Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Does the high gun elevation give an indirect fire option ?

No need its tall enough that at max elevation If it waves the barrel around fast enough it can swat passing satellites

As an aside am I the only person who thinks - just maybe AFVs are getting a tad over sized and perhaps smaller cheaper and yes possibly even less protected (although increased protection on the not being seen front) allowing greater numbers to be fielded may be the way forward

I’d say it’s more like a tank destroyer with marginal lethality and a massive silhouette, or an infantry assault gun with insufficient protection to provide intimate support.

Both things we’re bound to miss if we ditch real tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So not even a Stug then ?
By the time we've established training, tweaking, for our supremely unique requirements, log chain etc I'll wager it won't be too far off the cost of a new turret for chally..

No need its tall enough that at max elevation If it waves the barrel around fast enough it can swat passing satellites

As an aside am I the only person who thinks - just maybe AFVs are getting a tad over sized and perhaps smaller cheaper and yes possibly even less protected (although increased protection on the not being seen front) allowing greater numbers to be fielded may be the way forward

even the French are increasing their traditional very light armour

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Is it more useful to a Strike Brigade than a CR2/3 still in the rail yard ?

Does the high gun elevation give an indirect fire option ?

Yeah, the elevation will allow it to provide indirect fire

dragon825

War Hero
They are planning a 120mm with the same turret, just haven't knocked it up yet.
they have had 120mm HP and LP for a while, this the latest

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
they have had 120mm HP and LP for a while, this the latest

Yes but not attached to Boxer, which is what I meant.

gafkiwi

War Hero
In what sense? 40mm CTA will deal with anything up to an MBT. A 105mm won’t necessarily deal with an MBT. Javelin or Brimstone will.

Wrong solution.
Seems more to be an answer looking for a question. As you mention Javelin and Brimstone provide the anti armor capability with the 40 for everything else. This would fit the "Kinda this, kinda that, but not quite" role. A direct/indirect Fire support system like the 120mm Nemo or Amos mortars systems on Boxer would have a lot more utility across the board than the 105mm gun.
Edit: It (the turret system) could likely find a role in a military that doesn't have tracked armor and lacks Direct fire capability.

Last edited:
Seems more to be an answer looking for a question. As you mention Javelin and Brimstone provide the anti armor capability with the 40 for everything else. This would fit the "Kinda this, kinda that, but not quite" role. A direct/indirect Fire support system like the 120mm Nemo or Amos mortars systems on Boxer would have a lot more utility across the board than the 105mm gun.
Then the capbadge nonsense kicks in....is it Cav/Arty/AInf ?

gafkiwi

War Hero
Then the capbadge nonsense kicks in....is it Cav/Arty/AInf ?
Start a new one or give it to the PTI's, they need a job or a purpose in life. In a simplified world I'd give it to Arty in the MIV formations only if the Inf Bn 81mm's are also mobile i.e. boxer mounted. If not I have them both run it just at different levels but as per normal centralized control. In Cav/ARmd I'd also have it with Arty.

Edit: It (the turret system) could likely find a role in a military that doesn't have tracked armor and lacks Direct fire capability.

except what are those Javelins and Brimstones mounted on?

gafkiwi

War Hero
except what are those Javelins and Brimstones mounted on?
Currently I guess the Jav are carried on what ever the units have be it Rovers and Coyote's with Brimstone from above. With the intro of MIV they would have to decide how they want to go anti armor in MIV formations, be it 1. dedicated vehicle mounted and launched with CLU's carried for a dismounted option, 2. spreading them across the MIV's similar to the US plan with Stryker integrated into the RWS or 3. the cheap option just jam the teams in a MIV, JLTV or on other mobility platforms.
Whether they go down the road with a ground mounted MBDA Brimstone or an updated Exactor type system would have to be identified.

Currently I guess the Jav are carried on what ever the units have be it Rovers and Coyote's with Brimstone from above. With the intro of MIV they would have to decide how they want to go anti armor in MIV formations, be it 1. dedicated vehicle mounted and launched with CLU's carried for a dismounted option, 2. spreading them across the MIV's similar to the US plan with Stryker integrated into the RWS or 3. the cheap option just jam the teams in a MIV, JLTV or on other mobility platforms.
Whether they go down the road with a ground mounted MBDA Brimstone or an updated Exactor type system would have to be identified.
It would appear to be the dismounted option

So the most mobile solution then ?
Arguably

from what I’ve read the MIV is to be equipped with Kongsberg Protector RWS which can take 12.7mm/7.62mm/40mm GMG

they also do a version that carries 2 weapons (12.7mm/40mm GMG and a 7.62mm).

they also do versions that Javelin can be fired from.

think I’d prefer the RWS with Javelin

Arguably

from what I’ve read the MIV is to be equipped with Kongsberg Protector RWS which can take 12.7mm/7.62mm/40mm GMG

they also do a version that carries 2 weapons (12.7mm/40mm GMG and a 7.62mm).

they also do versions that Javelin can be fired from.

think I’d prefer the RWS with Javelin

I’m pretty sure that proportion of MIV RWS will be delivered with the Javelin installation kit as standard - it’s really quite easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads