FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

It does rather go against our concept of precision warfare.

But - given the weapons are significantly less capable but proportionally even cheaper - it does offer its own advantages.
As the saying went quantity has a quality all of its own.

does MLRS still have lay waste to grid square capability?

with precision weapons you need to have an exact location and in many cases you need the en to stay there.

a Russian MRB has 18 x 152mm guns and 18 x BM21 MLRS in its orbat.

does MLRS still have lay waste to grid square capability?

not ours, Steel Rain is naughty, Saint Diana didn’t like it.

(but we sold all the steel rain stuff off to a Israel who used it to smite Hizbollah and Hamas)

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
They are less accurate than a blunderbus being fired by someone with Parkinson’s. You can count yourself lucky to hit the grid square you’ve aimed at. Nor can you walk fire onto a target. Or use smoke. They don’t come with an (admittedly expensive) top-attack option either.
There's at least one 122mm rocket that carries sensor-fuzed munitions, and there was at least a proposal for fitting laser guidance to the basic 122mm rounds.

But, for our context, the G4 issues of keeping something like BM-21 fed are... challenging in general, particularly for a construct like STRIKE.

Majorpain

War Hero
There's at least one 122mm rocket that carries sensor-fuzed munitions, and there was at least a proposal for fitting laser guidance to the basic 122mm rounds.

But, for our context, the G4 issues of keeping something like BM-21 fed are... challenging in general, particularly for a construct like STRIKE.
There is more to it than just getting the rounds to the vehicle, you also have to do the boring task of individually getting them in the tubes. I've been looking for ages for a video of just how much of a chore that is (even during the day) and now the motherland has provided!

M270 is soooo much better.

The Russians will have a log chain to suit keeping their rockets fed.
I dunno. The more l look at strike, the more it feels lightweight and thin. Mho, is that it won't be in contact with similar Russian units, but ones which have a lot more heavy firepower and persistence. If that's the case, then something to mallet the closest buggers while you gtfo of dodge is required. 120mm mortar in a turret would help no end.
I forget who it was, but there's an Arrser who put forward an alternative to our light gun as the 122mm Sov job if we kept towed arty. It's certainly got more punch at the same range, and theres no shortage of ammo worldwide. Getting it qualified and log chains set up is of course another matter.
Then we could bring back Abbot with 30 years of improvements in powerplant, transmission, FCS and armour....

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I forget who it was, but there's an Arrser who put forward an alternative to our light gun as the 122mm Sov job if we kept towed arty. It's certainly got more punch at the same range, and theres no shortage of ammo worldwide. Getting it qualified and log chains set up is of course another matter.
Then we could bring back Abbot with 30 years of improvements in powerplant, transmission, FCS and armour....
Think that might have been me - I've always been partial to the D30. It's a good way to get a discussion started of "what do you really want most from your artillery?"

The trouble with Mr Grad is his top ability to deliver the area Ultra Violence.
40 rockets away in just over 3 minutes from stop, up and away in another 2.
its not the most accurate system in the world, but as the perfidious Russians still use cluster warheads, it doesn’t have to be.
6 x 105 light guns having a duel with 6 Grads will not end well - the other chap is still doing grid squares.

Think that might have been me - I've always been partial to the D30. It's a good way to get a discussion started of "what do you really want most from your artillery?"
True. The moment you lob arty around, you know the enemy is not going to stick you on "ignore". You might as well make it worth while. 155mm sounds great, has a wonderful effect but if part of the criteria of getting resups is how many pallet loads, sized X, of ammo can fit on your trucks, then 122mm may well be a good compromise between rounds available vs range and size of bangs. A turreted version on wheels or tracks would of course be quicker to get in and out of serials.
105mm light gun is of course still useful, and mounted on a wheeled vehicle might be just the ticket in Mali type conflicts as a powerful,highly mobile weapon with good DF/IDF capability.

105 falls between the same stools as the 4.5” naval gun.

not much smaller than a 5”, but only half the bang.

the D30 is an excellent compromise, and what’s not to like of a gun that needs just a big hammer and an adjustable wrench to maintain?

True. The moment you lob arty around, you know the enemy is not going to stick you on "ignore". You might as well make it worth while. 155mm sounds great, has a wonderful effect but if part of the criteria of getting resups is how many pallet loads, sized X, of ammo can fit on your trucks, then 122mm may well be a good compromise between rounds available vs range and size of bangs. A turreted version on wheels or tracks would of course be quicker to get in and out of serials.
105mm light gun is of course still useful, and mounted on a wheeled vehicle might be just the ticket in Mali type conflicts as a powerful,highly mobile weapon with good DF/IDF capability.
except now in peer Conflict - your looking at (I assume, I’m not a drop short) being in a hide/mobile on call, Setting up as quickly as possible, expending the necessary as quickly as possible And getting out of there extremely post haste.

the days of a DROPS Flatbed on your gun line With ammo has to be history. You are going to have to only request & receive what you can physically carry on the vehicle

except now in peer Conflict - your looking at (I assume, I’m not a drop short) being in a hide/mobile on call, Setting up as quickly as possible, expending the necessary as quickly as possible And getting out of there extremely post haste.

the days of a DROPS Flatbed on your gun line With ammo has to be history. You are going to have to only request & receive what you can physically carry on the vehicle

and if you Only fight with what you brung, your ability to deliver short, sharp, fast extreme violence has to rise to meet that dynamic.

Yes, however it has to get to you somehow before the shooting starts and that wil be via DROPS etc to wherever it is you get POL, ammo, water, food etc into empty magazines before you get sent on your way. So how much goes from the dump to you depends on however many pallets your trucks can carry and how much you can stow on board when bombing up. Once you start moving, we may well need mobile, lightly armoured ammo/pol carriers a tactical bound behind to ensure persistence. Armoured vehicle ammo stowage is only so much, and fire discipline becomes an interesting concept once the rounds start whistling overhead. Keeping the consumables at a safe level for STRIKE while its cutting about will take some thought.

Amphibious Task Group (now rebranded) did seem rather optimistic on our ability to sail 3x large missile magnets (ALBN/BULW and two Bays) past Kaliningrad and up to the Estonian coast.

Thanks.
Doubly so that they would have two Bays available in the first place!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

FRES arrser help needed please
Is this a Stryker MGS or a LAV25 variant?

From this infographic of where money goes.
I'd thought it might be Nicholas Drummond doing a bit of subliminal BOXER/Cockeril info ops - but no....

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
FRES arrser help needed please
Is this a Stryker MGS or a LAV25 variant?

From this infographic of where money goes.
I'd thought it might be Nicholas Drummond doing a bit of subliminal BOXER/Cockeril info ops - but no....

No fume extractor but the turret's the wrong shape for the ICVD version. I'd say MGS.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Latest Threads