French soldiers unprepared for Taliban ambush: report

What like they didn't have the white flags ready and the working parts removed from the bang sticks.
Brought shame upon their country by being caught out in such a dishonourable fashion....

Next one will be seen crying on TV when he loses his IPOD

Jutsie said:
Isn't the whole point of an ambush that you aren't prepared for it?
I thought that? Isn’t the whole idea of an ambush is to take the enemy by surprise?

Though 'where there's, blame, there's a claim'.

ark-angel said:
What like they didn't have the white flags ready and the working parts removed from the bang sticks.
Brought shame upon their country by being caught out in such a dishonourable fashion....

Next one will be seen crying on TV when he loses his IPOD
Crap post that.

There it it, report denied:

According to an AFP from 13h14, the spokesman for NATO James Appathurai said "the secretary general is not aware of such a report (...) At this stage, and after research We found no trace of such a report ".] In Paris, the Ministry of Defense says that" we do not have the time element for the very existence of this document. "He there was no report of NATO is hogwash "react more strongly an officer of the General Staff.

http://translate.google.co.uk/trans...stan-q-1.html#more&sl=fr&tl=en&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

What is true though is that the current french army individual kit is crap and that no many in the head shed expected such casualties so early in the mission.

Like I wrote before on this forum, I hope these 10 KIAs will at least open the eyes of the top brass on the crying needs of deployed units

fantassin said:
Complete and utter BS like said before and confirmed by a NATO spokesman
Sorry, just to clarify but when you say it's 'utter BS' do you mean the actual contents/facts of the so called report was utter BS or that the information mentioned was generally factual but that the actual reporting of a report was BS? If that makes any sense. :)

As far as is known now, there is not such a thing as a "secret NATO report"; at the most, there is a leaked e-mail written from uncomplete information by a JOC officer in the hours after the attack.

Nothing that is quoted in this "report" is new; it has all already been either said or confirmed by the french general staff. The overall tone of the report is very sensationalistic but all the points made are easy to either understand or answer.

One example: "fought at close range"; the Taleban know and fear CAS so they close in; they had what they wanted since the first pair of F-15E which arrived on site could not drop their ordnance because the troop in contact were so close to the enemy; they had to wait for A-10s gun runs. So ther is nothing new or secret in that, just a dramatization of allready well known facts.

What is sure is that, as I wrote on this forum months before the french TF was deployed to this area, it is not well prepared for the task. Years of under-funding have eroded the capabilities of the french army to the point that a lot of equipment had to be purchased off the shelf in a hurry just before leaving for A-stan. It has yet to be fully delivered and according to the wife of a paratrooper heard yesterday on the french radio, there are still many kit related problems in the french TF such as lack of proper body armour. Mine protected vehicles had to be bought (second hand) from the US and there are only 5 of them.

Last week, on the France 2 channel, there was an absolutely damning report on the french TF over there, still on the kit point of view. A french TV crew followed the french chief of the defense staff to a visit in A-stan; he was obviously on a cheering up visit to the TF which had suffered the casualties. After adressing the troop and telling the paras that basically all was well, a corporal walked out of the ranks and started asking the CDS, in front of the TV reporters, when they would start to get decent kit...the CDS asked the reporters to stop filming.

They then went to visit the fitter section where a SSGT was working on a VBL; same story, he complained of lack of spare parts and ridiculous procedures...the CDS asked the TV crew to stop filming again...then a group of soldiers, there faces hidden, showed what they had to cope with: obsolete MGs, no shields on the vehicles, etc, etc.

For those who speak french, here is a link to the TV report:

http://info.france2.fr/complement-denquete/emissions/46423283-fr.php

Personnaly, I think that all that shit stirring around the lack of kit is good; I hope it will give the army its due and that they'll stop sending people in harm's ways with crap equipment.

I recall reading a comment years ago by an American who claimed he'd done some work with the Legion; a primary concern of his regarding their ops was they typically went on patrol with inadequate ammo and water. I don't recall the name of the person making these claims, it just stood out to me. I served in the USMC for a few months with a former Sergeant in the Legion. He was a good guy, but a bit twitchy after some intense experiences with them.

Yank_Lurker said:
I recall reading a comment years ago by an American who claimed he'd done some work with the Legion; a primary concern of his regarding their ops was they typically went on patrol with inadequate ammo and water. I don't recall the name of the person making these claims, it just stood out to me. I served in the USMC for a few months with a former Sergeant in the Legion. He was a good guy, but a bit twitchy after some intense experiences with them.
I have read similar comments years ago, writer was quite surprised how "lightly" equipped FFL went into training or ops.

Might have been same comment.

On the other hand, considering the combat load of US infantry etc. in Iraq etc...those guys are quite definitely overburden time to time.

Probability of journo seeing a document/s caveat 'Secret' - Low

Probability of US DoD leaking document slating French forces having only just got them on side in Afghanistan - Low

Probability of newspaper printing some BS story - High