French foreign legion

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by louis, Jul 31, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone ever considered giving this a shot? or know anyone that has?.

I watched a program on them a few weeks ago and it looked really rather good.

2. I considered it, for a brief second but decided against it due to not wanting to serve the cheese eating surrender monkeys.

3. No but I met the bloke who wrote "A mouthfull of rocks" once..... a meeting I will not forget in a hurry!

Trotsky

4. Thier reputation proceeds them and that's about it.

5. I joined up in 1980.

Got kicked out a couple of weeks later though cos i was under age.

They can really pick and choose who they take now days

I met a few guys in the early 90's who had served in the Legion.

The thing they moaned about was the boredom while they was in

6. i always thought they took all kinds of low lifes, deserters and general dregs of society?.

it appears they still have a large problem with people deserting

7. This is their web site

www.legion-etrangere.com/

Click on the Brit flag to see the site in English.

They stopped taking the dregs years ago.There were loads of us kicked out at the same time.Some guys walked to Spain to join their Legion when they still took non Spanish nationals

8. Dont forget Jean-Claude Van Damme.

9. ahhh the lionheart!!!!

10. They're still pretty hardcore from what I can gather. I suppose I'm a bit of a walt in that im quite interested in stuff like this, they still consdier anyone who turns up at the door, you don't have to give your real name or anything like that, and the Legion keeps your details secret from everyone who isn't a legionairre. Apart from the refusal to accept the real dregs nowadays, they're also no longer based over seas.

11. Bollox.

12. Everything looks good on Tv when you are sat there with your beer and crisps. I know someone who did it for a while (British soldier who desrted to go) decided it was not for him and deserted - no more Euro Disney for him.

I also know of someone else who is still in after 8 years. Sgt now. Comes home and drinks like a fish.

13. Check out the website, then call it bollox. Then I won't mind. As it stands, I'm pretty sure what I said was right.