FRES

#2
Hope you're not a journo çause I'm just regurgitating some stuff. The cynic in me things the delay is due to an effort to see BAE involved in some way.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article2935711.ece
Army hit by MoD delaying tactics
November 25, 2007
Dominic O’Connell

THE Ministry of Defence is this week expected to fudge a long-awaited decision on a new generation of fighting vehicles for the British Army.

Defence officials were expected to announce which of three vehicles had been chosen for the Fres (Future Rapid Effect System) programme. Some £16 billion will be spent on up to 3,000 vehicles in the next decade.

But defence industry executives now expect the evalution period for the short-listed vehicles to be extended instead.

It was unclear this weekend whether all three vehicles would be retained. One senior source said that two contenders ? the Piranha, made by America’s General Dynamics, and the VBCI, made by France’s Nexter, would be taken forward, with the Boxer, a German-Dutch candidate, dropped.

The delay in picking a winner backs up trade press reports of a split over which should be chosen. Lord Drayson, the defence procurement minister who resigned unexpectedly this month, was understood to be eager to buy the French vehicle, but generals and other defence officials reportedly wanted the American design.

Drayson resigned on November 7, saying he wanted to further his career as a motor racing driver. A former pharmaceuticals and biotech entrepreneur, he had been defence procurement minister since May 2005.

His departure has also delayed other decisions.

Plans to unveil an updated version of the MoD’s Defence Industrial Strategy this month have been put on hold. It is not now expected to be published until next year. Drayson was the architect of the original strategy, which proposed industry ration-alisation and a collaborative approach to projects.
 
#3
Errrrrrrrrrrrrr! what's a 'FRES'? pardon my ignorance but I last used 'LIAP'. :oops:
WHOOPS! just seen it in previous post. :oops: :oops: :oops:
It's me age ya know! CHINA!
 
#5
Fine. I'll take the wah risk. It's Future Rapids Effects System. Civil serpent speek for a common base chasis for a next gen APC, IFV and Recce vehicle.

As with a defence projects, it's one of those things that gets talked about alot but never seems to produce anything solid (or on schedule) beyond alot of fancy presentations.
 
#6
DPM_Sheep said:
Fine. I'll take the wah risk. It's Future Rapids Effects System. Civil serpent speek for a common base chasis for a next gen APC, IFV and Recce vehicle.
Nope....... The project was named by a one star donkey walloper. We can blame the Cav for the ropey name :D
 
#8
I hope the spec for these new fandangled vehicles always includes a decent BV in the rear. Essential. And a drinks dispenser.
 
#9
i was on fres this time last year trialing a american heap electric drive thing was awefull have a few pics put if you put ahed into defenceimages you will see what it is CRAP
 
#10
No surprise they would drop Boxer, since the UK was originally involved in it's development then dropped out, kind of embarresing to buy a vehicle you said you didn't need 5 years later, anyway, these are just for the utility vehicle part of FRES, there's a few more including a FSV which this

CV90120 T, is one of the front runners...it's not a tank BTW :p
 
#12
#13
winnfield said:
Hope you're not a journo çause I'm just regurgitating some stuff. The cynic in me things the delay is due to an effort to see BAE involved in some way.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/business/industry_sectors/engineering/article2935711.ece
Army hit by MoD delaying tactics
November 25, 2007
Dominic O’Connell

THE Ministry of Defence is this week expected to fudge a long-awaited decision on a new generation of fighting vehicles for the British Army.

Defence officials were expected to announce which of three vehicles had been chosen for the Fres (Future Rapid Effect System) programme. Some £16 billion will be spent on up to 3,000 vehicles in the next decade.

But defence industry executives now expect the evalution period for the short-listed vehicles to be extended instead.

It was unclear this weekend whether all three vehicles would be retained. One senior source said that two contenders ? the Piranha, made by America’s General Dynamics, and the VBCI, made by France’s Nexter, would be taken forward, with the Boxer, a German-Dutch candidate, dropped.

The delay in picking a winner backs up trade press reports of a split over which should be chosen. Lord Drayson, the defence procurement minister who resigned unexpectedly this month, was understood to be eager to buy the French vehicle, but generals and other defence officials reportedly wanted the American design.

Drayson resigned on November 7, saying he wanted to further his career as a motor racing driver. A former pharmaceuticals and biotech entrepreneur, he had been defence procurement minister since May 2005.

His departure has also delayed other decisions.

Plans to unveil an updated version of the MoD’s Defence Industrial Strategy this month have been put on hold. It is not now expected to be published until next year. Drayson was the architect of the original strategy, which proposed industry ration-alisation and a collaborative approach to projects.
So the Nexter VBCI wins the trials of 'truth' (oh the irony) and Drayson goes to IAB and says - 'I want VBCI'. The article above would suggest that IAB said 'no, we want Pirahna Evolution'. Drayson then says 'how the f*ck can you say that, it didn't win the trial', IAB then say 'yes we know, but it's French' and then Drayson says 'f*ck off, I resign'. Call me a suspicious minded git, but what was the point of holding the trials, at great expense, if the result was ignored or fudged to give Pirahna Evo a better chance. Perhaps MOD should look to the CSAR-X example in the US for an example of how not to do this.
 
#14
Why are all the FRES options wheeled? I'm sure I remember a lot of people here arguing in favour of tracks..
 
#15
At the moment just the UV will be wheeled. I believe the jury is still out on the others.
 
#16
CrapSpy said:
At the moment just the UV will be wheeled. I believe the jury is still out on the others.
In the same paper it mentioned that the total figure will more than likely be halved. The only people to benifit will be the share holders of BAE & the Yanks :x
 
#17
Vent_Tube_Tester said:
The only people to benifit will be the share holders of BAE & the Yanks :x
No surprise's there then!
 
#18
Vent_Tube_Tester said:
CrapSpy said:
At the moment just the UV will be wheeled. I believe the jury is still out on the others.
In the same paper it mentioned that the total figure will more than likely be halved. The only people to benifit will be the share holders of BAE & the Yanks :x
The same people surely?
 
#19
the only reason that we buy yanks kits is so we can join them in there little terror battles i am sick of it we should go on strike oh yeah forgot we cant but fire brigade can aint they part of the forces in a way the get paid by the govermant .
 
#20
CrapSpy said:
At the moment just the UV will be wheeled. I believe the jury is still out on the others.
That the illustrations were of the UV makes sense, the FRES examples I've seen pictured have all been without turrets. Formation Reconnaissance without a cannon was making me reconsider joining!

;-)
 

Similar threads


Latest Threads

Top