French Foreign Legion

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Livin_on_a_prayer, May 5, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Are these guys actually any good? saw a programme about them a while ago, the training was pretty tough, although I imagine their bark is alot worse than their bite.

<Insert french joke here>
  2. They can easily outrun the British army so long as they’re running away from the enemy :D
  3. haven't got a french joke for you but there is a channel 4 series being repeated on sky 529 @ 10 p.m called escape to the legion. Am not sure if you know the score on it but its three ex-legionnares running a course for 15 or so civvies , something along the lines of sas-tough enough, does seem quite interesting. One of the sgts from the show was posting on here a while ago,

sgt glen ferguson
  4. its hosted by bear grylls? ex SAS type...
  5. I suppose the best that can be said is that the French Foreign Legion certainly used to be very good, and an awful lot bigger than it is today - I recall a figure of some 7,500 all ranks as opposed to 30,000-40,000 at the time of the war in Indochina. There is a certain school of thought - which I partly subscribe to - which believes that the Legion was emasculated by French politicians after the failed putsch in 1961, and has been kept on a short leash since that time, apart from the occasional 'fire brigade' deployment in the former colonies. Its role has also changed, primarily due to its size. I have also heard it said that the influx of so many volunteers from Eastern Europe, the wider former Soviet Bloc, and the Balkans since 1989 has lowered the standard of légionnaire and consequently the Legion itself. It still has the finest esprit de corps and ethos of any French military unit, which granted wouldn't be too difficult when one remembers that a predominantly conscript army has only been phased-out in France of late for the first time since the Revolution of 1789.

The following links are of interest:
  6. Worked with a lad who was ex legion. Basic is 15 weeks before 'white kepi' however a phase two type training is carryed out when you get posted to your unit as each unit has a different role, and thats supposed to be nails as your getting thrashed by your 'on the ground' heads rather than a training team in an RTC.

Phys for basic I think is pretty similar to the like of para/booty type basic, gota knock out a 2.6km run, do a few 6-8 mile load carrys in, 'just before my legs give way' time
  7. My sister in law's cousin is in it (he's Irish). Very strange guy. But he seems to like it. Whatever spins your props I suppose. They do get to visit alot of shitholes but then again, the money is good.
  8. Friend of mine done over 15 years in the Legion. He is a member of the Foreign Legion Association of Great Britian who march yearly at the Cenotaph. I recently toured France and was given a list of former legionnares by him if I wanted to stay out of Hotels. Excellent bunch of guys, very welcoming and friendly.
  9. MY dad sered in the 2REP from 1985 to 1995and was a caporal chef for 10 years after leavin the british forces hes said it was the best and worst 10 years of his life i might join for the fun of it :D
  10. Had to do a bit of FFL research when I threw my Bravo Two Zero Alternative together.

Quite impressive and just the stuff of dreams (or nightmares) for my ex-REME frame of mind.

The only thing wrong with the French Foreign Legion is the the 'French' at the start of it.
  11. Of course you will.
  12. Bit unfair ... this is the only part of the french army to make a habit of last stands. Admittedly only the officers are supposed to be french, the french politicals tend to use and discard cause they are only foreigners and since the hacienda last stand the regiment seems to like battle honours that include the words 'fought to the last'.
  13. Can't actually out run the british army got into a speed march competition with them in nijamegian if your beaten over the finishing line by stabs. then maybe your as elite as the RAF regiment.
    although they looked much harder than us (admitidly not that difficut)
  14. I saw a program about them a while back, they arent as tough as they used to be. I remember the officers used to punch recruits in the face just for not speaking french fluently. They also used be very racist (its the frogs after all).
  15. yeah thats the badger.