FRES 2: The Revenge aka MIV

Superior situational awareness is not biting off what you can't chew.

Strewth, it looks like a bloody Hover Tank from Thunderbirds/Capt Scarlet......

Tell you what, dimensions wise, there ain't a lot in it! One of Shermans draw backs... TO TALL!!
Yup, so AJAX joins MIV/BOXER in the "don't want to fight it in Libya" category
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/index.php?posts/9321225

Some size reminders - the 2nd one is the Maus ( only scale piccy was one part crewed by a Weimar Republic era cabaret.... )

And here is is a link to download the report

Strike: From Concept to Force

Ed. I've only brief skimmed it but the reports content will be familiar to to regular contributors on this thread.
Interesting analysis

I would add:
- the Strike Bdes must be capable of fighting without Ajax due to their lack of strategic and operational mobility (relying on HETs and being slower than MIV). They probably means some MIVs with 40mm CTA.

- they will need mobile well protected CLPs to resupply the dispersed Bde. This possibly could be a role for light Cav. The mobility and dispersion of MIV could make the Bde very CSS depend/resource heavy (HETs, POL, ammo, REME, recovery etc etc).

- Strike must maintain the capability to deploy tactically in the field within max 7 days (ie be ready to engage) in Eastern Europe (obviously that requirement could change over time)

- the Strike Bdes need another MIV-mounted Inf Bn each

- Strike Bdes need 155mm SP, 120mm SP, UAVs, LRATGWs, SAMs

- I would not generally deploy in a conventional scenario in less than Coy Gp strength. While maintaining dispersion over a fairly wide area.

- Strike will require a suitable all informed battlefield management & CIS system so comdrs can track their assets. This will be difficult in a peer environment.

- the suggested Orbat would see only 2 sections of dismounted infantrymen per Pln and only 2 plns per Coy group. But they would have significant support wpns. This is insufficient to secure areas (and vehicles) properly.

- all in all, Ajax has no place in the Strike Bdes and I’m not sure how they should be deployed.

Russia considers arming armoured fleet with 57 mm cannons | Jane's 360
There is also a low pressure version which they have ordered for the Epoch unmanned BMP3 turret; that is if they don't run out of cash.

Touted as an AA gun too I note on the blurb.

The other interesting thing about Ivan is he has the good sense to hang 4 properly good ATGM's off everything that moves to give his units bite. Other than against tanks, they give them lots of high precision long range attack on point targets

Last edited:
The interesting thing about Ivan is he has the good sense to hang 4 properly good ATGM's off everything that moves to give his units bite. Other than against tanks, they give them lots of high precision long range attack on point targets
? thought there were Bradleys with a 4 TOW launcher blistered on?

? thought there were Bradleys with a 4 TOW launcher blistered on?
Two. From the very beginning, there was a two-round launcher on the side of the turret. The only version of Warrior to do so was the export version - ignore for a moment the MILAN pintle from GW1.

Officially, again, our omission was for doctrinal reasons.

AJAX should have something missile-y and potent bolted to the side of the turret. I don't understand the stunning refusal to accept this. It's ludicrous.

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Two. From the very beginning, there was a two-round launcher on the side of the turret. The only version of Warrior to do so was the export version - ignore for a moment the MILAN pintle from GW1.

Officially, again, our omission was for doctrinal reasons.

AJAX should have something missile-y and potent bolted to the side of the turret. I don't understand the stunning refusal to accept this. It's ludicrous.
It's on the bloody export version of the turret, (as shown on the Patria) which is infuriating

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Army Reserve 3
TheIronDuke The NAAFI Bar 84
schweik The NAAFI Bar 45