Friday Night in A&E.

Thankfully not all night. Trying to cut a v. long story short: Went to G.P. at 14.00hrs about an infected wound caused by a fall because of my brain-damage (excellent trash movie if I remember) and told to go to A&E for them to have a gander.
Hospital is 10 mins. away by bus.
The place is already full of moon-howlers, noisy selfish b@stards & street garbage but the staff are calm, polite and professional, even down to the med. student volunteering his time.
All that I needed was a gander at the wound, an x-ray (just in case which turned out to need to be investigated elsewhere tomorrow) and a prescription for antibiotics.
Unfortunately, because of the disruptives (one of whom I know well) each tying up 3 to 5 staff at a time for prolonged periods of time, the wait for info. was hours at a time and they could finally punt me out some 8 hours later when they could scratch a few mins. to print off my prescription for the on site pharmacy (which had been closed for more than 2 hrs.
How do they put up with this? I would have lost my sh1t with these vermin. There were seven (at least) calls for security too and the ward was horrificaly understaffed.
I honestly do not know how they do it and, after an 8+ hour sojourn that should have been a couple of hrs. I am truly grateful to them.
Apologies. I tried short but failed but it is considerably shorter than it it could/should be.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

Your own fault. You should always try to injure yourself at about 07:00 on a Tuesday morning when the A&E queue is shorter.

The Royal Gwent hospital in Newport is the same. Especially when the weather is crap. The druggies/homeless alkies etc come into A&E, they know EXACTLY what to say to ensure that they get a nice comfy bed and a couple of free meals, doesn't stop them wandering off the ward to pick up their smack though.

One was recently found dead in a toilet after OD'ing but had been on the ward for 3 days, the twats treat it like a hotel.
They do know though, that some Dr's and Senior nurses will take no shit off them and they know to avoid them.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The Royal Gwent hospital in Newport is the same. Especially when the weather is crap. The druggies/homeless alkies etc come into A&E, they know EXACTLY what to say to ensure that they get a nice comfy bed and a couple of free meals, doesn't stop them wandering off the ward to pick up their smack though.

One was recently found dead in a toilet after OD'ing but had been on the ward for 3 days, the twats treat it like a hotel.
They do know though, that some Dr's and Senior nurses will take no shit off them and they know to avoid them.

Not a new phenomenon.

I fondly recall as a student in the 80s we would work shifts in A&E.

Some folk would arrive with a greater knowledge of the formulary and exactly what we could prescribe.

However most were sadly disappointed when only offered an extraction of the offending tooth.

A series of excuses would then be forthcoming from them why it could not be done there and then, followed by a demand to see a doctor with greater prescribing authority than us.

Doctor would either cave and write quick prescription or refuse stating dental problem. If the latter the miscreant was usually off sharpish before I even had got gloves on!

The wife’s old work colleagues at the Cumberland infirmary said that in the first lockdown last year weekends were a doddle.
No pubs open and hence none of the violent drunks smashing fvck out of each other.
They saw more druggies however as their style was severely cramped.
No shops open to shoplift out of.( or those that were open were quiet with more security. )No shoppers to beg off in the street, and the final two kickers. On deserted streets their dealers stuck out like sore thumbs to the police, as did their suppliers trying to do courier runs on largely car free motorways.
A very cynical member of security there thought that half a kilo of uncut smack in the right place in may, would have reduced Cumbria’s crime figures by a third for 5 years.

964ST

War Hero
It sounds like a relentless ordeal, for a sector that “demands” respect at all times (not just at COVID times) As well as all the other support structures that have to deal with this type of DROSS!
Instead of having a movement sensor on the entrance door to casualty, they should have a breath/drug tester system before they gain access and the “respect” to be treated.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Has ever been thus. My cousin is a paramedic back in Liverpool. Friday night is the shift that no-one wants. He calls it the three D's:

Drunks, Druggies and Domestics.

Or a combination of all 3. Domestics often kick off as one or both partners are either completely p!ssed or else bombed out of their heads at which point they will kick off and one or other will get beaten to a pulp. It's not always the woman who will come off worst as the woman will often pick up a weapon and set about the male. Kitchen knife is favourite, but glass ashtrays can make a mess of your face.

