• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Fresh Ideas / Inspiration

I need some assistance with a minor issue which is in danger of growing into a bloody great embarrassment if not attended to, I and a number of friends are turning 40 in the not too distant and I am seeking some sort of inspiration for a truly memorable birthday event for the reasonably well heeled, slightly less physically active, supposedly more mature group that I am reported to be a member of these days!!

Bear in mind when responding that I have made a deliberate choice where I am posting this! i.e. it isn't in the NAAFI!

Ta

Alsacien

MIA
fuctifino said:
I need some assistance with a minor issue which is in danger of growing into a bloody great embarrassment if not attended to, I and a number of friends are turning 40 in the not too distant and I am seeking some sort of inspiration for a truly memorable birthday event for the reasonably well heeled, slightly less physically active, supposedly more mature group that I am reported to be a member of these days!!

Bear in mind when responding that I have made a deliberate choice where I am posting this! i.e. it isn't in the NAAFI!

Ta
Weekend of clay/game shooting in Scotland has been proven effective....

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Book Reviewer
Golf, then Town to a very, very smart restuarant somewhere (try one of Gordon Ramsey's)...followed by Ronnie Scotts

The Whiskey Trail in Scotland: http://www.maltwhiskytrail.com/default.asp

Want to re-live your youth - Rock Am Ring - 3 day rock festival in Germany near Koln. Put your drinking head on for a boys trip only...

A weekend skiing trip to the Alps...

A weeks sking trip to Banff...

New York on the lash for a weekend.

Munich Oktober Fest - oh yes, thats the badger...

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Book Reviewer
Dilfor, point taken but if you are an 'old' 40 then my first option might suit.

If not all the others I listed may hit the mark and if you can afford it do them all...(I wish).

ugly

LE
How about a weekend at Knob creek or you can plan a weekend of sporting shooting in the UK, lots of opportunities and you dont need to climb the glen whatsits to stalk deer.

Soldier-Poet said:

If not all the others I listed may hit the mark and if you can afford it do them all...(I wish).
It was a cheap jibe based purely upon my personal and slightly irrational prejudices against golf.

I actually think your ideas are pretty good, although would, myself, probably go for the shooting options suggested by Alsacien instead - partly because I love shooting, but also because it is almost always a winner for those that have never done it before.

Soldier-Poet said:

This also neatly takes into account that we are all sad tw@ts and have been playing (badly) for the last 10 years or so! That aside there are some excellent ways to waste significant quantites of cash in here, i like the idea; but ..... Duck Herding, PMSL.

Thanks for the suggesions it has started the thought processes flowing nicely thanks, at this rate though it looks like a long weekend in Vegas is on the cards, Harumph, did I say Vegas, silly me must have slipped out I meant New York, darling. Oooeer, did it again, sorry love I meant to say York, yes we're celebrating our 40th birthdays by having a 5 day weekend in York, or possibly camping in the Lake District I hear the mobile phone reception up there is terrible.

Right cover in place, so we have a 9 1/2 flight to Vegas.......30minutes from McCarran to Caesar's ........

ugly

LE
Well taught clays at a half decent shooting school really lifts people especially those who thought they could never do it! I always recommend to new shooters if married to take the whole family for a proper clay coaching session and its amazing how the bug bites!

Bowmore_Assassin

MIA
Book Reviewer
No worries Dilfor, whack-f*ck golf is something I do to waste time rather than a serious hobby. I quite like the shooting idea myself, followed by a long weekend on the Whiskey Trail.

Fuctifino, I think it only fair that you produce a full sports report on ARRSE after your 40th celebrations. No skimping on details now...

All things considered - I would favour the Munich, Oktoberfest. A monster session that is hard to beat for a great blokes lash-up. Sadly, I will be unable to make it in 2008...enough to make a man weep into his beer.

For the New Year I would whole-heartedly recommend a boys' long weekend in St Moritz.

Pack some tweeds and book in advance at the Cresta Run for a couple of runs each morning - it is an absolutely legendary experience. Google "Cresta Run" for details of how to get guest membership, and there's a helmet-cam video which will give you a taste of the run itself.

Hire ski kit for afternoons on the pistes among the various European aristos, Russian Mafia and their extremely pretty wives.

Evenings in the Russian Tea Rooms are particularly interesting if you want to be particularly naughty boys...

Might sound steep, but - given that you can get a cheap flight - probably no more than flying across the Atlantic.

Highly, highly reccommended!

Charlie

B

BirdsAffirm

fuctifino, if you're hitting Vegas you need to watch the Hangover first.

However, if you're doing UK then you might like to try an annual day out I enjoy - it starts with fry up and 100 bird sporting clay shoot at the West London Shooting School. We then head down to just outside Woking for a cheeky 18 holes of rubbish Golf and then return to SW London, drop of shotguns, golf clubs etc. before heading into Teddington to the Teddington Arms for a few beverages and supper, followed by a limo into London to spend too much cash watching ladies remove their clothes whilst we drink really expensive spirits.
On second thoughts, Vegas in a Hangover style might be less expensive...

Latest Threads