French to learn from their defeats

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by royalmile, Apr 24, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Whilst we like to slag off the French on this website, and none more than I (despite or maybe because Madame mnairb is French), French troops generally fought bravely (often suicidally so) and were the betters of the Prussians, Austrians and Russians in numerous battles in the Napoleonic Wars. Napoleon himself said that there was no such thing as a bad soldier, only a bad commander and the poor poilu certainly had more than his fair share of bad commanders in the Franco-Prussian war and the First and Second World Wars. The French casualties in the First World War were higher than ours and, when they finally mutinied in 1917, did not refuse to fight, just to be sent into poorly planned attacks which were causing hundreds of thousands of unnecessary casualties - they were quite happy to defend.

2. Yes, they were quite happy to defend whilst we did all the attacking.

3. ...or a dead commander.
    Forward The 95th and thank you Mr Baker! :D

4. Presumably so they can surrender quicker. :D

5. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Boy, have they got a lot of studying ahead of them!

6. Remember the rules of French Warfare:
    1/ France's armies are only victorious when not led by a Frenchman
    2/ France can win, but only if an ally does most of the fighting
    3/ When incapable of victory, claim someone else's
    4/ When in doubt, send an ally

7. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Slightly off topic, but had me in stitches when the penny dropped.

Somebody recently told me the French Navy have a new recruiting slogan.

"To the water. The hour has come"

Which didnt mean a thing till I did the translation...

"à l'eau, c'est l'heure"

Give it time...

8. Apologies if this has been heard before, but in the current thread I felt it appropriate.

"The French military's state of alert has today been raised from Level 4 (Run away) to Level 3 (Hide). This is a serious escalation of the readiness state, and is only lower than Level 2 (Surrender) and Level 1 (Collaborate). This change has been provoked by a major fire at the French white flag factory, which has effectively paralysed their armed forces."

:D

9. Fine, all they need now is 30,000 cavalrymen and for the British Army to learn how to form squares again.

10. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

Bugger squares. A few claymores and the army will have fresh meat in the field for ages.

11. I agree with you - but you ai't gonna get any sense of proportion on this sticky :D :D

12. Bonaparte was not feeling well at Waterloo he was suffering from a bad attack of the farmers (Giles ie piles).
    I imagine that having to travel about on horseback did not help this. Having said that Bonaparte was a true genius and his legacies, good and bad, are still to be seen today but Wellington selected the battlefield and the French delayed the kick-off because of the overnight rain. These French officers should learn to be more careful where you fight and not let your enemy choose the battlefield. I suppose the French should at last admit that with victories like this who need defeats.

For all those who have not already done this, try typing "French military victories" into Google and carry through the search..

13. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Your Frog is obviously better than mine. It took me almost 24 hours till the penny dropped and I snotted all over the steering wheel.

14. That was Miles Kington in Lets Parler Franglais