Druggies will do absolutely anything to get a hit, including trying to nick bits off the ambulance to sell and also trying to steal wallets and possessions from the paramedics treating them. Drunks are usually blood injuries from fights or walking into / falling off things and general fvckwittery. Domestics can be anything, pushed down stairs, stab wounds, blunt force injuries etc.

Domestics are the worst because one partner will not want to grass the other up. They've even had several that have kicked off inside the ambo and had to be physically separated.

Last edited:
Has ever been thus. My cousin is a paramedic back in Liverpool. Friday night is the shift that no-one wants. He calls it the three D's:

Or a combination of all 3. Domestics often kick off as one or both partners are either completely p!ssed or else bombed out of their heads at which point they will kick off and one or other will get beaten to a pulp. It's not always the woman who will come off worst as the woman will often pick up a weapon and set about the male. Kitchen knife is favourite, but glass ashtrays can make a mess of your face.

Druggies will do absolutely anything to get a hit, including trying to nich bits off the ambulance to sell and also trying to steal wallets and possessions from the paramedics treating them. Drunks are usually blood injuries from fights or walking into / falling off things and general fvckwittery. Domestics can be anything, pushed down stairs, stab wounds, blunt force injuries etc.

Domestics are the worst because one partner will not want to grass the other up. They've even had several that have kicked off inside the ambo and had to be physically separated.
My Son In Law is a paramedic, not so much on the front line now as he heads up training. He was in the Southampton area and he reckoned 80/20 split on calls, 80% drink/drugs & 20% normal work. Moved to the Isle of Wight 4 years ago and its a 20/80 split but the 80% is mainly heart attack, strokes etc as the Island population is highly decrepit (lots of retirees).

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the A&E problems is the failure to refuse to send away those who could see a GP if they bothered to make an appointment. Once people learn they can short circuit the system more and more turn up.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Druggies will do absolutely anything to get a hit, including trying to nich bits off the ambulance to sell and also trying to steal wallets and possessions from the paramedics treating them. Drunks are usually blood injuries from fights or walking into / falling off things and general fvckwittery. Domestics can be anything, pushed down stairs, stab wounds, blunt force injuries etc.

1613208596962.png

The two main hospitals in Merseyside are the Royal in Liverpool, and Arrowe Park on the Wirral. Because of Arrowe Park's remote location, very few smackheads/homeless are around. But because of the central location of the Royal, across the road are the highest concentration of junkies/homeless in the city. I have moved to a place couple hundred metres towards the city centre, may pass by there late Fri/Sat nights to see the entertainment

One of the A&E problems is the failure to refuse to send away those who could see a GP if they bothered to make an appointment. Once people learn they can short circuit the system more and more turn up.
It would also help if Surgeries were to have a walk in / short notice appointment system to see a Nurse, and if GPs went back to offering weekend and out of hours cover.

964ST

War Hero
Imagine what A&E is like in Americaland? Where even “Decent peeps”? Are dependent!?
(not saying that Judge Judy is a crack head, but she has a BLM minder and at the best of times her decisions are irrational!)

B42T

LE

what do you need to say?
I could do with a few days b+b, lounging in bed all day.

I must say that A&E is a place that I really do not miss.
I saw two domestic cases where the male was the abused; neither were looking for sympathy, but had gone to pieces. One, a colleague, tried to beat out his own brains on the trolley.
My oldest friend's father turned up with self poisoning, a few weeks later here came said friend having done the same. Both survived.
What I do regret missing was another good colleague, and brother of a good friend, rushing in with his baby. A cot death, no hope of resuscitation. I wish I'd been there.

We have different challenges in care homes, more chronic than acute, such as watching people to whom we have become close slowly deteriorating.

They've noticed a difference in Newport since the new hospital opened outside Cwmbran.
A&E is now based there, its a mile and a half away from the town centre and 6 miles away from Newport. They have druggies brought in by ambulance now and again but as its out in the sticks essentially, they can't get their drugs delivered, they don't stay long. Security is pretty good and the entire place is covered by cctv.
Lockdown has also had an effect on the scumbags.

Imagine what A&E is like in Americaland? Where even “Decent peeps”? Are dependent!?
(not saying that Judge Judy is a crack head, but she has a BLM minder and at the best of times her decisions are irrational!)

Bro, do you even English?

Latest Threads