confidence and enthusiasm we would be better able to make the whole institution dance to our own tune.

Instead we just seem a bit frightened of it.