Friends way outside your rank

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by scc970, May 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Strange things happen in life.
    As my dad was saying a couple of days ago if he told his barrack mates 50 years ago that one day he would have a retired Brigadier crying on his shoulder about a dog when he was a rock ape LAC they would have laughed him out of camp, but it happened.
    This ex Signals Brigadier became a family friend via a charity, but before I got out (as a lance jack) had apparently been my boss at several levels above.
    My dad has been blind for 42 years and relying on guide dogs, so he was the only one that he knew that he could talk to about the loss of a working dog.
    Any others here had similar experiences?
  2. I used to play cricket with His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular.
    I once held his drink whilst he buggered kate Adie.
  3. I thought everyone had buggered Kate Adie. I was asking about the unusual!
  4. I'm fairly confident that my grandmother hasn't.
  5. Does having a drink in the Mess with Prince Philip count?
  6. Only if he lets you call him "The Greekster" and you've wrestled naked with him.
  7. Well as we marched past him on the last cenotaph parade my dad asked who was taking the salute, so i told him 'Phil the Greek' just as he looked in my direction. Guess I ain't going to be on any honours list - like I was anyway!
  8. I once caddied for a one star. Did not know it was him till the next Monday.

I told me mates that the man could not play golf if his life depended on it.

He got wind of me sentiments and then sent up for me to his office and this is roughly how it went:

"Private First Class DD, I have been told you have some thoughts about my golf game."

"No, Sir!"

"So you don't believe I golfed horribly last weekend, do you?"

"No, Sir.!"

"You never made any remarks disparaging my game, did ya?"

"No, Sir!"

"My swing on the 17th hole did not cause me to lose the game, did it?"

"No, Sir!"

"Do you think my wife is hot?"

"No Sir!"

Let's just say my relationship with the man has been rather frosty since then.
  9. I shoudn't worry about it DD, golf is a game played by cunts. If you like, you can tell him i said that.
  10. I did have an intelligent reply that got lost somewhere. So in the best traditions of ARRSE & the No Ambition & Fcuk all Interest.... You sir are a cnut. lol
  11. I was opened a barrier for a Captain?

Edited to add sorry should read- I once opened a barrier for a Captain?
  12. Do you mean you removed your trousers? :D
  13. I was a young able semen back in the 1970's. I worked in the wardroom & was cleaning the heads and got very friendly with a Rear Admiral. We would often meet in discreet places around the base for friendship & laughter. He managed to pull a few strings and got me posted onto his staff, his wife never had an idea of our relationship.

He was an absolute gentleman and treated me with great respect & the difference in rank meant nothing.

Unfortunately we were both caught fisting a Dutch defence attache in the toilets in Harvey Nicks in 1983. I went to Colchester to the Motor Cycle Training Centre for 6 months and was discharged. He got 10 months in Pentonville Jail and was stripped of his commission. The Dutch gentleman was promoted.

AB Semen-Staines
    HMS Reachround
  14. Once waited on Sir Douglas Bader at a lest we forget do at Hampton Court.Smashing fellow(made sure all the lads had a smoke and drink),didn't know at the time that i'd wind up hollow legged as well. :wink:
  15. I know a bloke who's wife used to work for his charity as a Matron, they both say is was a great man and were proud to know him.

I know a retired Major... he thinks I'm a cnut... I know he's a cnut.