French UNIFIL commanders say will shoot at IAF overflights

Commanders of the French contingent of the United Nations force in Lebanon have warned that they might have to open fire if Israel Air Force warplanes continue their overflights in Lebanon, Defense Minister Amir Peretz told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee on Monday.
The French are willing to fight but not to disarm Hezbollah

Good for them , looks like they're going for a robust stance again. If Israel's overflights are in defiance of the UN mandate, then paint them up.

Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when they start firing on one of the most advanced and experianced Air Forces in the world.
Not like the Frogs to grow a pair - is it an election year in France?

Werewolf said:
Talk is cheap. I'll believe it when they start firing on one of the most advanced and experianced Air Forces in the world.
Not like the Frogs to grow a pair - is it an election year in France?
I suspect it's defence contract related!

diplomat

MIA
Book Reviewer
Be lots of French Mirages tumbling out of the sky soon then!

This just the French trying to sell more A380 to the Arabs , Threatening Israel is always a good PR move in the ME. If they do enough of it they may get Iran to buy a few, or maybe this is who they are trying to appease

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/17/wfrance17.xml

The French government yesterday held crisis talks with community leaders in an effort to halt mounting violence in suburbs around Paris, amid news that gangs of youths, mainly of North African descent, were intensifying attacks on police

Taz_786 said:
Frogs should send the CDG to the Med first, make sure the Israelis know they're within range of Storm Shadow.
Then pray the CDG does not break down.

All hot air and garlic, its election year in 2007 and they want to flog arms etc.

NEO_CON said:
Commanders of the French contingent of the United Nations force in Lebanon have warned that they might have to open fire if Israel Air Force warplanes continue their overflights in Lebanon, Defense Minister Amir Peretz told the Knesset Foreign Affairs and Defense Committee on Monday.
The French are willing to fight but not to disarm Hezbollah
More of you mendacious GOP drone wibble neo-com....

The French offered to the UNSC members an option to disarm Hezbollah as part of the mission. However, they insisted that if they were to be expected to do this, they have a Resolution allowing them to use force against ANYONE that refused to disarm, refused to withdraw and refused to abide by the terms of the UNSCR.

The US, doing Israel's bidding, refused to allow such a resolution to be passed. Why, because if UNIFIL got such a mandate, they could, and would have to fight Israeli troops in Lebanon. So, if you want to know who's to blame for Hezbollah not being disarmed by UNIFIL, then you need to look closer to home, say, Washington DC!

The UNSCR that was passed, (effectively) only allows UNIFIL to use force in self-defence. Now, considering how good the IDF map reading is when it comes to UNIFIL posts, I think it rather wise move to politely warn off IDF aircraft, and if they don't heed the warning, take suitable precautions. Don't you?

The CESMs will still be bitter about Mossad lifting the plans for the Mirage that became the Kfir. Did Mossad not spirit away some subs that had been detained under the same embargo? That and as Neo_Con said, looking good to the 'Arab World' for commercial (or security) purposes. Buy our airliner and don't bomb us-bomb them (point point).

France can be robust with third world militias (not including Hezbollah) and peaceniks in New Zealand. Who mentioned violations of sovereignty? Take a pop at the IAF and get hurt.

When talking about UNIFIL, don't say "the French" but "the UN". It's not "the French" who wrote the rules but the UN.

And don't forget that after losing 9 killed to a IC Gvt SU-25 strike in Nov.2004 in Ivory Coast, the French army has learnt the hard way not to deploy without AD assets even if all the air forces in the area are reputed to be "friendly".

Not to mention it would be a good publicity for the Mistral MANPADS which already has very little competition

BTW, good post merkator.

Is the IAF over-rated? Is the A de l'A under-rated? I think French Air Force Pilots are good enough to take on the challenge.

I doubt it will come to it though , and I wouldn't guess what would happen if Israel 'accidentally' drops ordanance on a French AD radar site.