FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

In my mind if it looks good then it probably is. Now i am not saying that is infallible but its half the battle with Joe Squaddie!

Has any testing been done yet on the speed of changing modules in the field?
I'm thinking in regard to rushing a battlegroup from UK to the Baltics, where a poor choice in modules ( without taking along alternatives/ spare ones) is going to leave the strike unit rather stuck?
Thunderbird 2 had several pods/ modules, but turning up with the wrong one wasn't an option.
As noted by another, theoretically modules could be changed in the field. I've no idea what has been decided what policy should be in that regards, but I suspect that policy will evolve along with experience.

If the damage is due to a mine of some sort, then it would in most cases be the vehicle which will be the most damaged, with the module possibly receiving secondary damage. If it is damage from a missile or RPG, then it could be either the vehicle or the module which is damaged.

I suppose though that if you have a damaged vehicle and an undamaged module, and you put a higher priority on having that module type in operation, you could swap the module onto another working vehicle whose module you have less urgent need of.

It's also possible that if certain types of module see more use than others, you might swap the modules around now and again to keep them in service while the vehicle gets a major overhaul or possibly just to equalise the running hours and wear and tear on the vehicle fleet as a whole.

All of this flexibility comes at a cost however, both in terms of money and in terms of how much of the vehicle volume and weight budget is consumed by the features needed for modularity.

If the modularity turns out to be of overall benefit, then I suspect that as I said previously it will most likely be the additional flexibility of being able to more easily go to third parties for new types of modules later in life and know that vehicle integration should be more or less "drop in" once initial testing is complete.
The advantage is I suppose is say 5 of a units APCs are u/s for an Ex but their ambulances are serviceable..... remove the ambulance modules and replace with APC modules

gafkiwi

War Hero
These additional/ alternative Boxer modules: what's the plan for deploying them? If, for example, you want to deploy APCs but include options for variants, isn't it simpler to buy more Boxer chassis rather than lug around spare modules on trucks and also need a crane to swap them?
Battle groups etc will likely deploy as the always have with their standard vehicle allocation and reserves. Holding/replacing modules (if at all) would more likely still be a base/depot replacement carried out back with the National Support Element as the needs of the deployment develop and then kit rotated and reconstituted. Its like some modern service rifles these days with removeable/QD barrels, just because they can be removed, doesn't mean it would be a common user level occurrence, its not like a Platoon will be swapping modules on a whim. Maybe once and a while modules would get swapped for wear, tear and losses until the allocation could be brought back up to scale.

Back to foraging for fuel, water and rations potentially (what if the host nation is a bit busy in defending itself?) ?

If part of Strike is dispersion how is that going to work ?

with only 2 Bns of Inf per Bde who will defend and protect the Logs chain?

NemoIII

War Hero

Back to foraging for fuel, water and rations potentially (what if the host nation is a bit busy in defending itself?) ?

If part of Strike is dispersion how is that going to work ?

with only 2 Bns of Inf per Bde who will defend and protect the Logs chain?
Just another to add, how can you have a Recce regiment, and a Medium Armour regiment who operate the same vehicle with the same non existent Anti-armour capability?

Mufulira

Old-Salt
IIRC recce reg'ts were supposedly "horsed" with relatively small nimble vehicles with 1st class radio systems who could and would report to respective HQ's and NOT to try and slug it out with massive expensively armoured and up-gunned, over-crewed IFV's. After all, it costs lots of dosh to crew an APC, IFV, or whatever the battle taxi is termed and your presence on the potential field of battle has a massive heat signature and noise level??

TamH70

MIA
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're buying both AJAX and Boxer?

Are they going to be serving in completely different squadrons/battalions or will there be a mix and match?

IIRC recce reg'ts were supposedly "horsed" with relatively small nimble vehicles with 1st class radio systems who could and would report to respective HQ's and NOT to try and slug it out with massive expensively armoured and up-gunned, over-crewed IFV's. After all, it costs lots of dosh to crew an APC, IFV, or whatever the battle taxi is termed and your presence on the potential field of battle has a massive heat signature and noise level??
The problem comes with sensor fit.
Something like Fennek is small and light , but it's limited to TI and possibly mini UAVs.
No ESM. Then there's the question of survivability. Having something that will survive a chance encounter with an rpg is better than something that won't.
It's all about what sort of info you want to glean and to what level of detail.

NemoIII

War Hero
So, correct me if I'm wrong, but we're buying both AJAX and Boxer?

Are they going to be serving in completely different squadrons/battalions or will there be a mix and match?
AJAX is replacing CVRT.
BOXER is replacing MASTIFF.

Some units will operate both types such as 21 Engineer Regiment. The actual gun vehicles will be used by Recce and Medium Armour Regiments.

432/Bulldog will continue on, nearly older than my grandad.

Majorpain

War Hero
432/Bulldog will continue on, nearly older than my grandad.
They really are at the end of life, not least because Health and safety got involved and said the "Lightweight" genny couldnt be strapped to the roof, so it has to go in the back. Needless to say, if the thing rolls someone will get a genny to the face so no crew in the back when travelling!

I was pleased to see D Cap mentioning money going to 21st century HQ's yesterday, hopefully that's tactical and not just strategic level. If they can work out what they need systems wise, they can build a new vehicle to fit it, that way the horse is before the cart. See Panther....