Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Algeria have a Boxer, part of bid to replace BTR 80
boxer.png

How is it even dinky little countries like Finland and Austria can manage to buy new IFVs and other toys while we can't even make our mind up what shirts to wear and how in camp ?

It's the spares that will cost them dearly.
The Aussies will have most if not all production domestically and they are pretty clued up when it comes to being largely self sufficient. They know its coming down to a knives edge between them and BAE so I can see them going all in with as much domestic work as possible. The Aussies still have the likes of running small arms production and other elements that could be re-rolled or tied into producing sub systems. I'd say that's why both outfits are trying to get some form of production or input from as many states so its will have the most attractive offer to the Aus Govt. User preference is apparently Boxer but It will most probably go to who ever can pump the most jobs and money onto the most states.
When is a decision expected on which contender will win the CRV contract ?
In the next couple months I think.

I didn't realise the UK offer also involved the rights to sell or export domestically produced Boxers and parts. According to the video that's the case.

Perhaps because they only buy half a dozen and we'll buy 900?

Austria picked up 112 ASCOD Ulan, 71 Pandur I and 34 Pandur EVO. Lithuania picked up 91 Boxers and 21 PzH2000, Finland has 160 Leo 2A6s with another 40 on order, picked up 102 CV9030FIN and is upgrading it's 110 BMP2MD whilst buying 45 PSH 17. I could go on but we're being pissed on by tiny States with less budget than us yet clearly far more sense than us

As for buying 900 of whatever it is the Army finally makes it's frankly feeble mind up after pissing money away for the better part for 30 year, No f**king chance, we'll be lucky to get half a dozen in service before I start drawing a pension.

Austria picked up 112 ASCOD Ulan, 71 Pandur I and 34 Pandur EVO. Lithuania picked up 91 Boxers and 21 PzH2000, Finland has 160 Leo 2A6s with another 40 on order, picked up 102 CV9030FIN and is upgrading it's 110 BMP2MD whilst buying 45 PSH 17. I could go on but we're being pissed on by tiny States with less budget than us yet clearly far more sense than us

As for buying 900 of whatever it is the Army finally makes it's frankly feeble mind up after pissing money away for the better part for 30 year, No f**king chance, we'll be lucky to get half a dozen in service before I start drawing a pension.
The difference is, those states are happy to buy what's available off the shelf at the sticker price, instead of starting a ten year project to develop something to meet unique national requirements, which eats all the funds, meaning that the number required reduces, increasing the unit cost leading to lucrative directorships for retiring civil servants and ministers, followed by cancellation of the entire project. Followed by restarting the entire farce two years later.

The difference is, those states are happy to buy what's available off the shelf at the sticker price, instead of starting a ten year project to develop something to meet unique national requirements, which eats all the funds, meaning that the number required reduces, increasing the unit cost leading to lucrative directorships for retiring civil servants and ministers, followed by cancellation of the entire project. Followed by restarting the entire farce two years later.
You means 30 year project