Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

There is a whiff of expecting the enemy to cooperate in the creation of your dream engagement in Strike.

Though rather than bring a dedicated VSHORAD asset, it might be better to see if you can use existing systems to cover it. Anything with a turret is going to have computerised fire control, so as long as you can detect, acquire and target the UAVs you’d stand a reasonable chance of getting close enough with an airburst round to drop a hostile UAV.
or you can use the space and connectivity of the proposed strike vehicles to operate your own scout and fighter UAVs.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Mist admit i prefer the Hawkei (thales) and the Duro based Eagle 4/ 5?* both have a more looks right is right feel to them with similar capabilities whilst being a tad smaller (and probably more frugal as well) than the tractor unit based JLTV
The Hawkei does look like a pretty capable wagon but apparently it has 'different' capabilities to the JLTV which is how THALES and the Australian Govt justified the large cost difference between the two

The Hawkei does look like a pretty capable wagon but apparently it has 'different' capabilities to the JLTV which is how THALES and the Australian Govt justified the large cost difference between the two

I suspect a large bit of that differrent capability relates to Domestic production.

gafkiwi

War Hero
I suspect a large bit of that differrent capability relates to Domestic production.
Definitely true and fits within their domestic production requirements. But it has a chance of becoming even more expensive as it happened with the Bushmaster, with Govt forcing the ADF to buy extra wagons they don't need to support local jobs and keep factories open.
Personally costs aside I too would prefer the Hawkei over the JLTV as it does look like a better fit in a PMV L role and would be pretty flexible in a lot of roles. We have just ordered new model Bushmasters as a PMV wagon and the Hawkei would be a good fit with it in the lighter role.

Last edited:
He is back on glue;

It came on exercise with 5AB quite a lit at the end of the 90s.
Driven into Chinooks, underslung etc etc

Think any acquisition fell into track ownership grey areas and then was heaved out along with ATMP and the bathwater once Telic/Herrick kicked off
Found some piccies. They got lined up with the .50 cals

Better off with 40mm CTAS. Weapon + ammo already in log chain.
Start putting 105/120mm on boxer and you start lending ammunition to the we-dont-need-tanks lot.

Better off with 40mm CTAS. Weapon + ammo already in log chain.
Start putting 105/120mm on boxer and you start lending ammunition to the we-dont-need-tanks lot.
It is a tank, whatever people might like to call it.
Just not a very good one.
Large silhouette, light armour, small gun for its weight.

I agree. There are those who have the idea that Javelin and the 105mm light gun are all that's required together with something like Centauro. Imho, I think that while such a combination is great stuff in rapid intervention in places like Africa, it's not wonderful in Baltic places.

Boxer mit Cockerill Turret in the flesh

If the UK is looking to a Fire support vehicle - then it needs to go 120mm - Lest it be the only 105mm operator in the medium to long term* with all the attendant costs and supportability issues.

**The Us are looking to replace Stryker MGS with a 120mm armed vehicle

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
If the UK is looking to a Fire support vehicle - then it needs to go 120mm - Lest it be the only 105mm operator in the medium to long term* with all the attendant costs and supportability issues.

**The Us are looking to replace Stryker MGS with a 120mm armed vehicle

They are planning a 120mm with the same turret, just haven't knocked it up yet.

They are planning a 120mm with the same turret, just haven't knocked it up yet.

My 1st thought on seeing the image was it doesnt look ungainly and off balance

My 2nd thought was - thats because boxers feckin huge and this thing could provide cover for a Maus

I’d say it’s more like a tank destroyer with marginal lethality and a massive silhouette, or an infantry assault gun with insufficient protection to provide intimate support.

Both things we’re bound to miss if we ditch real tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads