Frogs Back Down......Again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Northern_Biff, Apr 10, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. France to scrap youth job law

French President Jacques Chirac has announced that the new youth employment law that sparked weeks of protests will be scrapped.
    He said the First Employment Contract - or CPE - would be replaced by other measures to tackle youth unemployment.

Millions of students and union members have taken to the streets over the last month in protest against the law, with demonstrations often turning violent.

The government had backed the law which made it easier to fire young workers.

The law introduced a new work contract for under-26s allowing a two-year trial period, during which employers could end a contract without explanation.

FIRST JOB CONTRACT
    Contrat Premiere Embauche (CPE): A new work contract for under-26s allowing a two-year trial period
    In that period, employers can end a contract without explanation
    After two years, the CPE reverts to a standard full-time contract
    Became law on 2 April, but amendments are expected - employers are being asked not to apply it yet

The plan to replace the law was announced after a meeting between the president, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and other senior ministers on Monday.

Mr de Villepin said he regretted that the proposed measures which had aimed "to provide opportunities for thousands of young people" had not been fully understood.

Speaking in a live television address, Mr de Villepin said his goal now was to work for the future of the country, adding that he hoped all French people would work together.

The prime minister had insisted the CPE was a tool to bring down unemployment.

But union leaders had given the government until Easter weekend to withdraw the law or face a repeat of the recent general strikes.

Yep, they have managed to surrender when the going gets tough.....can I see a pattern forming here?

BBC Linky

2. True enough, but does it count when the French surrender to the French?

3. Could this be classed as yet another French revolution? If it is then may I be the first to say - - The French are revoulting....

4. Now who was it who had that excellent .gif of a monkey jumping up and down, waving a white flag in one hand and eating some cheese with the other? Time to post it here.

5. There wasn't anyone else available at the time.

6. Will this one do?
    [​IMG]

7. mpsman wrote:

"Could this be classed as yet another French revolution?"

Reminds me of the time when one of the Chinese communist leaders(Mao?) was asked:

"Do you think the French revolution was a success?" he replied:

"It's MUCH too early to tell"

8. At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!

9. Thank fcuk for that!
    Thats why we have that little old thing we defend called democracy! Its not 'whose gang shouts the loudest' that makes a difference, its who doesn't get the vote. We would live in anarchy (al la - the frogs) if the government capitulated every time some spotty halfwit decided to hold the country to ransom.

10. If you are not paying Community Charge - where are you living, coz I wanna move there!

11. I think the reason the French like de-stabilizing their country every couple of months is that it must make it easier to surrender

12. That's why French country roads are lined with those very tall trees -

'cos the German Army prefers to march in the shade!

13. Now I thought and this may just be me that a government was supposed to listen to its people and not ignore its collective will?

14. On the other hand, it could be a sign of DEMOCRATIC gobment in action (y'know, a gobment of the people, for the people kind of thing). Something wholly unheard of in the UK, methinks.

MsG

15. Why is it the only people the French don't surrender to are the Brits?

Maybe a reaction to English being the new Lingua Franca.