French Foreign Legion today -An interview with General de Saint-Chamas

I recall reading somwehere that all Ex Legionnares could call a number, wherever they were in the world, if they were in trouble and help would arrive pretty sharpish. Bit like the AA but with guns and fast cars.

I think you are confusing the Norman Schwartzkopf tale , he was given a card by the Legion with a number to call where ever he was in the world if he had a problem, the Legion would rescue him , assuming Frances politicians allowed it :)

FFL probably loved Schwartzkopff as he gave them a quite important role in Desert Storm. I was quite surprised* by the role they got.

* (Surprised as in : was remarkeable seeing them on the news etc. I wasn't surprised as in I was a Republican Guard machine-gunner and they destroyed my bunker. Just wish to clarify the use of 'surprised.' OK?)

You were ? I`m very surprised by that.

At least the French still had [many] military hospitals in the '90's [and probably still do] and my son [ex 13DBLE] is alive and grateful for that.

Yeah I spotted that , one hopes its a mistranslation , promiscuité probably means "over crowding"

Direct translations don't always work from French to English. A friend of mine tells the story of when he was still in training and struggling with French an NCO told the recruits 'The Captain is coming over and his balls are full'. Apparently in French that means he isn't very happy and is about to dish out a bollocking but it had my friend clenching his arrse cheeks until he worked out what was going on.

Direct translations don't always work from French to English. A friend of mine tells the story of when he was still in training and struggling with French an NCO told the recruits 'The Captain is coming over and his balls are full'. Apparently in French that means he isn't very happy and is about to dish out a bollocking but it had my friend clenching his arrse cheeks until he worked out what was going on.

An amusing Spanish phrase is "you are tickling my balls" meaning you are taking the piss !

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
they made me change my name when i joined and als gave me a new mum. then a month later chucked me out for being almost blind in one eye.

yey

Chef

LE
I still think I'm right about the secret phone number that all ex Legionnares have if they are in trouble anywhere in the world.

Wouldn't know about that but I did drink with a 2eme REP type who said if there was trouble in a bar or similar a shout of

'A moi La Legion!' Would bring any members past or present to your aid. Presumably if used by a non legionaire the post scuffle debrief would be short and painful.

Actually the Farm is a good few miles outside Castel where you go for a months training and compared to basic training in the Brit Army its piss easy just PT and fieldcraft, on the subject of mistranslations my Sgt Chefs ( he was Japanese ) favourite insult was "your mother is very wet" !! **** knows what that meant but it uses to make me laugh