• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Friends on joint maneuvers.

http://www.mosnews.com/news/2005/05/30/rususexercises.shtml

Russian Defense Minister Sergei Ivanov has lauded the Russian-U.S. wargames that were held in the town of Solnechnogorsk not far from Moscow in the end of May, the Interfax news agency reports.

“The exercises were successful,” Ivanov reported to Russian President Vladimir Putin on Monday.

A total of 275 soldiers and officers, including a U.S. motorized infantry company from the First Armored Division and a Russian motorized rifle company took part in maneuvers named Torgau-2005 after a German port on the Elbe where U.S. and Soviet troops joined forces in the final days of World War II on May 23-28. The servicemen practiced a defensive fight against the third party in order to fulfill the UN decision. Over 130 U.S. military men tested Russian military hardware and carried out combat shootings with weapons of Russian motorized units.

On May 30 the second stage of exercises, during which Russian servicemen will familiarize with US military hardware and weapons, began at the U.S. firing ground Grafenwohr in Germany.
I think that is a good time for joint Russian-British maneuvers. I would be very happy in this case.

Came very close over the airport in Kosovo, or so I'm told 8O .

In Kosovo the Russians sent a complete BTR crew home via CHECHNYA for being pissed when a load of UN big wigs tipped up

Hmm, considering we had troops exercising with and training Georgian soldiers (shown on TV) not so long ago while the two countries were happily enganged in a playfight, we seem to be playing the divide quite nicely. I believe there are are other eastern European countries whose militaries we are supporting against the wishes of Moscow including the Ukraine to name one major player in the region. Mmm, the two-faced nature of politics.

Bladensburg said:
Came very close over the airport in Kosovo, or so I'm told 8O .
Hi!

'Arguments and facts' is a popular Russian weekly. Few years ago its circulation was 20mln. Now 'only' 2-3 mln.

http://www.aif.ru/oldsite/976/art000.html

Подданные английской королевы попытались силой попасть в аэропорт. Горячую голову британского танкиста остудил российский паренек, выйдя с гранатометом в руках один на один с танком. У натовского вояки не выдержали нервы…

Победили англичан российские десантники и в международном футбольном матче на аэродромном поле, забив в ворота соперника 3 гола. Единственный мяч в наши ворота протолкнул… российский офицер, игравший за команду англичан, у которых не хватило нападающего по левому краю.
Translation.

Men of her majesty attempted to penetrate into airport by force. Russian young fellow cooled the hot head of British tanker by RPG in hands face to face with the tank. NATO warrior did not maintain the nerves...

Russian paratroopers won Englanders, also, in the international football match in the airport field, after clogging 3 goals. Only ball into our gates pushed... Russian officer, who played for the command of the Englishmen, that hadn't left forvard.
As for me then I prefer joint maneuvers and football matches without political games.

Note: word English is frequently used in meaning British in Russian.

Ah. Argumenty u Fakty - how I loved that "paper" at Uni. Helped no end understanding Russian idiomatics.

Let's not forget the Russian Colonel in Chechnya who flogged a tank to the enemy to pay of gamblinf debts, though!

Seriously, the more we in the UK and Europe work together with you guys, the better. We should, I believe, work towards an United Stated of Europe - it's Churchill;s idea, after all.

Woo
London

Classic from the mists of time

"Next Year's Camp will be in South Armagh,Some of the locals have agreed to act as enemy.................."

trickywoo56 said:
Ah. Argumenty u Fakty - how I loved that "paper" at Uni. Helped no end understanding Russian idiomatics.

Let's not forget the Russian Colonel in Chechnya who flogged a tank to the enemy to pay of gamblinf debts, though!

Seriously, the more we in the UK and Europe work together with you guys, the better. We should, I believe, work towards an United Stated of Europe - it's Churchill;s idea, after all.

Woo
London
Hi Woo!

15 years ago 'A&F' was a NEWSPAPER but now it is rather simply a paper (even worse than the Sun).

Btw, surname of the author of the article in A&F is maiden surname of my (Catholic born, Polish) late grandmother. Maybe even he is my distant relative. So I refered to A&F mainly for this reason.

United Stated of Europe? Excellet idea. Later or sooner it will be realised. I don't see alternative.

cdo_gunner said:
... after a German port on the Elbe where U.S. and Soviet troops joined forces in the final days of World War II on May 23-28.
History clearly wasn't this journo's best subject at school i see :roll:
You are very attentive! I missed it. The journo indeed should be ashamed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/april/27/newsid_3563000/3563723.stm

According to a statement issued by Downing Street, the commanders of a United States division and of a Russian Guards division met at Torgau, south of Berlin on 26 April at 1600 hours local time./quote]