French attempts to stamp out the English!!!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by g2_loony_bin, Feb 9, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Click for French outrage!

Thing that gets me though is the French MP speaking in English on the news report. Hypocrisy from the cheese eating surrender monkeys... :pissedoff:
  2. I love the French. I just can't eat a whole one.
  3. Were the chassueur on the other pied, I am sure we would be doing exactly the same thing. The creep of ugly-Americanisms into UK dialect is the subject of regular debate in this country.

As for the 'cheese eating surrender monkey' tag - levelled against France for refusing to take part in the invasion of Iraq - who looks the foolish ones now?

Still can't understand what they see in Johnny Halliday, mind.
  4. he's actually Belgian (real name Jean-Philippe Smets), and has left France for Switzerland, creating national outrage

5. Errr, I thought that monica came from thier heroic wartime record against the Prussians/Germans. (Franco-Prussian War, WW1, WW2)

Why did the French plant trees lining thier roads?
    So the invading germans could march in the shade.

6. Their recent military history was certainly the justification for the tag - but its passage into widespread usage (from being a bon mot of Messr Bart Simpson) came about under the whole 2002/3 neo-con 'Freedom Fries' episode, n'est ce pas?
  7. Balls. I have been knocking the french for years before Iraq.
  8. How startlingly original of you. I have never before heard of such a thing.
  9. If you want a good piss take on the French read:

A Year in the Merde by Stephen Clark
  10. Dont forget Indochina and Algeria as well nearly as good if not better than the septics at fcuking things up
  11. A favourite saying of my geography teacher when I was at school, I left in 1981!

A quick search of wiki turns this up:
    List of neologisms on The Simpsons - Cheese-eating Surrender Monkeys
    A derogatory nickname for the French. This phrase originated in Britain in the 1980s but was popularized by Scottish character Groundskeeper Willie.

Willie: [attempting to teach French to a classroom of children] Bonjour-r-r-r-r-r-r-r-r, you Cheese-eating Surrender Monkeys!

I think the term has been in use for a long time and does indeed relate to the English view of the wartime French.

That aside I think the French are right, I wouldn't be happy if my boss started to send me e-mails in French, mind you I would probably pay them more attention and wouldn't spend all day dripping about his use of punctuation. :frustrated:
  12. I, sort of agree, but the world language is English and anyone with any sense realises this.
  13. I stand corrected (if mildly surprised).

Interestingly enough, Wiki also tells us that Winston Churchill was the orginator of the phrase 'Doh!' - apparently exclaimed to the House when told we had lost Singapore to a numerically inferior Japanese force.
  14. Interestingly the 'monkey' part came from came from Hartlepool.

Also interesting is that the only significant war the French have won in recent history on their own was the French Revolution, a war in which their main enemy was themselves. :numberone:
  15. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

They tried at Crecy and Agincourt and failed quite badley.