• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

French Marine Infantry in Afganistan

pandaplodder said:
http://www.france24.com/en/20091126-afghanistan-france-kapisa-afghanya-rima-marines-war-taliban-reporter

The battle for Afghania valley, featured the 3rd RIMa who are from Brittany - in case your wondering about the bagpipes.

Video is 28 mins long.
which of course would explain them playing "Highland Cathedral"...... :wink:

Good vid. Do they have special magazines on the FAMAS now?

No, it's still the same old 25 rounds mag. The FAMAS are getting really old now and there is currently a debate about the opportunity of changing it for a newer design, particularly since there's been a recent spat of incident in Afghanistan.

French Army and Air Force SOF already use the HK 416 and many would like to go this way;meanwhile, HK 417 have been bought to replace the FR-F2 as DM rifle in Afghanistan and 7,62 Minimi to replace the ancient ANF-1 MMG.

fantassin said:
French Army and Air Force SOF already use the HK 416 and many would like to go this way; meanwhile, HK 417 have been bought to replace the FR-F2 as DM rifle in Afghanistan and 7.62 Minimi to replace the ancient ANF-1 MMG.
I'm surprised - doesn't that have pieces of, choc horreur, American designed stuff in it? ;) Although after Heckler & Koch have redesigned the innards I suppose you could get away with calling it European enough. Serious question but with a different gas system how much is left that's common to the M4? I thought the whole point of the HK416 was that it was so similar to the M4 family for ease of use and that you only had to replace the upper, if buying a whole new system I'd of assumed France might have gone for something completely new like the FN SCAR but then don't know what their needs/specifications were at time of choice. Although this isn't the QM's so I'll stop derailing pandaplodder's thread now. :)

Brick said:
fantassin said:
French Army and Air Force SOF already use the HK 416 and many would like to go this way; meanwhile, HK 417 have been bought to replace the FR-F2 as DM rifle in Afghanistan and 7.62 Minimi to replace the ancient ANF-1 MMG.
I'm surprised - doesn't that have pieces of, choc horreur, American designed stuff in it? ;) Although after Heckler & Koch have redesigned the innards I suppose you could get away with calling it European enough. Serious question but with a different gas system how much is left that's common to the M4? I thought the whole point of the HK416 was that it was so similar to the M4 family for ease of use and that you only had to replace the upper, if buying a whole new system I'd of assumed France might have gone for something completely new like the FN SCAR but then don't know what their needs/specifications were at time of choice. Although this isn't the QM's so I'll stop derailing pandaplodder's thread now. :)

The French SOF have been using M-16s for a loooong time but during the 2003 tensions between FRA and the USA spare parts were an issue. So the decision to go for a weapon with similar handling to the M-16 family but produced in the EU was made then.

The SCAR is also being considered for general use if the FAMAS was to be replaced.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
fantassin said:
The French SOF have been using M-16s for a loooong time but during the 2003 tensions between FRA and the USA spare parts were an issue.
Things got that bad?! Seriously?

Yes, many spare parts suddenly were no longer shipped to non US addresses or were plainly reserved for the US military.

The French SOF found a way around it when part of OEF between 2003 and 2006; they had most of the M-16A1/A2 upgraded to M-4A1 standard by US Army armourers by trading the spares against alcohol....

fantassin said:
Brick said:
fantassin said:

The French SOF have been using M-16s for a loooong time but during the 2003 tensions between FRA and the USA spare parts were an issue. So the decision to go for a weapon with similar handling to the M-16 family but produced in the EU was made then.

The SCAR is also being considered for general use if the FAMAS was to be replaced.

BEWARE:

Don't believe this guys nonsense. The USA did NOT suspend shipment of spares to France because of the Iraq issue. It was due to the fact the US needed spares for their own weapons. It had bugger all do to with "tensions." The poster has some "issues" and you need to be aware of this.

Looks like I have a spokesperson now, how interesting....but some US suppliers did stop sending spares to non APO and specifically to french addresses as part of National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice's exhortation to "Punish France, ignore Germany, forgive Russia".

