French Prime Minister Resigns

Reports are coming in that the French Prime Minister, Edouard Philippe has resigned. Pity, he seemed to be the only competant one amongst them and a decent guy. Possibly he lost a power struggle with the deeply unpopular Macron.

Nah, he has had enough of Parisian life and the grief of fronting up an increasingly unpopular government.
Going back to Le Havre as Mayor again and getting less stress for his money.
He was right of centre anyway, and got poached by Macron to come over to his new party back then.
Possibly he has also seen the writing on the wall after the recent local elections and now has 6 years of guaranteed income as Monsieur le Mayor.
The grief, infighting and stress of being the head of a national government, or being a local mayor.
At the age of 50 too.
Not really much of a choice is there?

Nah, he has had enough of Parisian life and the grief of fronting up an increasingly unpopular government.
Going back to Le Havre as Mayor again and getting less stress for his money.
He was right of centre anyway, and got poached by Macron to come over to his new party back then.
Possibly he has also seen the writing on the wall after the recent local elections and now has 6 years of guaranteed income as Monsieur le Mayor.
The grief, infighting and stress of being the head of a national government, or being a local mayor.
At the age of 50 too.
Not really much of a choice is there?
Although my wife told me the other day that French media were reporting that he had thrown his hat into the ring as the next President.

Reports are coming in that the French Prime Minister, Edouard Philippe has resigned. Pity, he seemed to be the only competant one amongst them and a decent guy. Possibly he lost a power struggle with the deeply unpopular Macron.
According to Reuters.

The whole Government has resigned, not just the PM

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and his government resigned on Friday as President Emmanuel Macron acted on a pledge to reinvent his administration and win back disillusioned voters ahead of a possible re-election bid in 2022.

Macron's toast.

According to Reuters.

Macron's toast.
I doubt that the French establishment can manufacture another Macron to keep Marine Le Pen out of the Elysee Palace this time...

According to Reuters.

Macron's toast.
Oh dear- Macron must be playing for time with the Commission. Frying pan and fire come to mind.

Normal procedure, Macron has roughly 21 more months to go.
He isn't going anywhere yet.
It is he who appoints the next PM and the PM then proposes his Ministers, subject to approval from the President.

In 21 months his problems will start to show

I doubt that the French establishment can manufacture another Macron to keep Marine Le Pen out of the Elysee Palace this time...
There is an old concept about synch. Could it be that Macron is the wrong man at the wrong time? I don't think Le Pen would be the answer either.

Normal procedure, Macron has roughly 21 more months to go.
He isn't going anywhere yet.
It is he who appoints the next PM and the PM then proposes his Ministers, subject to approval from the President.

In 21 months his problems will start to show
Macron did recently moot the idea of early Presidential elections. The catalyst will be fishing.

Smacks a bit of sinking ship and desertion syndrome.

There is an old concept about synch. Could it be that Macron is the wrong man at the wrong time? I don't think Le Pen would be the answer either.
Le Pen is definitely not the answer; if she gets into the Elysee Palace, watch the EU dissolve. The Germans will simply not work with her.

I thought the French government resignation was a, sort of, accepted way and happens quite regularly?
A bit like our cabinet reshuffles but en bloc. The Pres then picks a new team.

Seems odd that the PM and all his lot resign each time there is a reshuffle and even the de Gaulle government resigned en masse at one point which led to de Gaulle appointing a new PM and cabinet.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I think we should adopt the attitude of its "quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing". We’ll work with however replaces the departed. The PM is gone, vive la PM etc

lecky

War Hero
I think we should adopt the attitude of its "quarrel in a far away country, between people of whom we know nothing". We’ll work with however replaces the departed. The PM is gone, vive la PM etc
It's not really that "far away" though is it?
The fact that if it were on the opposite side of the planet, I might feel better about it, doesn't come into it. However, if Le Pen get's in anytime soon, I'm sure there will be many in France with family connections in London and alike, who will be making a B line for here...regardless if we are out of the EU and full of Hong Kong's finest.
It'll be by the likes of the BBC's next big stick to use against our Government?
Better the devil you know?

It's not really that "far away" though is it?
The fact that if it were on the opposite side of the planet, I might feel better about it, doesn't come into it. However, if Le Pen get's in anytime soon, I'm sure there will be many in France with family connections in London and alike, who will be making a B line for here...regardless if we are out of the EU and full of Hong Kong's finest.
It'll be by the likes of the BBC's next big stick to use against our Government?
Better the devil you know?
If Macron stands again, he won't win.

The EU was great for France up until German reunification; I think that it is slowly dawning on the French that they have made a serious mistake.
Ohhhh good. Sorry to be partisan but I am. Question is what else could they do? It was sort of Preordained. I am enjoying a bit of Schadenfreude today, so bear with me.
just thought it was the EEC before unification.

Latest Threads