French & UK Paras to form"partnership"?

As a former French Foreign Legionnaire and British Army soldier, I read with interest in the Dec 13 issue of REP Info, (Regimental Magazine available online at: REPINFO DECEMBRE 2013) that under Franco-British defence accords the French 11th Parachute Brigade will be partnered with 16 Air Assault Bde, that my old Legion Regiment, 2 REP will be partnered with 2 PARA and that the first joint training will take place soon this year.

This is the first I'd heard of this and I was wondering if anybody in the involved British units could shed some more light on it. Are the other units in both brigades to be paired up similarly and what joint training, exchanges and such-like are planned?

I'll be interested to see what the impressions are on both sides.

From a personal point of view, I was dead chuffed to see someone I still knew (after all these years) in the Regimental Magazine (p.27) - Adjudant-Chef (WO1 Equiv) Meyrignac who was leaving after 38 years service (I had known him as a Legionnaire and Caporal - in the early eighties) - a good man!

Last edited:
And who will carry the white flag?

In my generation, there was a very good liaison channel with the French airborne training system. Besides, the sheer volume of personnel of 16 Para Bde of the '60's and '70's who undertook free-fall training at ETAP under French tuition and not on the UK HALO courses which subsequently operated self contained para sorties out of Pau.

Guards Independent and the SAS profited greatly from the ETAP system when UK had not established a free fall course. I know that this is a different scenario, however, we've done good business with the French in the past. I see it as a good thing.

Major Alec H##ey was the Para Regiment LO whom I worked with for a year or so.

In my generation, there was a very good liaison channel with the French airborne training system. Besides, the sheer volume of personnel of 16 Para Bde of the '60's and '70's who undertook free-fall training at ETAP under French tuition and not on the UK HALO courses which subsequently operated self contained para sorties out of Pau.

Guards Independent and the SAS profited greatly from the ETAP system when UK had not established a free fall course. I know that this is a different scenario, however, we've done good business with the French in the past. I see it as a good thing.

Major Alec H##ey was the Para Regiment LO whom I worked with for a year or so.

As a follow-on aside to the above:

Just after leaving the Legion in late '86 I went to Doctor Feelgood gig at Dingwalls Dancehall at Camden Lock in North London. I decided I needed a job in the interim and asked the chaps on the door if there were any vacancies. They told me to have a word with the "Guvnor" or head doorman. This big, old, cockney geezer reminded of Arthur Mullard and asked me "You dun this sort of work before, son?" I replied that no I hadn't. "So watcha been doin' wiv yerself then?" I replied that I'd just done five years in the Legion Paras. He just looked at me and said "Gotta black suit, son? I said that I had (My old sixth form uniform still fitted five years on - I'd been a big teenager), so he said "Come back termorrow night, suited an' booted, an' we'll give you a go." The following night he ended up asking me loads of well-informed questions, essentially checking me out for a walt. It transpired that he had served in Airborne Forces in 23 PFA and had done all sorts of interesting stuff including the French free-fall course at Pau where he had met and been mates with some 2 REP blokes. His name was Mick Hare and he was a great bloke. Sadly I heard that he had got his last set of wings quite a while back. But maybe some of the old an' bold on here will have known him.

Last edited:
As a follow-on aside to the above:

Just after leaving the Legion in late '86 I went to Doctor Feelgood gig at Dingwalls Dancehall at Camden Lock in North London. I decided I needed a job in the interim and asked the chaps on the door if there were any vacancies. They told me to have a word with the "Guvnor" or head doorman. This big, old, cockney geezer reminded of Arthur Mullard and asked me "You dun this sort of work before, son?" I replied that no I hadn't. "So watcha been doin' wiv yerself then?" I replied that I'd just done five years in the Legion Paras. He just looked at me and said "Gotta black suit, son? I said that I had (My old sixth form uniform still fitted five years on - I'd been a big teenager), so he said "Come back termorrow night, suited an' booted, an' we'll give you a go." The following night he ended up asking me loads of well-informed questions, essentially checking me out for a walt. It transpired that he had served in Airborne Forces in 23 PFA and had done all sorts of interesting stuff including the French free-fall course at Pau where he had met and been mates with some 2 REP blokes. His name was Mick Hare and he was a great bloke. Sadly I heard that he had got his last set of wings quite a while back. But maybe some of the old an' bold on here will have known him.
I knew Mick well, jumped with him in Cyprus in the 70's. He was 3 Para's medical Sgt.

I did the Pau HALO cse in 72, we stuck with the 2 REP blokes rather than the reg Frog Para, I still remember my Brevet No 289
a bit tarnished now, a bit like myself.

Let me guess.....

In a manner somewhat similar to the Navy having to pally up to the Frogs so they can have some face-time with an aircraft carrier, our Paras, by cuddling up to the Frogs, will get a jump out of an aeroplane more frequently than they would if they hang around waiting for the Crabs to offer them a ride in one of their 'planes?

[h=1]British and French paratroops train in line with CJEF aspirations[/h]British and French paratroops train in line with CJEF aspirations - IHS Jane's 360
Victor Barreira, Istanbul - IHS Jane's Defence Weekly
14 January 2014

A company-sized contingent of about 150 personnel from the British Army's 2nd Battalion, The Parachute Regiment (2 PARA), belonging to 16 Air Assault Brigade, is currently undertaking a training exercise with the French Army's 2nd Foreign Parachute Regiment of the 11th Parachute Brigade, in Corsica, France, from 12 to 26 January.

Designated 'Blue Legionnaire', the exercise was established in line with the expected implementation, by 2016, of a multinational, non-permanent, deployable quick-reaction Combined Joint Expeditionary Force (CJEF), which follows the signing, by the United Kingdom and France, of the Lancaster House Treaty for co-operation on defence and security, in November 2010.

Client log in to read more