The result is now apart from the M2 HMG, no US small arms are currently in general service in France even though France has no indigenous small arms production capabilities anymore.

fantassin said:
Looks like I have a spokesperson now, how interesting....but some US suppliers did stop sending spares to non APO and specifically to french addresses as part of National Security Advisor Condoleezza Rice's exhortation to "Punish France, ignore Germany, forgive Russia".

The result is now apart from the M2 HMG, no US small arms are currently in general service in France even though France has no indigenous small arms production capabilities anymore.
Wrong - It wasn't Rice, it was Rumsfield, and it did not apply to supplies, etc.

My Yank friends in AFghanistan tell me of their high regard and respect for the French forces there. It would appear that, at least on the ground the US and their oldest ally work closely. Too bad you don't celebrate that renewal in the relationship.

As usual, you don't read previous post and turn everything around IOT fit your bigotry.

The issue here is the fact that spare parts for US made small arms were near impossible to get for FRA SF in the 2003-2005 time frame because of US official statements and policies (and the above statement WAS from Rice, if in doubt Google and you shall find as in here http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/19...nish-france-ignore-germany-and-forgive-russia "Punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia.")

That is a fact and the way around it was to replace US-made weapons with German, Swiss and Belgian made weapons and before it happened, to modernize the old M-16s against bottles of booze thanks to the "dry" policy of the US-contingent in OEF, a policy which does not apply to the French.

The issue is not about the respect of US/French troops which has always, with a few exceptions, been there.

So get down from your little box of US-made soaps and engage brains before posting your drivel.

fantassin said:
As usual, you don't read previous post and turn everything around IOT fit your bigotry.

The issue here is the fact that spare parts for US made small arms were near impossible to get for FRA SF in the 2003-2005 time frame because of US official statements and policies (and the above statement WAS from Rice, if in doubt Google and you shall find as in here http://www.quotesdaddy.com/quote/19...nish-france-ignore-germany-and-forgive-russia "Punish France, ignore Germany and forgive Russia.")

That is a fact and the way around it was to replace US-made weapons with German, Swiss and Belgian made weapons and before it happened, to modernize the old M-16s against bottles of booze thanks to the "dry" policy of the US-contingent in OEF, a policy which does not apply to the French.

The issue is not about the respect of US/French troops which has always, with a few exceptions, been there.

So get down from your little box of US-made soaps and engage brains before posting your drivel.
I laughed so hard I nearly wet myself. I am not on a box of US-made soaps, British soaps are much better. My posts are not drivel.

You must have had a miserable time at Shrivenham.

fantassin said:
Quite surprised to hear that. If going for the M16 family would have expected them to go for something like the Canadian C7 version that US ones, although once the decision to change was made can see why the HK416 was chosen instead.

fantassin said:
The French SOF found a way around it when part of OEF between 2003 and 2006; they had most of the M-16A1/A2 upgraded to M-4A1 standard by US Army armourers by trading the spares against alcohol....
Ha! Sounds like the Germans when they were trading beer to the Americans for local intelligence and helicopter/transport services out in northern Afghanisatn. :)

RedCoat2009 said:
The poster has some "issues" and you need to be aware of this.
Mate, I'm sure you only meant to help you've been here all of three weeks, I think I've got a pretty good idea of the lay of the land thanks. :) Whilst I might not always agree with fantassin I can usually respect him for arguing his corner well.

smallbrownprivates said:
pandaplodder said:
http://www.france24.com/en/20091126-afghanistan-france-kapisa-afghanya-rima-marines-war-taliban-reporter

The battle for Afghania valley, featured the 3rd RIMa who are from Brittany - in case your wondering about the bagpipes.

Video is 28 mins long.
which of course would explain them playing "Highland Cathedral"...... :wink:

Good vid. Do they have special magazines on the FAMAS now?
Which was also written by a German :wink: :wink: