French fleet to blockade Jersey, PM sends in Gunboats

I am spectacularly uninformed about maritime-type stuff, so this is a genuine (and probably dumb question):

Why is there any debate in this kind of situation? Is there some kind of assumed right that foreign vessels can fish in another nation's territorial waters?

Like I say, not a leading question; I have no real idea and am quite interested...

1620327898756.png

OneTenner

LE
Book Reviewer
I am spectacularly uninformed about maritime-type stuff, so this is a genuine (and probably dumb question):

Why is there any debate in this kind of situation? Is there some kind of assumed right that foreign vessels can fish in another nation's territorial waters?

Like I say, not a leading question; I have no real idea and am quite interested...
In this case there is a historic cultural and trading relationship between Jersey and France. Until Brexit Jersey had an agreement with the French (the Granville Bay Treaty), which worked, but which became redundant with Brexit, because Britain handles foreign affairs on behalf of Jersey.
Jersey sells 90% of its fish to France, whose ports are much closer than those of the UK.
In return, a number of French fishing boats were permitted to fish within Jersey's territorial waters.
Brexit caused Jersey to require the French to re-apply for permission to fish where they had historically fished. Permission is automatic for those who provide evidence that they have fished regularly in recent years. Those who have provided that evidence have already been granted permits. Those who haven't been granted permits can't provide evidence, which suggests they've never fished there, and therefore shouldn't be applying.
There's no doubt that recent events have been stirred up by those who have never fished Jersey waters, but who suddenly want to be able to do so. Had Brexit not occurred, those same pretenders would not have even thought of wanting to fish Jersey waters.
There are a lot of political shennanigans going on here.

NSP

LE
Apparently the Germans spent a fortune turning that island into a fortress despite it having no strategic value to WW2.
Built it into the Atlantic Wall. They ran out of resources and, ultimately, Fuhrer before they completed the installations but both Guernsey and Jersey still have extensive and well-preserved examples of what they did complete. See the Self-Taken Photo thread from 8th Nov through 2nd Dec 2019 for pics from my Jersey war-tourism escapades.

NSP

LE
something like 10% of all the concrete poured for the Atlantic Wall went on jersey and guernsey, for as much good as it did hitler. as thunderbox said, there was no strategic value to them and they were simply bypassed on D-Day.

the Jersey War Tunnels are an interesting wander around if you're ever there.
The batteries did tickle up a fair few passing RN assets, though, and the AA clipped a few wings. There's a cemetery in St. Helier for the Allied dead from engagements with the Jersey installations - mostly RN but some USN, RAF and USAF. All buried by the Germans with full military honours, apparently.

NSP

LE
the Jersey War Tunnels are an interesting wander around if you're ever there.
When I went there they had a "StuGIII" in the entrance which anyone with a bit of subject knowledge would look down at the running gear and immediately realize that it was a replica built from a surplus FV432.

I could not find another Jersey blockade response I read on twitter but it went like this. Please adopt the prescribed Goon voices when doing so.

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "You stupid English with your Yorkshire Puddings, we have invaded Jersey!"

Boris: (Milligan/Count Jim Moriarty) We have despatched a soldier to parachute in and sort you all out.

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "Pathetique"!

Boris: (Milligan/Count Jim Moriarty) "Nice chap, first name is Mohammed."

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "Tout est perdu! Retreat! Retreat!"

I could not find another Jersey blockade response I read on twitter but it went like this. Please adopt the prescribed Goon voices when doing so.

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "You stupid English with your Yorkshire Puddings, we have invaded Jersey!"

Boris: (Milligan/Count Jim Moriarty) We have despatched a soldier to parachute in and sort you all out.

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "Pathetique"!

Boris: (Milligan/Count Jim Moriarty) "Nice chap, first name is Mohammed."

Macron: (Secombe/Neddie Seagoon) "Tout est perdu! Retreat! Retreat!"

I don’t wish to know that!

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
The batteries did tickle up a fair few passing RN assets, though, and the AA clipped a few wings. There's a cemetery in St. Helier for the Allied dead from engagements with the Jersey installations - mostly RN but some USN, RAF and USAF. All buried by the Germans with full military honours, apparently.
indeed. they didn't have the Stug the last time I was there. though they did have a tasty looking Kubelwagen just inside the entrance.

_DSC0118 2.jpg
_DSC0121 2.jpg _DSC0061 2.jpg

Latest Threads