FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Wasn't Swingfire operated by the RA?
I believe the RHA operated the FV438s in divisional ATk btys, before they were disbanded and handed over to RAC Armd Regts as GW Troops for a short time.

AFAIK, CVR(T) Striker was only ever operated by the RAC in Recce Regt GW Troops. In the end, they were the only Swingfire operators.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice 40mm ammunitio.

TamH70

MIA
Remind everyone of von Manstein's Sturmartillerie and bask in the sheer Wehraboo Energy. Call the vehicle "stug" at every opportunity.
StuGs were a very useful capability. One which we don't have.

Funny that.

@Himmler74 Screw being an infantryman now.
Theres way too much smart shite flying around.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Bugger off. I'd want a JCB and lots of wriggly tin. Oh, and RSJs please.
It's one of the big lessons coming out the Ukraine, the importance of being able to dig defensive reinforced positions at the drop of a hat.

gafkiwi

War Hero
@Himmler74 Screw being an infantryman now.
Theres way too much smart shite flying around.
Mind you infantry (especially dismounted) are pretty far down the priority list when it comes to unmasking and committing some of these assets. Just bypass and isolate and then chuck them a rugby ball, a few kegs and a WiFi connection and they will keep themselves content till things are over.

It's one of the big lessons coming out the Ukraine, the importance of being able to dig defensive reinforced positions at the drop of a hat.
But Saint Diana, PBUH, got them nasty cluster munitions banninated… except by the people we are likely to be scuffing with.

Cluster munitions ban 2007
Diana death 1997

Whilst im in agreement with you on her interference and the mine ban - im not sure shes culpable here

Cluster munitions ban 2007
Diana death 1997

Whilst im in agreement with you on her interference and the mine ban - im not sure shes culpable here
It's a legacy thing, kicked the ball rolling?

StuGs were a very useful capability. One which we don't have.

Funny that.
The Germans gave the Finns 59 StuGs; IIRC, only 30 of them were ever used in action against the Russians in 1944. The other 29 were unused and remained in the Finnish Army into the 1950s.

Personally, I would give it to the RA and train the field regiments to operate both Archer and the 120mm mortar. There isn't going to be enough Archer to go around, so you might as well reinforce the field regiments with heavy mortars.
Agreed - " RA ? Here for the Boxer 120mm Nemo job ?
Pick yours from that line up over there and welcome to STRIKE."
They get to run around with all the other Boxers.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
It's a legacy thing, kicked the ball rolling?

And what has it achieved.

The problem with the use of mines and so on was when they weren't used in accordance with international treaty - as we found in the Falklands.

We adhered to the rules. Many of those still using them don't and never did.

In my mind, probably the final word on this belongs to a US officer who read an interview with back at the time when a proposed ban was still headline news: "Yes, I have a duty to adhere to international law. But I also have a duty to protect the men under me."

And what has it achieved.

The problem with the use of mines and so on was when they weren't used in accordance with international treaty - as we found in the Falklands.

We adhered to the rules. Many of those still using them don't and never did.

In my mind, probably the final word on this belongs to a US officer who read an interview with back at the time when a proposed ban was still headline news: "Yes, I have a duty to adhere to international law. But I also have a duty to protect the men under me."
Agreed, look at how many non state actors are liberal in their use of such methods.

Mind you it looks like we're about to do the same with vehicle fleets - go all green/sustainable and battery driven, whilst our adversaries maintain their diesel powered "bad" vehicle super fleets in excessive numbers.

Time to get out Gibbons again and ruminate on why civilisations decline

Last edited:
Mind you it looks like we're about to do the same with vehicle fleets - go all green/sustainable and battery driven, whilst our adversaries maintain their diesel powered "bad" vehicle super fleets in excessive numbers.
One of the very first hybrid conversions was an investigation funded by DARPA, back in the mid-90s. They replaced the six-litre engine (and three-speed automatic gearbox) in a HMMWV with a pile of batteries, a motor in each wheel, and the 1.9L turbo-diesel unit out of the VW Golf. I don't think they lost that much in the way of payload.

The resulting vehicle could do 0-60 in half the time, get up steeper slopes than the original, and drive twice as far on the same amount of fuel. The latter being important in Afghanistan, because AIUI every gallon of fuel at a FOB cost forty gallons of fuel to deliver it...

So; curse those green gits. How dare they insist on wagons that are faster, quieter, and more efficient!

Latest Threads