Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Says who? No tankie that I've spoken to thinks of it as a tank destroyer. They like the 40mm, but as they normally play with 120mm shells and 65 plus tons of armour , they have a pretty good idea of its limitations.

CGS, in his Army 2020 refine announcement IIRC.

Good lord. 40mm CTA APFSDS may well have pierced a representative T55 glacis, but it's not a round suitable for mass destruction of the same. If that's not clear to the CGS, that explains a lot.

If it has pierced a T55 glacis (200mm RHA minimum) then it must have found a way to break the laws of physics!

Perhaps it’s a quantum round, that can exist in the state of complete penetration, whilst simultaneously being completely stopped? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it has pierced a T55 glacis (200mm RHA minimum) then it must have found a way to break the laws of physics!

Perhaps it’s a quantum round, that can exist in the state of complete penetration, whilst simultaneously being completely stopped? [emoji848]

200mm ? I've got 150mm. I suspect they chose the more convenient thickness.

200mm ? I've got 150mm. I suspect they chose the more convenient thickness.

b64dc11c1f50f9c5c65837089ea957ee.jpg

100mm @ 60 degrees from vertical = 200mm.

And that’s before they started adding appliqué to the later models...

@Gassing_Badgers - rather proves that the idea of 40mm being a tank killer round was daft.
Still, as we are fast and light we can go places they can't.....ah...bugger....

Have a look at this:
Any suggestion that Ajax is somehow akin to Warrior by virtue of a common main armament is not, therefore, valid from the perspective of force structures. Nor is the epithet of Ajax as a poor man’s ‘mini-tank’ well informed; Ajax will
provide effective direct fire support for MIV’s dismounted personnel in Strike’s concept of employment.

from here The British Army’s ‘Strike’ concept

Have a look at this:
Any suggestion that Ajax is somehow akin to Warrior by virtue of a common main armament is not, therefore, valid from the perspective of force structures. Nor is the epithet of Ajax as a poor man’s ‘mini-tank’ well informed; Ajax will
provide effective direct fire support for MIV’s dismounted personnel in Strike’s concept of employment.

from here The British Army’s ‘Strike’ concept

Nicely :) - ta muchly

Its reassuring that it seems the only person who thinks anyone thinks its intended to go toe to toe with MBT of any generation is Meerkatz

Which suggests - hes misunderstood something or saner heads have already prevailed and kicked such thoughts into touch

In addition to CGS’ christening of AJAX as a ‘Medium Tank’ - and the nascence of Medium Armoured Regiments (distinct from Armd Cav, but equipped similarly) - I’ve heard it mentioned in Blenheim plenty of times, both implicitly and explicitly.

No-one is claiming it to be a genuine tank, but some of the dodgy claims made by its manufacturer have convinced many that 40mm is more than sufficient to see off 1st Gen tanks in the 3rd world.

In addition to CGS’ christening of AJAX as a ‘Medium Tank’ - and the nascence of Medium Armoured Regiments (distinct from Armd Cav, but equipped similarly) - I’ve heard it mentioned in Blenheim plenty of times, both implicitly and explicitly.

No-one is claiming it to be a genuine tank, but some of the dodgy claims made by its manufacturer have convinced many that 40mm is more than sufficient to see off 1st Gen tanks in the 3rd world.

In which case its reassuring that those in charge of strike aren't following suit

It might be just me, but then Strike seems to be mostly predicated on the enemy participating in the creation of the planner’s dream engagement.

Then there are comments, scattered throughout the document that give lie to the idea that the planners are aware of the limitations.
For example:
As regards firepower, the 40 mm Cased Telescoped Ammunition (CTA) cannon on Ajax, if it works as advertised, will substantially threaten everything on the battlefield short of MBTs, or any vehicles with levels of protection above a Soviet-era T-55
Note that the statement is “above T-55”. It then goes on to:
It would be able to do so at a greatly reduced logistic weight of ‘stored kills’ than the current 120 mm main gun on the CR2.
Are they assuming that a penetrating hit from a 40mm is as damaging as one from a 120mm?