Frenchies going on strike....again.

I see the Frenchies are up to their usual when faced with change. On the one hand I can see where they are coming from - all that free money for the banks, which doesn't appear to have helped much. But there was some bint on the World Service this morning saying this would cost the government a lot of money. WTF, its not government money but taxpayers money - so they are aiming to squander their own dosh, crazy.

A one-day strike by public and private sector workers is under way in France, with disruption to transport, hospital and education services expected.

Hundreds of thousands of workers are demanding more government action to protect jobs and wages.

Three-quarters of people and all the main trade unions are backing what the press are calling "Black Thursday", correspondents say.

Air France flights will be cancelled and train services are being disrupted.
The protesters are demonstrating against the worsening economic climate in France and at what they believe to be the government's poor handling of the crisis.

Early reports said that regional trains and those in and out of Paris were being affected. Only 35% of trains were running in several regions, operator SNCF said.
BBC story.

The way the French population organise to strike at the drop of a hat -seriously infuriating. "Striking French" is as much a cliche as "cheese-eating surrender monkey". They routinely bring the country to a standstill and generally make the government nervous of doing anything that might bring the mob out....The government must spend half their time on eggshells.

There might be something in that.

Command_doh

LE
Book Reviewer
Inzile said:
The way the French population organise to strike at the drop of a hat -seriously infuriating. "Striking French" is as much a cliche as "cheese-eating surrender monkey". They routinely bring the country to a standstill and generally make the government nervous of doing anything that might bring the mob out....The government must spend half their time on eggshells.

Martial Law. Rubber bullets. Tear Gas. Big fcuking wooden sticks with metal ends (Indian Riot police use them).

Command_doh said:
Inzile said:

Martial Law. Rubber bullets. Tear Gas. Big fcuking wooden sticks with metal ends (Indian Riot police use them).
Well The CRS which they've always had are no 'pussies'(as I found out the hard way in 1969)...make our 'Plod' look like limp wristed hermers'...seems no to have 'blunted'(no pun intended) the Garlic eating, wine quaffing, cheese eating populations appetite from letting their Government know what its all really about... :roll:

BlueDanubeWalt said:
Command_doh said:
Inzile said:

Well The CRS which they've always had are no 'pussies'(as I found out the hard way in 1969)...make our 'Plod' look like limp wristed hermers'...seems no to have 'blunted'(no pun intended) the Garlic eating, wine quaffing, cheese eating populations appetite from letting their Government know what its all really about... :roll:
Impossible. The French couldn't make anyone look like hermers, in fact they have the opposite effect.

Looks as though the strike has been a bit of a damp squib from the unions point of view.

Flashman07 said:
Impossible. The French couldn't make anyone look like hermers, in fact they have the opposite effect.
Sorry but if for some reason I had to face either British riot police or the French CRS then I'd pick our lot any day of the week, much less chance of a serious kicking.