Friday morning rant!!!!

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Sympathetic_Reaction, Oct 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I’m starting to get annoyed by the today programme on Radio 4, it keeps doing ‘news’ during my drive to work that is specifically designed to piss me off and make me start my day in a bad mood.

Today was a discussion about how the ‘cuts’ in public spending will affect Sheffield (God knows why Sheffield specifically), anyway supposedly Sheffield council have started cutting services and the one they were banging on about was ‘connections’ (which is probably spelt in some fancy way with an X but it’s radio so I couldn’t tell).

This ‘service’ is a telephone and other ‘advice’ service for ‘young adults’ to help them through the complicated choices about further education (everything past primary school I assume). There was an interview with a head teacher and some pupils at a ‘deprived’ school about how the recent play (yes they do plays about it) has helped them understand the options they have in education. It is supposedly critical to these kids that they have it explained to them in simple noddy terms that an education is a good thing and that there are different ways to get one.

So my main problem with this is……SO WHAT THE F*** DO TEACHERS DO?

If your teacher can’t get this simple message across without the aid of some state funded thespian group then how the hell are they going to teach a proper subject?

Anyway got that off my chest…have a good Friday everyone.

p.s. just realised you can tell how pissed off I get by the number of words that appear in quotes.
  2. It's a Friday? Are you really sure?
  3. 'Sympathetic_Reaction' how I sympathise with your reaction to the Labour Party's Propaganda Division - Radio 4 'Today'.

Now the inconvenience of the Tory Party's 'shindig' in Birmingham is finished, Radio 4 can resume its masturbatory and orgasmic coverage of the irrelevant and doomed to be forgotten Miliband and his 'shadow cabinet'. What a farce! Union dinosaurs such as Crowe tell the Labour Party leader who to have in the shadow cabinet. Additionally, enhancing the farce, Labour shadow cabinet twerps are selected on gender!

However, we must thank this crazed 'system' for sparing us from having to hear from the hideously hateful and permanently orange tinged Hain; the deviant Bradshaw (he with the wilful and ill-mannered toy-boy friend) and Shaun 'Turncoat' Woodward. Results!!!
  4. the Connexions Service is the modern equivalent of what used to be the Careers Service but with other agencies brought under its offices in order to save costs.

Teachers teach. Careers advisors from Connexions advise teenagers and their parents on their options and what is available in terms of courses and education and how they can fund themselves whilst doing it. Teachers do not have the time or breadth of up to date knowledge of what is available.

They also offer advice on housing, drug awareness and sexual health.

The problem with the Connexions service is it has never promoted itself very well and most of the general public have never heard of it.

Connexions Direct - Homepage
  5. You are lucky, S_R, that you didn't hear the later article about large families where the interviewer had a typical left-wing BBC agenda and the interviewee had a typical right-wing agenda, somewhat ameliorated by the fact that she now needed to call on the State to support her family.

Lots of "well, we don't want to go down that route..." and rustling of paper as he tried to find his way out of the mess that he had just created.

I wanted to rant.. but it's Friday.

6. Didn't know about them either until my 15-year-old told me about them. They do quite a good service.
  7. They're going to highlight Sheffield a lot because Nick Clegg's constituency is there. It's a deliberate attempt to drive a wedge between the LibDems and the Tories.
  8. wedge_cadman

wedge_cadman War Hero Reviewer Book Reviewer

Changed that for you, we are talking about Sheffield after all
  9. You obviously haven’t been involved in any capacity in the educational system in the last 10 years. They don’t care to impart knowledge, educate, guide, but merely talk you through a set syllabus with the emphasis on how to pass an exam. All you are taught is what is going to come up on the paper and how to construct an answer that will pass.

That is schooling in the 21st century. So I totally understand that there are scores of kids out there that haven’t a Scooby about what their options are and what to do next. Why do you think so many more young adults are going off to uni these days? Because like sheep they just follow each other, not knowing why. Ever wondered why so many kids go off to do American Studies or get a degree in David Beckham? They didn’t know why either, but with no real advice what do you expect.
  10. Sheffield Council. Currently paying off The Commonwealth Games at a rate of £25 Million a year for 24 years since 2001 for a Games that cost £147 Million in 1991 to stage and last another £10 Million.

The council that built the Supertram, with money from 3 other councils, made a loss running it, sold it to Stagecoach and Gosh, Stagecoach made a profit......

That's Sheffield
  11. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Sorry I don't agree with that at all....the school is there to provide an educational should cover everything from personal responsibility through health on to academic subjects. Teachers are there to guide and direct the education of thier students, this should include their future options. An external service can only provide information, it cannot direct as it will never understand the history of the individual, whereas (at least in theory) the school should understand the pupils ability and personal needs which should be the primary force in guiding them onwards.

Schools seem to be withdrawing into a self imposed limited world of pure academia (I say this as someone with 4 family members in teaching from the mother-in-law whose been doing it for 30 years to the sister-in-law who has just started - and they all agree) and avoiding the difficult part of education which is educating pupils.

My old school contracted every teacher to provide a minimum of 5 hours a week 'extra curicula' activity. This included careers guidance, personal mentoring, drug awareness and pupil advocacy. There was a structure of year heads, class teachers, a pan year house system - this was all aimed at ensuring that the pupils were supported throughout their school life and given the direction and support needed to achieve their personal goals/aims/best.

There should be no need for external government funded services to provide this service - it should most definitely not be needed for them to go round schools actively promoting and 'educating' via the medium of dance (or acting)...this is, or at least should be, a core part of the schools purpose. At worst any external group should be a training and information source for teachers and schools to use to keep themselves current.

p.s. it's going to be one of those days...need to let off steam...the lack of sleep from a newborn at home might be starting to affect me...wibble wibble wibble.
  12. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

S_R, I'm with you on it mostly. The problem is that to get consistent advice some of it has to be independent of the school.

However in my experience of the Careers Service (you can either be a teacher or a nurse if you aren't going to university) and my offspring's experience of Connexions (oh! you've been in the sixth form for three months? Is it too late to discuss alternatives?') both are a total waste of money.

That may not apply to families where education is considered a penance to be endured until one can start claiming the dole, of course.

As to Radio 4, last night's PM interviewer failed to ask the benefit-claiming man with eight children, four from his wife's first marriage and four of theirs, including some 'unplanned' ones, why the heck he hadn't had the snip before all these accidents happened! Their total news reporting now is cuts, cuts, cuts, Labour internal politics, cuts, cuts, and more cuts. I wonder what else is going on in the world?

Not a rant, but I'm so fed up with this bias!
  13. So you didn't hear Mair give both barrels to a parent of 8 Yesterday on PM then? Culminating in the interviewee whinging that he had 8 kids because "It just sort of happened" and Mair saying "You do know how it happens don't you?"

As to the general rant on the thread, Grow up. I had careers advisors in school when I left in 86, and whilst uniformly rubbish they were there then and hopefully will be in the future.

Teachers to teach? Went down the Swannee with Targets. Teach to Test is the only way you'll get reasonable return from a bunch of recalcitrant 16 year olds.

Lose targets, allow a vocational stream alongside the academic and you'll have far better results. Hell you may even get apprentices who know more than how to stir the tea.
  14. You will not be surprised to learn that the Conextions service is a source of VERY well paid jobs for the Guardian reading types.

A colleague was involved re-tendering the Merseyside service, the sums involved were staggering and you will not be surprised either that after a “fair” competition it went back to their mates (ex council employees)

15. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

I heard the interview, but thought Mair let the scrounging git off lightly!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.