FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

I was perhaps underplaying it but much of its role is as was originally described for Saxon: an armoured taxi.
Did someone put a Scimitar/FOX turret on a Saxon . . . or, am I mis-remembering ?1

Saxon: an armoured taxi.
. . . . to replace Bedford MK* for use by infantry units with a Rear Area Security role, from distant memory. So - some distance, one rather hoped, from the actual battlefield.

*Which, IIRC correctly, had 4WD, whereas Saxon did not, which limited the latter to on-road use. If Saxon did have 4WD, it's x-country performance did not match in practice that of the humble 4-tonner.

**Edited to appease @RCT(V) . You can come and delete that "dumb" rating any time you like now :thumleft:

Last edited:

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
. . . . to replace Bedford RL* for use by infantry units with a Rear Area Security role, from distant memory. So - some distance, one rather hoped, from the actual battlefield.

*Which, IIRC correctly, had 4WD, whereas Saxon did not, which limited the latter to on-road use. If Saxon did have 4WD, it's x-country performance did not match in practice that of the humble 4-tonner.
TKs and MKs. The RL was rare by the mid-80s. The TK was 4x2, the MK 4x4. Every trip I ever made to the ranges was in a TK.

Saxon was an on-road Bedford proof up to 7.62mm AP. Not just rear-area security but a run-about - a to-and-from for behind the FEBA.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
Berlin only. For Inf Recce pls, I believe was the intent. In practice, they weren't suitable, so roles were invented that had a 432 Platoon in 1 x rifle coy.
I was just making the point that the turret, if it was fitted to anything of around that era (actually a little earlier), it wasn't the Saxon.

The idea of a Saxon with a Scimitar/Fox turret on it gives me the cold shivers even at this remove.

Londo

LE
I was just making the point that the turret, if it was fitted to anything of around that era (actually a little earlier), it wasn't the Saxon.

The idea of a Saxon with a Scimitar/Fox turret on it gives me the cold shivers even at this remove.
I think the Saxon refitted with just the Peak MG turret became very top heavy .

. . . . to replace Bedford RL* for use by infantry units with a Rear Area Security role, from distant memory. So - some distance, one rather hoped, from the actual battlefield.

"4WD, whereas Saxon did not" . . . . I am SO CERTAIN, that SAXON is/was 4x4 that I am NOT even going to quote/include, a google link :).

It was a "cheap and cheerful" idea, using the Bedford mechanicals, that I am sure the limited costs of re-engineering to eliminate the FWD (front wheel drive), would not even have been suggested/entertained.

While I'm loitering with intent to Waitrose, it occurs to me to wonder about the origins of that particular Chimera.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a purpose-built-for-Berlin thing. I suspect it was an experiment that was part of the seemingly never-ending back-and-forth about whether infantry needed to replace 432 with another APC, or an IFV, when it finally reached the end of its service life.

Which is still some time in the future, I'll bet

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
While I'm loitering with intent to Waitrose, it occurs to me to wonder about the origins of that particular Chimera.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't a purpose-built-for-Berlin thing. I suspect it was an experiment that was part of the seemingly never-ending back-and-forth about whether infantry needed to replace 432 with another APC, or an IFV, when it finally reached the end of its service life.

Which is still some time in the future, I'll bet
I've read that it was to play with the idea of an IFV.

In terms of an end of service life for the 432, I hear that there're concerns over its Y3K compatibility...

I read a positive review of Saxon, in a "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick and beggars can't be choosers" way, about it in Ukraine.

I think the Saxon looked a mean bit of kit
It was just misused by those that could not understand it was just an armoured truck to get reinforcement troops to the front and not an IFV .
See my earlier post on the effectiveness of the infantry officer's culturally ingrained comprehension suppressor.

Last edited:
I read a positive review of Saxon, in a "better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick and beggars can't be choosers" way, about it in Ukraine.
Indeed. Talk about using it for what it was designed for and finding it works just like that. Beggars description.

Nic Drummond has a wide on about this.
I know he was guards and as they are normal a little bit "status quo/continuity/traditon focused" as his recent tweet shows:

I can only therefore conclude his passion for innovation and Boxer is all a little bit too "May to December"

Latest Threads