Froggie Fobs

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by benjaminw1, May 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Couple of brass dudes wearing what look like 2 DIV fobs a la Francaise.

Are these official bling?

(looks like I can't get the image to show, its on the MOD site under the Kohima news story)
  2. Here you go:

3. Well, that's an easy one. They're obviously key-fobs with the 2 Div keys.

4. 8 Regt RLC have a similar thing with their scorpion on it IIRC. Looks utterly gay in CS95.
  5. What a load of chip shop shite. Looks like some officer with too much power and too little sense has developed a foul sense of humour and wants everyone walking around with div nipple tassles.
  6. Cheers Bugsy,

I do not like, not our tradition (though look fine on fantassins).

So not G1098 then...
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Is it fat occifers church parade?
  8. seems like a brilliant idea.
    how about patches for various pay grades as well :twisted:
    name tags for everyone :twisted:
    Not ever going to wear this gay looking crap so why not :twisted:
  9. Unfortunately it is spreading, ARRC is also doing it , as witnessed by myself last week. :roll:
  10. It is a VERY common thing across NATO orgs - AFNORTH & AFSOUTH both have one as well - so as for 'spreading' - been done for a very long time. Keep up at the back. :roll:
  11. I like to avoid our illustrious allies and their bling habits as much as I can. So I'll just hang at the back here and avoid such Froggie/Yankie habits :wink:
  12. I think I'd be habitually 'forgetting' mine. What a load of crap.

Who'd want to advertise that they were in 2 Div? :wink:
  13. When, ditch your beret then because it came from the French after WW1....

14. 'from' the French after WWI??

I think you'll find that our beret was a BRITSH beret, because French types were either too big and looked cr*p, or too small and looked ridiculous.

I believe we pull our's over the other ear, too. (Although, in the beginning, the RTR chaps wore the capbadge central, and pulled the material down equally over each ear) SO it's not a direct copy, like the things in those pictures.
  15. Yes, from the French army. No beret before WWI in the BA, lots after and all due to contact with the French army during the Great War.

All the rest is your personal interpretation or taste; but the truth is that the British army currently wears a French headgear and it's not the first time either (Guards bearskin were copied from Napoléon's Grenadiers de la Garde.)

From Wiki:

A beret (pronounced /ˈbɛreɪ/[1] or /bəˈreɪ/[2] in English, [be'rɛ] in French) is a soft round cap, usually of wool felt, with a flat crown, which is worn by both men and women and traditionally associated with France.

Berets are worn by many military and police units, and in some countries are particularly associated with elite units, who often wear berets in more unusual colours, such as the maroon of Commonwealth parachute troops, the German Kommando Spezialkräfte KSK and the Danish Jægerkorpset, the green of the Royal Marines Commandos, French Commandos (Bérets verts), and United States Army's Special Forces (Green Berets), the scarlet of the elite Soviet Internal Troops (Spetsnaz), the beige or tan of Commonwealth special forces units (SAS) and United States Army Rangers, or the wide black of French Chasseurs alpins, the first military unit to have worn berets.

The use of berets as a military headdress dates back to the creation of the French Chasseurs alpins in the early 1880s.
    These mountain troops were issued with a new style of uniform which included several features which were very practical and advanced by the standards of the time, notably the large and floppy blue beret which they still retain (see below). This was so unfamiliar a fashion outside France that it had to be described in an British encyclopedia in 1911 as "a sort of tam o'shanter hat"