French strip expat Brits of Healthcare rights

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by armchair_jihad, Sep 2, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This will be of concern to some

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/health/article2368553.ece

2. Time to re-assert Calais as being a British province?

Re-assert the embargo on French apples (which I've never knowingly bought since the beef fiasco)?

Or turn around and say, "Serves you fcuking right!"?

3. or introduce the same laws in the UK for non taxpayers?

4. Cow

Cow LE

So they're saying if you haven't contribute to the cost of health care in France then you'll get charged for using it? You still receive healthcare if of retirement age, just not if your still of working age.

Look at the amount of people who come to the UK to get treatment on the NHS. If anything but emergency treatment was free then they'd soon think twice.
    France may be full of the French but they do have some good (if unpopular) ideas. Look at how many Asylum Seakers are passing through to enter Britain.

This may not be easy for the people living there but:

If you became French (yeah, i know)/paid their taxes would you then receive their health care free of charge?
    Are you still entitled to NHS treatment?

Not a popular law by any roads, but one which the French are going to save themselves some money with. I can't say I totally disagree with it.

5. I think this country should say all French in the Country are no longer entitled to our healthcare, or have i misunderstood it :?

6. It's just another case where EU law only applies to those countries stupid enough to accept it.

Britain won't apply a similar ruling because it would undermine EU harmony and would have a disastrous impact on the East European member states.

7. Cow

Cow LE

Yes, but why stop at the French? Any one who isn't a UK Citizen, is not entitled to treatment on the NHS apart from Emergency Treatment. Even this can be claimed back via the E111 (Or whatever the card is now called) system or Private Heath Insurance. If they can't pay then no treatment.

8. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Deleted for being un-neccessarily offensive. It was late and I was tired.

And drunk :oops:

9. Cow

Cow LE

Comment from the Times:
    It's already happening. Healthcare is expensive and costs us a lot in taxes. Why should we support everyone else if they don't support us? Treatment is available via the EHIC

EHIC Information: The agreement at the moment from what I read into the card, is that as a resident of an EEC State we can get free/reduced healthcare while visiting a member country. If we then decide to take up residence in a different country then we have to contribute to the costs of their healthcare just like we do here in the UK by paying tax to support the NHS.

10. Fool? What's the problem with being obliged to contribute to the country that's supplying your healthcare? Unless you're advocating an EU Health Service?

Currently, France, Spain, Cyprus are subsidising the healthcare of retired UK ex-pats (and others) while UK subsidises the healthcare of Eastern European economic migrants. OK, it's a bit of a generalisation, but the ultimate issue is that those who have funded a nations's healthcare are subsidising the care of other nationals.

If EU-wide free treatment were limited to emergencies only (and I wouldn't class childbirth as an emergency as it's predicted), citizens would be getting back what they paid in.

(This is me being serious now).

And posted as somebody who pays into the system and gets fcuk all back!

11. If the expats are living in France,aren't they paying local taxes in which case they should be entitled to Medical car alao the E111 card entitles you to reciprocal medicare as if you are a Citizen of that country, if the French decides to deny this to just British citizens not other Nationality then it really stinks of anti-British Bias.

since when have the French played by the rules in the EU anyway.

12. Would somebody be so kind and give a link to the rules for expats in Spain.

Cheers in advance

SK

13. As far as I can tell, from that link and from French sources too, you're denied free healthcare if you fulfil all of the following requirements

1. You're not a French national
    2. You're below retirement age in your "home" country but have taken early retirement
    3. You're not working in France (thus you're not paying taxes to the French govt)
    4. You've been in France for more than 2 years.

So, basically, if you're not paying taxes and the French equivalent of national insurance, you don't get free/heavily subsidised healthcare. If you're over retirement age in your own country, you get free healthcare. If you're under retirement age and are still working, you get the healthcare.

14. :? True if you join the E.U. expect to get screwed, French want it all there way, ask BLiar :?

15. I don't know why anyone is concerned, they will only come over to the UK on (ill) health holidays.