FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

One of the very first hybrid conversions was an investigation funded by DARPA, back in the mid-90s. They replaced the six-litre engine (and three-speed automatic gearbox) in a HMMWV with a pile of batteries, a motor in each wheel, and the 1.9L turbo-diesel unit out of the VW Golf. I don't think they lost that much in the way of payload.

The resulting vehicle could do 0-60 in half the time, get up steeper slopes than the original, and drive twice as far on the same amount of fuel. The latter being important in Afghanistan, because AIUI every gallon of fuel at a FOB cost forty gallons of fuel to deliver it...

So; curse those green gits. How dare they insist on wagons that are faster, quieter, and more efficient!

I'm not surprised the US were all over it.

USMC had some really good gains without having to go down major platform procurement.*

As the US does not generally lean back from problems or innovation, it would be interesting to see where this project in the 90s foundered in between Proof of Concept and deliverables.

The last 20-25 years must have thrown up some better efficiencies on scalability of production, environmental endurance (hot/cold), survivability/robustness.

My point is mostly affected by the MoD approach to innovation and procurement, after all the UK has just procured a platform it started looking at in the 90s and as 8x8s go, this isn't massively innovative. (Its just fcuking massive!).
Colour me unsurprised if this green initiative doesn't survive initial enthusiasm and sinks into Abbey Wood procurement hell

*at the same time, UK initiated the Power FoB programme and was still searching for a prime to underwrite the thinking when it all went a bit glidepath for the door. Did the dissolution of DERA in to Qinetiq (cr@p Swiss Tony's) and DSTL (anorak central) fatally flaw the MoD's ability to think outside the box?

USMC had some really good gains without having to go down major platform procurement.*

As the US does not generally lean back from problems or innovation, it would be interesting to see where this project in the 90s foundered in between Proof of Concept and deliverables.

The last 20-25 years must have thrown up some better efficiencies on scalability of production, environmental endurance (hot/cold), survivability/robustness.

My point is mostly affected by the MoD approach to innovation and procurement, after all the UK has just procured a platform it started looking at in the 90s and as 8x8s go, this isn't massively innovative. (Its just fcuking massive!).
Colour me unsurprised if this green initiative doesn't survive initial enthusiasm and sinks into Abbey Wood procurement hell

*at the same time, UK initiated the Power FoB programme and was still searching for a prime to underwrite the thinking when it all went a bit glidepath for the door. Did the dissolution of DERA in to Qinetiq (cr@p Swiss Tony's) and DSTL (anorak central) fatally flaw the MoD's ability to think outside the box?
And Generic Vehicle Architecture using open systems. That's been on the cards for how long in all its guises? Still a pipe dream (if you don't include Foxhound)

Your being kind!

FLAV (CVRT and FV430 replacement) started in 1988

Boxer? Work started around 1999, UK pulled out 2003, first production delivery 2009. Stryker in service 2002, VBCI in service in service 2008. The U.K. is looking to buy an excellent vehicle but 10 years late

Your being kind!

FLAV (CVRT and FV430 replacement) started in 1988

Boxer? Work started around 1999, UK pulled out 2003, first production delivery 2009. Stryker in service 2002, VBCI in service in service 2008. The U.K. is looking to buy an excellent vehicle but 10 years late
UK's involment started in 1996 with the MRAV project that the French & Germans had started working on via the VBM/GKT projects started by them about 4 years earlier. This was via the joint OJAC agreement to manage joint defence projects.

As a bye the German company Daimler Benz was working on a project that was to be known as Radkampfwagen 90. Which fitted a Leopard 1 turret on a 8×8 heavy body at about 32tons.

We could have had a Strike fleet in service by the mid 2000s.......

Instead the UK government allowed a selection of over paid morons to piss money away on ideas that were patently stupid.

The Amry should be f**king thankful they've not had a truly intelligent Defence Minister trawling thro the history of defence projects

Abbey Wood won't be leading on Sustainability, I think StratCom will.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's a few threads I could have stuck this in, but this "How not to..." from Calum regarding German Engineering Issues in WW2 will seem eerily familiar to those of us watching UK Vehicle procurement over the last 30yrs

And what has it achieved.

The problem with the use of mines and so on was when they weren't used in accordance with international treaty - as we found in the Falklands.

We adhered to the rules. Many of those still using them don't and never did.

In my mind, probably the final word on this belongs to a US officer who read an interview with back at the time when a proposed ban was still headline news: "Yes, I have a duty to adhere to international law. But I also have a duty to protect the men under me."
I was sceptical myself at first.

But, there are a lot fewer AP mines in circulation now and the civilian casualty rate has gone down.

We are clearing them as well and providing safety training, but closing down the supply chain does seem to have helped.

It may, however, have generated a perverse incentive to encourage more non state actors to build IED to replace mines they could have previously bought off the shelf. There’s not much data on that though.

Edited to sort spelling.

Last edited:
You’ve been told before, FFS.

Diana was 10 years in her grave when the CMC was signed.
It doesn't matter if she was in her grave. Don't you know that the Royal Family are vampires? Prince Charles has even admitted to being related to Dracula (he's descended from Dracula's brother, if I recall correctly). One bite, and she's one of "them". Her reach extends beyond the grave!

Someone should have warned poor Harry though of the danger of marrying a succubus.

While the current M2 Bradley has three crew members – commander, gunner, and driver – a draft Request For Proposals released today says that its future replacement, the OMFV, must be able to fight with two.

Well, in theory there is nothing to stop Bradley fighting with a crew of two at the moment - as long as you don’t need to clear any stoppages and all long messages are sent as text!

I once asked if the lessons of two-man crews learned during VERDI were being incorporated in plans for future platforms - I think everyone just looked blankly at me, as there is pretty much no-one left who remembers it...

Oh well, lots of opportunities for bright young things to earn their (recycled) spurs I suppose!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 blokes ?! Hope the section they carry mucks in.
"I'm off for the O group, shouldnt be more than an hour as weve got a NTM by then.
We need to be pol'd , ammo and ration replen, 24hr maintenance check done all round , don't forget the new batteries etc etc."

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I once asked if the lessons of two-man crews learned during VERDI were being incorporated in plans for future platforms - I think everyone just looked blankly at me, as there is pretty much no-one left who remembers it...
I at least read about it, and @Cynical worked on it... there's a very few of us around.

But, knowledge management, y'know, we're world class at it... now, there's this brand-new idea for a round rolling thingy, it'll be transformational, we could leverage some serious synergies with this...

I at least read about it, and @Cynical worked on it... there's a very few of us around.

But, knowledge management, y'know, we're world class at it... now, there's this brand-new idea for a round rolling thingy, it'll be transformational, we could leverage some serious synergies with this...
That stuff worries me. The doing more with less tells me that there's this thing called overreach that's going to raise an ugly head at the worst possible moment . Normally when there's a lot of more but very little less.

Latest Threads