Fresh Ideas / Inspiration

Discussion in 'Officers' started by fuctifino, Dec 14, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need some assistance with a minor issue which is in danger of growing into a bloody great embarrassment if not attended to, I and a number of friends are turning 40 in the not too distant and I am seeking some sort of inspiration for a truly memorable birthday event for the reasonably well heeled, slightly less physically active, supposedly more mature group that I am reported to be a member of these days!!

Bear in mind when responding that I have made a deliberate choice where I am posting this! i.e. it isn't in the NAAFI!

Ta

2. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Weekend of clay/game shooting in Scotland has been proven effective....

3. Drive some high quality automotive metal around the Nurburgring

4. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Golf, then Town to a very, very smart restuarant somewhere (try one of Gordon Ramsey's)...followed by Ronnie Scotts

The Whiskey Trail in Scotland: http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/default.asp

Want to re-live your youth - Rock Am Ring - 3 day rock festival in Germany near Koln. Put your drinking head on for a boys trip only...

A weekend skiing trip to the Alps...

A weeks sking trip to Banff...

New York on the lash for a weekend.

Munich Oktober Fest - oh yes, thats the badger...

5. He said 40, not 60.

6. If you want to really go mental, then there is always:

Thunder City which is very whizzy!

7. Bowmore_Assassin

Dilfor, point taken but if you are an 'old' 40 then my first option might suit.

If not all the others I listed may hit the mark and if you can afford it do them all...(I wish).

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

How about a weekend at Knob creek or you can plan a weekend of sporting shooting in the UK, lots of opportunities and you dont need to climb the glen whatsits to stalk deer.

9. It was a cheap jibe based purely upon my personal and slightly irrational prejudices against golf.

I actually think your ideas are pretty good, although would, myself, probably go for the shooting options suggested by Alsacien instead - partly because I love shooting, but also because it is almost always a winner for those that have never done it before.

10. This also neatly takes into account that we are all sad tw@ts and have been playing (badly) for the last 10 years or so! That aside there are some excellent ways to waste significant quantites of cash in here, i like the idea; but ..... Duck Herding, PMSL.

Thanks for the suggesions it has started the thought processes flowing nicely thanks, at this rate though it looks like a long weekend in Vegas is on the cards, Harumph, did I say Vegas, silly me must have slipped out I meant New York, darling. Oooeer, did it again, sorry love I meant to say York, yes we're celebrating our 40th birthdays by having a 5 day weekend in York, or possibly camping in the Lake District I hear the mobile phone reception up there is terrible.

Right cover in place, so we have a 9 1/2 flight to Vegas.......30minutes from McCarran to Caesar's ........

11. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well taught clays at a half decent shooting school really lifts people especially those who thought they could never do it! I always recommend to new shooters if married to take the whole family for a proper clay coaching session and its amazing how the bug bites!

12. Bowmore_Assassin

No worries Dilfor, whack-f*ck golf is something I do to waste time rather than a serious hobby. I quite like the shooting idea myself, followed by a long weekend on the Whiskey Trail.

Fuctifino, I think it only fair that you produce a full sports report on ARRSE after your 40th celebrations. No skimping on details now...

All things considered - I would favour the Munich, Oktoberfest. A monster session that is hard to beat for a great blokes lash-up. Sadly, I will be unable to make it in 2008...enough to make a man weep into his beer.

13. Bowmore_Assassin

OK, changed my mind. W/E in New York on the lash...