FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

ugly

LE
I go back to projected use: the commonly sold threat is an incursion by Russia into the Baltic States and/ or Poland.
Since both were run by the Soviets/Russians for decades, one might reasonably assume that the entire region was surveyed and mapped at some point?
Ergo, unlike BAOR, where advancing Soviet forces would have little idea of what lay where, we can reasonably assume that a Russian adversary in the Baltics/ Poland has every forestry block, every industrial complex, every housing estate, etc etc, pre plotted into its routes, and it's artillery plotting.
Now, whether NATO drops a para brigade ( notwithstanding Russian air defence assets), or the allies push armour forward, the enemy can guess, with a high percentage of accuracy, every likely hiding place, MSR, bridge point and so on.
I would suggest that alone leads to a requirement to rethink any deployment there?
OK that would have been on the nail up until the Eu money started to change the layout of those countries! Warsaw Pact TRG areas were laid out to replicate invasion routes through West Germany! Even river banks were regraded to replicate the Weser etc!
If the Russians wanted to reinstate the IGB at the channel ports (obviously Russian officers map reading is standard) I expect they will have routes planned, mapped, surveyed and obstacles replicated. Oddly enough I doubt they have planned to that degree, remember they can get up to date geographic updates almost daily through the web.
We no doubt use similar sources and would be able if we wanted to roll along Ivan's routes!
We have in my opinion allowed artillery to fall in its importance to us as an army! In 1918 and throughout world war two we had fantastic artillery. Where are we now?

Yes. Doesn’t alter my appraisal.
You ever try to track a target using neutral steer?
Ever try it on soft ground?
I'm not suggesting you use neutral steer to track the target FFS.

Simply to avoid the lengthy turret go around.

The combo Beemers and Zundapps, were used in places where m/cs had no right to go. You see them in photos, bouncing over the Russian steps three up over laden with kit!
Thing is unlike their Panzers, their as reliable as fcuk!

And chased right back to Berlin by Ivan in his Land Lease Jeep.
Even the Russians admired the Jeeps simple as feck and as reliable as an anvil technology.

There are few Zundapps because the Germans lost the war and BMW had a bigger name and more surviving industrial capability across a wider product base.

I have no beef with the German 'over-engineering' argument, just not when it comes to bikes. Your 'stupid complex two wheel shaft drive system with a diff lock' was remarkably effective and saw the BMW and Zundapp combos used incredibly effectively throughout the war.

If you'd ever served then you'd understand that 'getting out and pushing' is a solution that can be applied just as well to a MC combo as a Jeep or any other vehicle.

Over engineering was a part of why the Germans lose at war but nowhere near the reason why - to say so is laughable.

1560931967768.jpeg

If they weren’t so heavy with all that extra drive train, they’d have been easier to push.

Last edited:
OK that would have been on the nail up until the Eu money started to change the layout of those countries! Warsaw Pact TRG areas were laid out to replicate invasion routes through West Germany! Even river banks were regraded to replicate the Weser etc!
If the Russians wanted to reinstate the IGB at the channel ports (obviously Russian officers map reading is standard) I expect they will have routes planned, mapped, surveyed and obstacles replicated. Oddly enough I doubt they have planned to that degree, remember they can get up to date geographic updates almost daily through the web.
We no doubt use similar sources and would be able if we wanted to roll along Ivan's routes!
We have in my opinion allowed artillery to fall in its importance to us as an army! In 1918 and throughout world war two we had fantastic artillery. Where are we now?

You mean the Baltic’s currently infested with lots of ‘hikers’ wandering around taking lots of ‘nature Pictures’?
Some might presume the Russians are updating their old maps from when they owned them with current NATO hides avd ore prepped positions added for GLONASS targeting point clarity.

And 4 times the cost and as much manufacturing effort to carry less with much inferior off-road abilities.
Funny thing is, after the war, everyone copied the Jeep, not the Zundapp.
I've already said this - I'm not comparing a MC Combo to a Jeep - you are.. Nobody's arguing that the Jeep wasn't excellent . If the Germans had won the war, we'd all have been using Kubelwagens, not Jeeps.

this just popped up on YouTube thought it might be of interest in regards to ajax being noisy
Problems with a combination of durability and repairability? No simple way to replace busted links (as there aren't any) and can a worn out band-track be remanufactured, or is it landfill? I have only used this sort of track on BVs though, so it might have all changed this century...

I've already said this - I'm not comparing a MC Combo to a Jeep - you are.. Nobody's arguing that the Jeep wasn't excellent . If the Germans had won the war, we'd all have been using Kubelwagens, not Jeeps.

No they wouldn’t , the Huns would have copied the Jeep.
Kubelwagens weren't all that off-road. Better than the civilian cars that were the German norm, but vastly inferior to the myriad proper 4x4’s of all shapes and sizes the British and Americans shipped.

The Zundapp mc combo was ‘german’, an over complex solution to a simple problem.
Even when the Jeep was sitting in front of them, the stupid buggers didn’t have a ‘so that’s how you do it’ moment. Instead, stupidities like the Kettenkrafttrad were designed to get around the Mc combos bogging down short comings. Now that really was a stupid vehicle.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Army Reserve 3
TheIronDuke The NAAFI Bar 84
schweik The NAAFI Bar 45

Latest Threads