Frogs Back Down......Again

#1
France to scrap youth job law

French President Jacques Chirac has announced that the new youth employment law that sparked weeks of protests will be scrapped.
He said the First Employment Contract - or CPE - would be replaced by other measures to tackle youth unemployment.

Millions of students and union members have taken to the streets over the last month in protest against the law, with demonstrations often turning violent.

The government had backed the law which made it easier to fire young workers.

The law introduced a new work contract for under-26s allowing a two-year trial period, during which employers could end a contract without explanation.

FIRST JOB CONTRACT
Contrat Premiere Embauche (CPE): A new work contract for under-26s allowing a two-year trial period
In that period, employers can end a contract without explanation
After two years, the CPE reverts to a standard full-time contract
Became law on 2 April, but amendments are expected - employers are being asked not to apply it yet

The plan to replace the law was announced after a meeting between the president, Prime Minister Dominique de Villepin and other senior ministers on Monday.

Mr de Villepin said he regretted that the proposed measures which had aimed "to provide opportunities for thousands of young people" had not been fully understood.

Speaking in a live television address, Mr de Villepin said his goal now was to work for the future of the country, adding that he hoped all French people would work together.

The prime minister had insisted the CPE was a tool to bring down unemployment.

But union leaders had given the government until Easter weekend to withdraw the law or face a repeat of the recent general strikes.

Yep, they have managed to surrender when the going gets tough.....can I see a pattern forming here?

BBC Linky
 
#3
Could this be classed as yet another French revolution? If it is then may I be the first to say - - The French are revoulting....
 
#4
Now who was it who had that excellent .gif of a monkey jumping up and down, waving a white flag in one hand and eating some cheese with the other? Time to post it here.
 
#6
Dread said:
Now who was it who had that excellent .gif of a monkey jumping up and down, waving a white flag in one hand and eating some cheese with the other? Time to post it here.
Will this one do?
 
#7
mpsman wrote:

"Could this be classed as yet another French revolution?"

Reminds me of the time when one of the Chinese communist leaders(Mao?) was asked:

"Do you think the French revolution was a success?" he replied:

"It's MUCH too early to tell"
 
#8
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
 
#9
Andyroo said:
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
Thank fcuk for that!
Thats why we have that little old thing we defend called democracy! Its not 'whose gang shouts the loudest' that makes a difference, its who doesn't get the vote. We would live in anarchy (al la - the frogs) if the government capitulated every time some spotty halfwit decided to hold the country to ransom.
 
#10
Andyroo said:
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours. Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
If you are not paying Community Charge - where are you living, coz I wanna move there!
 
#13
Northern_Biff said:
Andyroo said:
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
Thank fcuk for that!
Thats why we have that little old thing we defend called democracy! Its not 'whose gang shouts the loudest' that makes a difference, its who doesn't get the vote. We would live in anarchy (al la - the frogs) if the government capitulated every time some spotty halfwit decided to hold the country to ransom.
Now I thought and this may just be me that a government was supposed to listen to its people and not ignore its collective will?
 
#14
Northern_Biff said:
Yep, they have managed to surrender when the going gets tough.....can I see a pattern forming here?
On the other hand, it could be a sign of DEMOCRATIC gobment in action (y'know, a gobment of the people, for the people kind of thing). Something wholly unheard of in the UK, methinks.

MsG
 
#16
PassingBells said:
Why is it the only people the French don't surrender to are the Brits?

Maybe a reaction to English being the new Lingua Franca.
At least the Government in France have listened to the people after continued protests. Did not work that well for us during the Poll Tax riots!!!
 
#17
Well done to the young people of France. This is a deserved victory and just reward for a concerted, well-planned protest. It's the product of people-power and has driven home the message that politicians and business leaders will not always succeed in treating the populace as expendable units to be exploited and then cast aside.

Sadly, this thread is littered with the predictable ignorant anti-French nonsense. I agree that the French politicians in power are lily-livered at heart - similar to the low-lives that are supposed to be running this place. I'm honestly quite surprised that the capitulation took so long, given the strength and unity of the just protagonists. If we have to make a distinction in nationalistic terms, a protest of this magnitude would never get off the ground in this country, because the driving spirit is broken or dissipated. Before you could get up a head of steam, fellow civilians would be shopping each other to the nearest copper - they just don't have the required guts, discipline or organisation
 
#18
Andyroo said:
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
Thing is though mate, the frogs are going to have to face up to reforming their employment laws sometime soon. They simply can't afford to continue on the tired old 'labour' laws that the socialist left exude so much energy to protect.

I nearly wet myself when i heard one of the frog MP's saying yesterday that what france needs now is a Mrs Thatcher! 8O :lol: :lol: :lol: Priceless
 
#19
frenchperson said:
Well done to the young people of France. This is a deserved victory and just reward for a concerted, well-planned protest. It's the product of people-power and has driven home the message that politicians and business leaders will not always succeed in treating the populace as expendable units to be exploited and then cast aside.

Sadly, this thread is littered with the predictable ignorant anti-French nonsense. I agree that the French politicians in power are lily-livered at heart - similar to the low-lives that are supposed to be running this place. I'm honestly quite surprised that the capitulation took so long, given the strength and unity of the just protagonists. If we have to make a distinction in nationalistic terms, a protest of this magnitude would never get off the ground in this country, because the driving spirit is broken or dissipated. Before you could get up a head of steam, fellow civilians would be shopping each other to the nearest copper - they just don't have the required guts, discipline or organisation
So how are you going to explain the significance of this 'deserved victory' to all the dissaffected youths in the French Ghettos who can't get jobs because their government contiunally flop when faced with pressure from the labour unions over reforming labour laws? Oh, that's right, you won't because your not french and you can't see the big picture.
 
#20
castlereagh said:
Northern_Biff said:
Andyroo said:
At least the French Government listen when the people protest, unlike ours.

Look how long it took to get rid of the damn poll tax!
Thank fcuk for that!
Thats why we have that little old thing we defend called democracy! Its not 'whose gang shouts the loudest' that makes a difference, its who doesn't get the vote. We would live in anarchy (al la - the frogs) if the government capitulated every time some spotty halfwit decided to hold the country to ransom.
Now I thought and this may just be me that a government was supposed to listen to its people and not ignore its collective will?
Hardly a collective will! 1 million people marching in a country of over 60 million does not a majority make.