FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

I wondered if it was a silhouette taken from a photo taken of an oblique shot?

Turret position between 3 & 4 wheel and 1/2 -3/4 wheel gap, and front profile suggest Stryker or LAV, discounts centauro freccia and VBCI.
Yet turret is too flat for a manned bushmaster turret and barrel too short/no brake for MGS

Last edited:
The Russians will have a log chain to suit keeping their rockets fed.
I dunno. The more l look at strike, the more it feels lightweight and thin. Mho, is that it won't be in contact with similar Russian units, but ones which have a lot more heavy firepower and persistence. If that's the case, then something to mallet the closest buggers while you gtfo of dodge is required. 120mm mortar in a turret would help no end.
I forget who it was, but there's an Arrser who put forward an alternative to our light gun as the 122mm Sov job if we kept towed arty. It's certainly got more punch at the same range, and theres no shortage of ammo worldwide. Getting it qualified and log chains set up is of course another matter.
Then we could bring back Abbot with 30 years of improvements in powerplant, transmission, FCS and armour....
If they do it will be a whopping great soft target.

except now in peer Conflict - your looking at (I assume, I’m not a drop short) being in a hide/mobile on call, Setting up as quickly as possible, expending the necessary as quickly as possible And getting out of there extremely post haste.

the days of a DROPS Flatbed on your gun line With ammo has to be history. You are going to have to only request & receive what you can physically carry on the vehicle
I don't remember the DROPS ever sitting on the gun line - that flatracks yes - that's the whole point of a demountable system. Pre-recce'd gun lines, pre-dumped stocks. It's why every DROPS had/has 7 x flatracks allocated to it.

The whole point of that system was to allow that kind of effective dumping programme and ammo could be left if not required (or the AS90/MLRS was already a blazing hulk).

'Tanks' make a nice photo opportunity. Logistics contracts don't. Another thing that has been very wrong with defence procurement in recent years.
My contract is worth £13bn - I don't care about the photo opportunity! :wink:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't remember the DROPS ever sitting on the gun line - that flatracks yes - that's the whole point of a demountable system. Pre-recce'd gun lines, pre-dumped stocks. It's why every DROPS had/has 7 x flatracks allocated to it.

The whole point of that system was to allow that kind of effective dumping programme and ammo could be left if not required (or the AS90/MLRS was already a blazing hulk).
And would work well with what’s being proposed ‘pallet at grid reference X’.

And would work well with what’s being proposed ‘pallet at grid reference X’.
I don't know what our plans are in CABRIT but I'd imagine that there are some pre-recce'd ARAs and that the loggies would pre-dump into them as required.

If they do it will be a whopping great soft target.
Very true, however they'll won't stand idly by while we hit it. Without trying to make them Ubermensch, they seem to have set great store by artillery, keeping it supplied and mobile. I wish we did the same, ie lots of tubes and rockets with an effoff log ability to follow them around, and able to sustain losses, however we are skint.

Very true, however they'll won't stand idly by while we hit it. Without trying to make them Ubermensch, they seem to have set great store by artillery, keeping it supplied and mobile. I wish we did the same, ie lots of tubes and rockets with an effoff log ability to follow them around, and able to sustain losses, however we are skint.
No, but the amount of log infrastructure to keep the beast fed means a generally vulnerable and unwieldy tail. Ivan isn't famous for sophisticated logistics and I'd be interested to know how much he has invested in it. If it is anything like the Cold War, every grid square will have a target of some description in it and trucks have to travel on roads and cross bridges etc the vast majority of the time.

ETA: I see no demountable systems in the Russian log vehicle inventory, just ordinary rigids, so good luck with the mass dumping programme comrade!

No, but the amount of log infrastructure to keep the beast fed means a generally vulnerable and unwieldy tail. Ivan isn't famous for sophisticated logistics and I'd be interested to know how much he has invested in it. If it is anything like the Cold War, every grid square will have a target of some description in it and trucks have to travel on roads and cross bridges etc the vast majority of the time.

ETA: I see no demountable systems in the Russian log vehicle inventory, just ordinary rigids, so good luck with the mass dumping programme comrade!
Id say your right, it's plenty of bodies,four tonners and relatively crude - but there's lots of both.
While we might have mapped all routes and possible places of interest on their side, they will have done the same in reverse, is where could the attack come from, what if we loose that bridge etc.
War won't kick off without build up on either side, and every move watched by both. Mho is that I feel we are hung up on being to race after a mobile and lightly armed enemy whose heavy elements have been somehow dealt with or are non existent having been neautralised in some way. In Baltic areas, that may not be the case.
Now, I'm a neophyte in this, and could be well off the map, however an well happy to stand corrected.

Latest Threads