Frimley Park

Discussion in 'OTC and ACF' started by pickledjelly, Jan 18, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who's been?

Who's going?

I'm off down on the 15th July, second course of the year

Looks extremely good crack, I'm ATC so it's very rare we get to shoot blanks or do pretty much anything in the field incase we break ourselves

:compress: rather excited here.. :thumleft:
  2. I have been, CLC Course 107, also an aircadet.
  3. i was born there - does that count?

4. erm.. yes?
  5. I went there when I was 15 or thereabouts - Had a fantastic week, learnt a lot, made some good friends, couple of who turned up at RCB / Sandhurst and so on at the same time as me, and a couple of others I'm still in touch with from time to time, some 7 years later.

It is what you make of it, work hard, and you'll enjoy it.

6. Introduction
    Frimley Park is home of the Cadet Training Centre which runs leadership courses for all cadet forces. The course consists of a number of physical and mental exercises to test your leadership abilities.

Frimley Park itself is a very refined house set in its own pleasant grounds in Surrey. The atmosphere inside is very formal, and should you be lucky enough to go there you are strongly advised to brush up on your etiquette beforehand. Don't do what one Army Cadet did and forget your formal black shoes to go with your suit, white Converses are not big or clever in the mess.

It is also probably the only service establishment where cadets are waited on by the staff!

*This is within the building it-self, on the course it is very rare to enter the house, unless on a visit*

The Manor of FREMLEY was, at the time of the Doomsday Survey, part of the monastic estate of Chertsey Abbey. On the dissolution of the monasteries, Henry VIII gave the estate to his daughter Mary and when she became Queen in 1553 she gave the estate to Sir John White of Aldershot, as a reward for his service as Lord Mayor of London.

A granddaughter of White’s married Sir Walter Tichborne in 1602, who succeeded to the estate as part of the marriage settlement. The present mansion was built in 1699, by James and Mary Tichborne, the sixth generation of the family to own the estate, on the site of an unpretentious hunting lodge. The last of the Tichbornes to own the house, Sir Henry Tichborne, sold the house and estate to James Laurell in 1790 for £20,000.00. George IV, as Prince of Wales, was a frequent visitor to the house and it was James Laurell’s son who, it is said, staked and lost the estate in 1857 at cards to one John Tekel, in the presence of the Prince.

The estate was then 1457 acres and included Tekel’s Park, Barossa Common and the whole of what is now Camberley. In 1860, after Tekel died, his widow, daughter of the third Earl of Stanhope and niece of William Pitt, divided and sold the estate, Barossa Common becoming additional training grounds for the new Royal Military College, Sandhurst. Up until 1890 the estate changed hands a number of times, but the next known owner was Colonel (later Sir Malcolm) Fox of the Black Watch, Inspector of Gymnasia, who lived in the house until 1897.

In 1898, The Crown Prince of Siam was a gentleman cadet at the RMC Sandhurst and was subsequently attached to Army Units in the Aldershot area. During this time he lived at Frimley Park, his bedroom was one of the smallest rooms at the top of the house because Siamese Royal Protocol ordained that members of the Royal Family must sleep above the commoners and servants of the Royal household.

From 1920 to 1947 the house was owned by Theodore Ralli, a Liverpool cotton broker, who made many improvements including the sunken garden, formal garden and pergola and the oak paneling in the dining room. The paneling was brought to Frimley Park from the Ralli’s house in Liverpool and had originally come from Chillingham Castle. He also built three bedrooms were over the billiard room (now the main Lecture Room, Marlborough Hall) as a nursery suite for the Ralli children.

During the Second World War, the house became a maternity hospital, Marlborough Hall being the delivery room. From 1947 to 1950 the house was used by the Officers’ Association. In 1951 the house and grounds were taken over by the War Department for the WRAC Staff College, which remained in situ until 1957. 181 Regular and 34 Territorial Officers of the WRAC passed through the College.

In 1957, the Amery Committee proposed that a training centre for the CCF and ACF be established, under a Board of Governors. The War Office decided Frimley Park should be used to house the newly named Cadet Training Centre. After extensive renovations CTC, Frimley Park opened in 1959 and the first course assembled on the 5th of April; an ACF Officers’ King George VI Memorial Leadership Course of 18 students.

Since 1966, the remaining estate has been much reduced in size. Firstly by the widening of the Frimley Road to the south of the park into a dual carriageway, secondly by the building of Frimley Park Hospital and lastly by the building of the Gilbert Road housing estate between the park and the M3. In 1989, a further encroachment of 2.7 acres was made by the hospital. However, this paid for the new admin block, classrooms, range and showers and was officially open by the Duke of Edinburgh in 1991. A gymnasium shared with the new MOD Hospital Unit was opened in 2001.

The Cadet Training Centre has frequently been visited by distinguished people, including The Queen, Captain General of the CCF, on 12 July 1978, accompanied by the Duke of Edinburgh, Colonel in Chief of the Army Cadet Force. During the more than forty years since opening, over 90,000 adults and cadets have passed through CTC.

