FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Reading that I get the feeling the current Strike concept is about 90% bollocks, based just on the equipment repeatedly mentioned by the author that is not being sourced or provided?.
Really good article. A bit long but easy to understand. What do other Arrsers think about the article’s criticisms of STRIKE as a concept?
Start at link above

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Online chat is the Germans are joking the Aussies in fitting the new Lance turret and whispers that talks have started here for a Mortar Varient for ourselves. Nothing substantial mind. Will keep an eye out for something more concrete.

NemoIII

War Hero
whispers that talks have started here for a Mortar Varient for ourselves. Nothing substantial mind.
Additional buy?

Or is it going to end up like the SV Fleet where have hardly any GS 8X8 left, after they've been converted.

ETA - A mortar mounted on a vehicle, can see there being a bun fight over who owns this capability.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Additional buy?

Or is it going to end up like the SV Fleet where have hardly any GS 8X8 left, after they've been converted.
Haven't a clue at this stage tbh, like I said whispers.

Additional buy?

ETA - A mortar mounted on a vehicle, can see there being a bun fight over who owns this capability.
RAF Regiment naturally.

gafkiwi

War Hero
Online chat is the Germans are joking the Aussies in fitting the new Lance turret and whispers that talks have started here for a Mortar Varient for ourselves. Nothing substantial mind. Will keep an eye out for something more concrete.
I wonder if the Aussies will re-assess at the end of the Land 400 Phase 3 (Tracked IFV project). If the Lynx wins the Aussies may look to standardize on a common turret for both the Boxer and Lynx. The Phase 3 also includes 17 Maneuver Support Vehicles so I'm wondering if these could be a heavier direct or indirect fire weapon system like a 120mm mortar.

Guaranteed massive capbadge politics, the RA will not allow the infantry turreted mortars. This means we will have to settle for a hatch mortar like 432.

Once again tradition getting in the way of genuine capability.
Even more fun if you get one with a direct fire capability as the RAC will likely want in as well.

how so ? the turret mortar systems are also just as likely to be used for direct fire role as well so might as well be RAC
Precendent; when we last have heavy mortars (4.2" IIRC), they were operated by RA Heavy Mortar Batteries.
Look at the offensive Larkhill initiated over 81mm charges 4 & 5

So they will bicker over who gets the platform, meanwhile the opportunity passes or someone poisons the well so no one gets it
Personally, I would give it to the RA and train the field regiments to operate both Archer and the 120mm mortar. There isn't going to be enough Archer to go around, so you might as well reinforce the field regiments with heavy mortars.

Latest Threads