FRES, please delay it two years, weve not got the budget...

Discussion in 'Tanks, planes & ships' started by Mr Happy, Feb 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

to quote Janes:

2. As we've seen before it'll never happen because of the Eurofighter, carriers, F35's , Nimrods etc. need paying for.
    There's not enough airlift capacity to move FRES anyway and the money would be better spent on more helicopters and body armour.
  3. To quote Minister for Defence Equipment and Support, Lord Drayson at the Defence Manufacturers Association reception 16 May 2007

Also - from defence news 7 June 2007:

4. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

Playing devils advocate for a mo'

Do we really need FRES now?
  5. If it's still the air-portable, Omin-wagon meant to make the politicos look good when they sign us up for the next UN WhereverFOR; then probably not.
  6. msr

msr LE

Well, a week being a long time in politics, how long is 7-8 months in defence procurement?

7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

a blink of an eye?
  8. nah, we need scorpion 8) (FV 101 if memory serves?)
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

by 'now' do you mean this week or is you crystal ball working fine looking forwards 30 years?

I recognise that you are probably correct period but following thje out of area ops, we are far more likely to need FRES in the future than we are, say, MBT.

Something for everywhere at anytime.

As I've said elsewhere, I woudl personally prefer more UOR for spceific stuff (though ordered earlier, rather than after deployment) rather than have it sitting around for 10 years ready to go. A sort of pre-UOR if you like.
  10. The problem with UOR is in the title...Urgent Operational Requirement....Fine if you want new body armour, or new T-shirts, or new LMG's off the shelf. New MBT? that's at least 10 years or second hand stock cos noon is going to build 300 MBT's on the off chance someone needs a spare tank fleet on Monday morning at 9am for Tuesday lunchtime. New A/C ohhhhhh...20 years or third hand fleets 5 years out of date....
  11. And UOR's are quite handy when a someone forgot that a large fleet of NEW vehicles MAY need to have some form of self protection when in a convoy in, lets say for example, Iraq or Afghanistan!!! 8O
    "Gun Mounts?? Pah! Just drive faster, now back to Pims and Scones in the Mess dear chap" :roll:
  12. FRES looks set to go the way of all the other projects with 'Future' in the title. No wonder Drayson PVR'd.
  13. meridian

meridian LE Good Egg (charities)

I thought Drayson got bulleted because he wanted to push FRES through with of all things a French design, not the other way around.
  14. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Meridian - Drayson jumped as he was sick of not being allowed to make decisions in a resonable time, based on hard data (the selection of the Fr veh was done on Trial and cost - not politics) and continually being sniped at by the committee type decision making of some of our beloved Lords and Masters. Can't blame him.

3-1 On we won't see anything until the Big And Expensive proposed date of - at a push -2014.

I suppose that means that we will have to have a new vehicle downselect too as of course, there will be so much more that they can offer then.

Any want to bet against? :roll: