French want to re-join the Mil wing of NATO.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Sep 17, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

It seems the cheese eating surrender monkeys want back in, again.

From the Independant

For those that don't know they tried to get beck in in 1996/7 but with a bunch of conditions - typical French really - but the Yanks told them where to get off.

Personally I say screw em, we've managed fine without them for over 40 years and it's not as if they will bring anything other than trouble is it.
  2. Sarkozy's being a busy boy.
  3. The french - reversing a previous decision - not like them at all! :)

Think James May from TG gave the best description of them 'a nation of peasants and communists'.
  4. It looks to me like now they actually might have to do some scrapping they want to have the clout of the big boys to back them up.Its kind of like the spotty gob-sh1te chav phoning 15 of his rodent like mates cause hes bitten off more than he can chew.LMF.
  5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Oh there has to be something in it for them to want to re-join. I see nothing in it for us so why change the status quo?
  6. Hit the nail on the head there I reckon O_S. It's not really in their interests to just decide to rejoin unless there is something in it for themselves. Maybe they have finally realised that their current attitude of fence sitting just doesn't cut the mustard any more. If they do this, does this mean we shall be seeing l'armee de francais in AFG anytime soon? (Bunch of garlic munching surrender monkeys! :x )
  7. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

They just don't get it do they? They (and the krauts) stopped anyone joining the EEC/EU unless they'd sewn it up first (hence them vetoing our application twice), and then you had to sign up to the full stitch up before they let you in.

Now they are trying to get back into NATO, but they want to change how it operates to fit in with their idea of an EU defense force.

I'd like to hear from all concerned in NATO "Thanks, but it works OK as it is, take it or leave it."
  8. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

If you read the second article about their first attempt you can see that they just want their cake and to eat it. They'll get no further this time I would think.
  9. Who wants the French anyway? We are finding it tough going in Afghanistan & Iraq as it is without getting the surrender monkeys onboard!
    If they seriously want to join NATO the terms and conditions are there if they don't like it don't sign up ,simple! We can’t compromise and let them in just so they can try to transform NATO into some kind of EU defence force!!
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I would imagine that if they are allowed to join the party, they'll start throwing their weight around under the auspices of the EU Defence Force and demand changes from the US to 'better suit' EU needs, namely their own. France alone joining the armed wing of NATO will not give them enough weight, but being bossy boots in the EU they think will.

I think that what has the frogs running scared is all those ex-eastern bloc countries signing up to NATO and France has no say whatsoever in how the force is formed, integrated or trains. They will definately be the small fry on the block, by their own choice, but now the armed wing of NATO is massively expanding, they want to control the new EU members via their say in NATO (under an EU banner).

fcuk 'em!
  11. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

When the frogs helped to stop any NATO invovlement in the Iraq invasion because decisions were made at the political council the yankees started getting some decision making by military council that the frogs don't sit on. Hence they're out of the loop. Looks like they also want back in again.
  12. Whilst I'll forever rail against the traditional enemy, a quick scoot across t'interweb throws up some nice numbers:

134,000 personnel

9 'regiments' of Legionaires (incl. many Brits, apparently)
    20 'regiments' of Marines, including Paras (parachute marines?)
    etc etc
    150 Medium transport choppers
    80 attack choppers
    tasty Airforce, adequate Navy.

Plenty of 'ooligans and stuff to spread the load.

However, I too am suspicious of any intentions.
    Would they be happy to operate under the direct leadership of any other nations' command?
    Would they deploy to frontline 'bayonet' actions?
    Would their stinky cheese filled ration-packs destoy our morale faster than the enemies?

13. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

My bold.

Their intentions are to make nice noise in order to get into the military command structure of NATO, and then try and dictate events to suit their own ends, or even veto NATO actions. They also wish to use their power in the EU to get pro-EU changes made to NATO.

They have never been happy to operate under the command of other nations (we sank the French fleet at harbour in WW2 because the Vichy French gobment refused to release their navy from port to operate under UK control), and if they find themselves required to operate in defence of a NATO country that isn't France, or doesn't serve their purpose, they'll veto or not send any bayonet forces (as allowed under NATO rules).

The are in NATO in the political sense, and have a veto in terms of NATO involvement up to a point, which they did indeed try and use in GW, but they were circumnavigated by the US/UK due to it being made a military decision over which they had no control.

If I'm not mistaken, the French have interests that are not often aligned with those of the US/UK, and they would seek to use their membership to try and force NATO to sanction unilateral French actions, as well as stopping UK/US doing other things.
  14. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

You notice how little effort ther's been since they left in 66 to get them to rejoin? French and NATO interests have only be conjoined where it involved British, American and German troops defending France from the Russian hoardes. Other than that their political and military aims are in direct emnity to what they perceive as Anglo-Saxon hegemony. This sudden on rush to rejoin should be viewed with profound distaste.