French Military Victory! No really Carrickfergus Castle 1760

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by BuggerAll, Jan 18, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Went for a motorcycle ride yesterday to Carrick Fergus Castle in County Antrim. I was stunned to discover that the frogs defeated the garrison in 1760 and occupied the castle.

I had no idea that British territory had ever been occupied by the French. (William the B'stard was Norman not French).

I feel unclean.

2. The invasion of Fishguard 1797
    Dutch attack the Medway and Landguard 1660s
    Barbary pirates invasion of Cornwall 1500s

and lots more

3. They defeated the Royal Navy during the Battle of Port Louis, Mauritius, held the Island until 10,000 British Infantry landed, in turn taking back the Island.

4. We have even had Germans fighting on British soil, at East Stoke in 1487

5. Not mention raiding along the South Coast. I know the frogs 'invaded' the Isle of wight, laid siege to Carisbrooke Castle and IIRC torched Yarmouth at least once.

On a related note, was watching Dan Snow's new Empire of the Seas and was surprised to learn that Barbary pirates raided england for slaves in the 17th century.

6. I hope an apology is forthcoming for that historical indiscretion

7. I was extracting the urine from a visiting Dutch tourist the other day and he suddenly says '1689 when we sail up the Thames and took England'.
    I assume they teach history different to how we do.
    john

8. Prince william of orange and the overthrow of King james

9. You could also say the Krauts invaded in 1714 when German George took over

10. Have you been to Yarmouth? Can't really blame the Jean Crapauds.

11. It's such a shame they didn't make it as far as Bradford....

12. De Ruyter sailed up the Thames, attacked the RN fleet successfully with fireships, captured a number of British ships which he used to bombard defensive forts and blockaded London. Caused a more balanced renegociation of the peace terms at the end of the 2nd Anglo-Dutch war.

Attached Files:

14. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Frogs also trashed Portsmouth a couple of times in the 12th century or so.