FRES SV and Warrior - new info...

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Alf_Tupper, Jan 13, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With Abbey Wood nearing the short strokes on the two new toys for the boys (March decision), the British contender has launched a new website tarting the merits of their candidates. **** or bust for them, I guess...

Interesting video of their WCSP demonstrator with fire-on-the move footage and one for the anoraks of the 'motor sport-derived' semi-active suspension they're bidding on FRES. Video captioning is a bit crap but it shows the vehicle hitting a ramp without and with the system turned on.

The CV90 tries to turn into a Gripen in the last 60kph sequence... :D

BAE Systems FRESandWarrior

2. Bae systems have invested 4 years to ensure they can be delivered to the frontline as quickly as possible

spending four years on making deliverys quick is kind of defeating the purpose isnt it?

3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Pretty sure they are both 'british' contenders....or at least british companies flogging a modified design from another country...which is as close as it gets nowadays.

S_R

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

This might be a bone question but why are they two separate vehicles, both are medium size, both have tracks, both have the same turret and weapons and both are manufactured by the same company

Why dont we just develop Warrior into FRES Scout

5. When I watch that video I want to buy my own Warrior fleet....

6. http://www.janes.com/events/exhibitions/dsei2009/sections/daily/day2/fres-scout-revealed.shtml

I notice it doesn't say if it was the only entrant though.

I assume it's better. Why we need to call another vehicle SV though, I don't know.

7. Cos the Infantry needs its Warriors and the manufacturing tools to make more have been broken up.

In any case, CV90 has been developed with each new customer (six so far), so it's now a very good piece of kit which will be developed still further for FRES. It would take a lot of development (ie: cost and risk) for Warrior to take the steps CV90 has already made - and will make for FRES - all in one go.

8. The FRES program has officially been finished

9. No doubting that CV90 is an excellent platform, proven Haaglunds engineering, 1000+ already delivered, but it doesn't really represent the step change in capability that the FRES concept initially promised. It is, if you like, a more up to date Warrior.

WCSP will be hampered by the CT40 cannon - a lovely idea but utterly flawed in both ammunition availability and cost. Better than the RARDEN it will replace, but other solutions exist (ATK Bushmaster) that could do the job much more effectively.

10. looks good ,just one question .....

Are the 512 and 513 getting updated because those turrets are crap if you are over 5ft 2 and wear body armour!

11. I've seen new things for Warrior on and off for the last ten years which have never come in. The only thing letting the vehicle down now is the turret.

12. No, they're going to fit flat hatches as a cost cutting measure and replace the chain gun with a GMG to take up a little more room!!! :lol:

13. Oh yes! Designed for the 95th per centile human being out to 2030 - from 6' 5" blokes wearing body armour down to 5' 3 " naked women. What the latter will be up to in an IFV I have no idea...

Daily Mail

14. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Interesting statement - define 'officially' and 'finished' please..;)

S_R