FRES

Discussion in 'RAC' started by Chippy_La_La, Nov 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone have the latest int on FRES and the Trials of Truth results?

Grateful for any updates
    Chippy

2. Hope you're not a journo çause I'm just regurgitating some stuff. The cynic in me things the delay is due to an effort to see BAE involved in some way.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article2935711.ece

3. Errrrrrrrrrrrrr! what's a 'FRES'? pardon my ignorance but I last used 'LIAP'. :oops:
    WHOOPS! just seen it in previous post. :oops: :oops: :oops:
    It's me age ya know! CHINA!

4. msr

msr LE

5. Fine. I'll take the wah risk. It's Future Rapids Effects System. Civil serpent speek for a common base chasis for a next gen APC, IFV and Recce vehicle.

As with a defence projects, it's one of those things that gets talked about alot but never seems to produce anything solid (or on schedule) beyond alot of fancy presentations.

6. Nope....... The project was named by a one star donkey walloper. We can blame the Cav for the ropey name :D

7. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

The smart money is still on General Dynamics with a variation of their fishy vehicle built in the UK from UK components.

8. I hope the spec for these new fandangled vehicles always includes a decent BV in the rear. Essential. And a drinks dispenser.

9. i was on fres this time last year trialing a american heap electric drive thing was awefull have a few pics put if you put ahed into defenceimages you will see what it is CRAP

10. No surprise they would drop Boxer, since the UK was originally involved in it's development then dropped out, kind of embarresing to buy a vehicle you said you didn't need 5 years later, anyway, these are just for the utility vehicle part of FRES, there's a few more including a FSV which this
    [​IMG]
    CV90120 T, is one of the front runners...it's not a tank BTW :p

11. There's still a difference these days? :D

12. About £60K an year ? :lol:

13. So the Nexter VBCI wins the trials of 'truth' (oh the irony) and Drayson goes to IAB and says - 'I want VBCI'. The article above would suggest that IAB said 'no, we want Pirahna Evolution'. Drayson then says 'how the f*ck can you say that, it didn't win the trial', IAB then say 'yes we know, but it's French' and then Drayson says 'f*ck off, I resign'. Call me a suspicious minded git, but what was the point of holding the trials, at great expense, if the result was ignored or fudged to give Pirahna Evo a better chance. Perhaps MOD should look to the CSAR-X example in the US for an example of how not to do this.

14. Why are all the FRES options wheeled? I'm sure I remember a lot of people here arguing in favour of tracks..

15. At the moment just the UV will be wheeled. I believe the jury is still out on the others.