Friend has mild disability and wants to join the TA. Possible???

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by gibbo42, Aug 28, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. My friend has just said he’d like to join the TA with me when I’m ready to sign up myself, he has a very mild form of cerebral palsy but if he,

1. Doesn’t require any support at all.
    2. Doesn't take any form of medication for it.
    3. Can walk and run fine. (Can even out run me over short distances! Lol)
    4. Can handle, fire and reload guns fine. (pellet guns, bb guns, air guns at fairs)
    5. Passes all the army fitness tests.

Do any of you guys think he’ll be allowed to join the TA?

Worried about him signing up then finding out half way through that he can’t join. :-(

2. I Very much doubt the MoD would want take someone on at risk who already has a disability such as cerebral palsy even if is mild currently, it's a complete mine field for them especially with an illness like this. You are apparently from a generation that has no idea a flat foot used to be a a drama.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Fit for work not To to serve. I call really poor wind-up; then again it's not Friday yet!m

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

4. Hi my friend is blind, could they join as a Dog handler. Willing to supply the Dog too.

• Like Like x 15
  5. I got a mate with mental issues can he be a para? Shit, yes, I suppose he can!

• Like Like x 2
  6. Hi,

I don't have any friends.

Do any of you guys like airsoft?

• Like Like x 7
  7. He can shoot and pass the fitness test? Vastly overqualified IMO.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Not a chance.

9. Were you and your mate at a military show last month going round the recruiting stands? No offence, but you really need to cut down on playing Call of Duty if you think it is acceptable for someone with mild cerebral palsy to join the TA/Army. Because it is the TA, doesn't mean it has lower requirements for medicals. It doesn't. These days you are expected to mobilise on Operations and with the way things are going, it might even be Syria next. Can you honestly say you'd be comfortable with your friend having Cerebral Palsy on Operations with a loaded weapon and rounds coming at him. It's not a video game!

10. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

If he has the relevant skills, then do some investigating into the new cyber reserve, or whatever they are going to call it. I'm sure that they'd sign on Stephen Hawking in a flash if they could, and I've seen sights in one certain location that would put a mild CP sufferer at the very 'soft' end of the spectrum as regards fitness!

Seriously - if not that, then no, not a snowball in hell's chance - please explain this to him.

11. Most people in the T.A have a mild disability.

• Like Like x 4
  12. The best way to get answers to questions like this is clearly on arrse, not from the recruiter type people, whoever they are these days.

13. It's Capita, and if my past experience of that firm is anything to go by, applicants would be more likely to get a helpful and accurate response by writing their questions on a bit of paper and then putting it up their own bottoms, than asking Crapita employees.

• Like Like x 4