What Is Covered.
    - 2 Minute Biographical Talk To Platoon Members & Staff
    - Fieldcraft Lessons, including "Map And Compass", "Platoon Battle Drills", & "Ambush Drills"
    - Orienteering (2/3 man group)- Exercise Top Score
    - Rafting
    - Skill At Arms
    - Obstacle Course
    - Section Volleyball
    - Section Tug-of-war
    - Log Race followed by Obstacle Course - Exercise Safari Park.
    - Command Tasks
    - Lecturettes - Presentation On Any Chosen Subject
    - Tour Of House
    - 10 - 20km March with Command Tasks at checkpoints - Exercise Super Stars
    - Fieldcraft Night Exercise - Exercise Shark Eye
    - March & Shoot at Pirbright Ranges
    - Navigation Exercise followed by Fieldcraft Night Exercise - Exercise Tender Foot
    - Log Run and Obstacle Course - The Wish Stream Race at RMAS
  7. Went on CLC in 2005 (10-16 july)...was very good fun! It is not hard physically at all, a few log races and assualt course races...being chased by the regs in jeeps while "tabbing" cross country...but you will find that when you finish, you will be mentally drained...constantly on the go...I fell asleep for 2 hours after I finished.

Some tips:

Don't be a know it all, be keen, but not big headed!

When leading, be calm and in control (sounds obvious, but I had one girl crying when she was trying to lead us...)

Down loads of food! (you have no choice on ur last night!)...oh be prepared for karioke! :)

Hope this helps!

8. First-class establishment.

Work hard; play hard.

Very civilised DS, officers etc., who will appreciate you if you really bust a gut for them (and FP Hospital is just up the road, if reqd.)

CTC Frimley has its own tri-service tie (scarf for the gels) which I have frequently worn with pride and great affection ever since my all-too-brief time there. Hard work + hard play = great fun!

9. Quite possibly.

In FP hospital? :?

Or did your Ma miss the bus? Not unknown . . . . . 8) 8O

At the very least, you ought to have a FP tie (or scarf, if of the female sexualization). :roll:
  10. I have to say that of all the units I saw there in 2006, CCF, ACF, ATC and RM cadets, the ATC were the quickest to learn and I thought were the most impressive considering their lack of experience before the course, so you're in good company.

My experiences were pretty much the same as those given above, not as physically demanding as you'd expect, but pretty mentally demanding, with quite a bit of sleep deprivation in the second half of the week. At one point I was duty NCO for the platoon, and had no reliable alarm to wake me so I just stayed awake rather then risk sleeping late. A few, very few people just crack and can't carry out command tasks, but they will be in the tiny minority.

The caliber of almost all the people you meet there will impress you no end, I saw at least two people from my RCB and many others were there who were dedicated to joining the regular forces. One of the guys in my section had a problem whereby him body kept producing flem in vast quantities, it didn't stop him on the log run though; start running, puke. 100 meters later, puke. puke at the end. Still kept up and didn't stop running, it was bloody impressive. Then again, he was a bootie. Social differences count for nothing there, there was a bloke in my section who turned up in a leather coat and had self harm marks in rather impressive quantities, however, he was respected and his advice was taken because he knew his stuff; that's something you don't often see in normal life, especially in day to day schooling, at Frimley it didn't matter as long as you knew your stuff. That kind of attitude made Frimley one of the best weeks of my life. Shame the CCF doesn't run a Master- Cadet course.
  11. hey, ive got a place on the course this year, 8th -14th July. Lots of people have posted that it wasnt as physically demanding as they expected. Do the fitness requirements given in the application process(44 press-ups followed by 1.5miles in 11.5 minutes) give an accurate level of required fitness or are people saying that it wasnt as demanding as they thought because they were completing this test with minutes to spare?
  12. Unless a lot has changed, they will work you pretty hard; but will expect you to be bright and shiny and sociably presentable in the evenings, as they run as good a temporary mess as I've come across.

A very cultivated, civilised setup. 8)

If you are due to perform on the indoor .22 range, leave ample time to get your breath back after runs etc. Or wangle it so you shoot first, before sweating-up.

Good luck! I rather envy you . . . . . :D
  13. I've been three times, I'm back again in July this year to help out on the CLC from 22nd July, first time doing that so I'm looking forward to it - although hear is very busy and hard work for everyone involved!
  14. I personally think that it is excellent that the varied cadet organisations have somewhere of the calibre of Frimley for courses relating to both adults and cadets. Quality courses for those particular horses and an appropriate level of introduction to the 'mess' side of things without overdoing it.
  15. I've just come back from my AI's course and thoroughly enjoyed my time there. The week is very busy with alot crammed in but the friends you make and the laughs you have make it all worthwhile. I hope to go back to help out on a CLC or AI's course next year.