• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

French army falling apart

This is taken from the article:

"The disclosure comes just ten days before President Nicolas Sarkozy announces a major reform of the armed forces, with a defence white paper outlining France's military priorities for the next 15 years.

He is expected to argue that the situation can only improve by reducing the number of France's operational troops from 50,000 to 30,000"

Can anyone explain the definition of "operational troops" and what 50,000 is as a proportion of their Army? How does the British Army compare in numbers and proportion?

Pretty obvious,
France wants someone else to pay for the New Euro Force and sees no point in forking out for it's old style troops.
john

. Posted by Brian on June 06, 2008 09:55 PM
As a former American Marine, I'd rather bail out the French than the English.

WTF

leveller said:

WTF
I don't blame you. If the British need bailing out, it is likely to be a far more difficult/dangerous task.

This has the hallmarks of being war by media. It'll be interesting to see which side was behind it, the government arguing its case for the need for reductions or the military trying to shame them into increasing their funding.

Biped

LE
Book Reviewer
leveller said:

WTF
I can understand the logic. If you are looking for work, you find a place that needs people, and has a history of employing people.

Let's be honest about this shall we. Britain didn't go to war with Germany in two world wars on the basis that we were being invaded (we weren't) - we went to war to protect other European countries that were getting their butts kicked.

You septics came along a long time after these fights had started, and didn't fight on the shores of blighty; like Britain, you did your fighting on the European mainland, to free countries (other than Britain) from occupation by Germans.

I can't recall any time in history where Americans have actually fought on English soil to defend the UK.

Well then Biped let me help you out, there were about 8 who flew for the RAF and fought in the Battle of Britain. Only one of them survived the war.

leveller said:

yes you tried that in vietnam ?
turned out well did it :twisted: nothing like reinforcing failure
guess who originally trained the viet minh ?

LJONESY said:
Well then Biped let me help you out, there were about 8 who flew for the RAF and fought in the Battle of Britain. Only one of them survived the war.
Have you been watching Pearl Harbour again?

Latest Threads