Fresh Tuna

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by Gracie, Oct 9, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been lucky enough to receive some lovely 2" thick fresh Tuna Steaks. Does any one have any nice ideas for cooking them?

(I have about 12 in total so will need lots of different ways to cook them)
  2. Simple is best. Grill (over charcoal is good) +black pepper + lemon juice. Don't overcook.
  3. George Foreman grill, give them 10 minutes then sprinkle on some salt and pepper, pop in some microwave chips and then serve with ample supplies of daddies brown sauce.
  4. Mix up fresh breadcrumbs, chopped parsley and chopped pine nuts in a bowl, season with salt and pepper. Press your steaks into this mixture until covered. Now get your (non-stick) pan very hot, add a bit of plain olive oil (NOT extra virgin). When the oil is hot fry the steaks until the crust is golden brown, but be careful not to cook the tuna all the way through, as tuna can be quite dry if over-cooked. Serve with a large slice of lemon.

There's one to start you off.

Edited to add; Only just noticed that you said they are two inches thick. Cook on a medium heat.
  5. Salt and pepper steaks, sear on really hot pan both sides and serve pink in middle (assuming tuna is really fresh), I would not advise 10 mins on george as they will be overcooked.
  6. Is this your Pork Chop recipe cunningly adapted for Tuna?
  7. Mmm..lucky you...two ideas:-

1. Marinade the Tuna in oil, fresh chilli, fresh coriander and the juice of a lime for at least 30 minutes. Then cook quickly so that the Tuna stays pink in the middle.

2. Cut the Tuna into strips and marinade in soy sauce (the light version is better for this), fresh chilli, fresh ginger and garlic. Stir fry very quickly adding a teaspoon of rice wine vinegar.
  8. Its quite acceptable for the tuna to remain quite pink-ish on the inside.

Like others have said, its very easy to over-cook Tuna.

Turn the heat very low or off ...and the tuna will continue to cook for a few more minutes
  9. Place tuna steak in foil, squirt some lemon juice on it and place in medium oven for about 15 mins

Can also add chilli to it if desired.
  10. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

Tuna parcels.

Get 2 psheets of foil about 4x the size of the steaks.
    place picked (not chopped) parsley in the middle. enough to sit the steaks on so that it doesn't touch the foil.
    Place tuna on top of parsley. Season with salt, pepper (black) and any herbs that you like. ( for me rosemary and dill is nice).
    Put 1 nob of butter on top and squeeze of 1/4 lemon juice.

Fold all the sides up of the foil and fold together, making sure the foil doesn't touch the fish.

Cook on a BBQ or in the oven(240C) for about 8 minutes.

Serve with and veg or potatoe of your liking.
  11. Don't listen to anyone except blueygirl, who obviously knows her stuff.

I would generally serve tuna griddled (seared or rare) with salad type accompaniments, or complemented with far east type flavours, whether marinaded into the tuna, or served alongside.

Carpaccio of tuna (extremely thin slices of raw tuna - and I mean extremely) with lime or lemon juice is also good.

Bon appetit!
  12. I have a griddle... some lime, chilli, corriander.... some salad and some lovely tiny maris piper potatoes ..... yum....

Its really good Tuna so I might have a go at the Carpaccio....
  13. So much you can do with really good quality tuna, you lucky girl!

Forgive me if I'm preaching to the converted with some of the advice.

A couple of suggestions

Very simple one - take some cherry tomatoes, lightly coat in olive oil, put in a baking dish with a couple of sprigs of woody rosemary, put in oven at 180 for about 10 minutes, heat up the griddle pan till very hot, season the tuna each side, then sear turning after a minute and a half, two minutes. Take a rocket and spinach salad, microwave for 45 seconds. Salad on the plate, tuna on top, cherry toms around the side and drizzle the rosemary infused oil over the top.

Tuna nicoise. Seared tuna same way as above then the usual suspects, french beans blanched and refreshed, new potatoes cooked with skins on and cooled, decent olives, tomatoes peeled and cut into eight (trick to this is to peel them in cold water after you've scored the skins and dunked in almost boiling water till the scores start to lift), hard boiled eggs, peppers sliced thinly, anchovies but really good quality ones. The sauce is the best bit in my humble opinion. All the herbs you can find in any amount except more than 1 large sage leaf and coriander. Into a hand held blitzer bowl with a small clove of garlic crushed, a couple of capers, olive oil and a table spoon of grained mustard. Blitz till a sauce, adding oo as required. Season sauce and serve.

Depending on how sharp your knives are, one way to get wafer thin slices of anything from beef to tuna is to put it in the freezer wrapped tightly in cling film for up to half an hour for a couple of tuna steaks and an hour for beef if you're making beef carpaccio.

14. Forgot that one! Quite agree. Thanks!

Thanks for that one, too!
  15. When Im showing off, I trim my tuna into a rectangular prism lengthways across the steak. Then I roll it in fresh cracked black pepper and a touch of sea salt, and sear it on all sides (you do the ends first so you can hold it without burning your fingers). When thats done, you deglaze the pan with about half a bottle of cheap balsamic, and reduce that to a thick syrup. If your in a mood to cheat put a spot of honey in too.
    Slice the tuna into 1/4" slices and arrange neatly on a plate of herby salad leaves, then drizzle the hot balsamic glaze over the lot. A squeeze of lime or lemon doesnt go amiss either