Freeview & Accepting the Inevitable

The best alternative to endless mind-****?

• Go down the pub

Votes: 20 32.3%
  • Read more books

Votes: 38 61.3%
  • Get a Firestick

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Sky or something similar

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Collect stamps

Votes: 4 6.5%

• Total voters

Tuffty

War Hero
Your right mate how the BBC dare charge us £154.50 for the never ending shite they pump out as well. I am starting to think the only way these talentless tw*ts get onto the BBC is because they are related to some 'has been' someone or other. Miranda "not funny" Still Open all Hours "OMG kill me now" the list is endless. Please feel free to add to the list

Yes, however the beeb can give you intermittent service. The reason being that they are actively monitoring for ISP’s which present themselves multiple times at the same time, ie. 500 people all,watching beeb Telly through one ISP. When they ping one they block it.

some VPN providers market themselves on the ability to allow the punter to watch undisturbed Telly and charge accordingly. This is because they are regularly routing through newly acquired ISP’s. Others are not so active in the acquisition of new ISP’s.
That is correct, but the few times it happened {over a year ago now} I got on to the VPN Tech support who said that they knew one server in London was compromised and told me to switch to a different server, haven't been kicked since then. If I understood them correctly they also use a spoof system that randomizes the ISP but ISTBC on that.

That is correct, but the few times it happened {over a year ago now} I got on to the VPN Tech support who said that they knew one server in London was compromised and told me to switch to a different server, haven't been kicked since then. If I understood them correctly they also use a spoof system that randomizes the ISP but ISTBC on that.
What VPN do you use, asking for a friend

That BBC thing annoys me, when we're on holiday in Italy..... even though I've got an account with them, they won't let me in.
That's because some fcukkers use VPN's from outside the country.

@lokiuk My mate uses VPNExpress costs me him $13 a month - so $6 or $7 quid.

Note to anyone thinking of getting a VPN and you know of someone on Arsse who has one send that person a PM and exchange e-mail addresses. Recommendations normally get both peeps at least a free month and every blue moon maaaaybe 3 free months.

So what to do? Answers on a postcard.

I bought a bourgeois house in the Hollywood hills
With a trunkload of hundred thousand dollar bills
Man came by to hook up my cable TV
We settled in for the night my baby and me
We switched 'round and 'round 'til half-past dawn
There was fifty-seven channels and nothin' on

Well now home entertainment was my baby's wish
So I hopped into town for a satellite dish
I tied it to the top of my Japanese car
I came home and I pointed it out into the stars
A message came back from the great beyond
There's fifty-seven channnels and nothin' on

Last edited:

BigT

LE
It's Discovery that pisses me off. When they started in the '90s they were genuinely impressive with world class documentaries.

Nowadays they just relentlessly pump out reverse documentaries in which an 'investigative team' find 'clues' which lead to something that is already common knowledge.

An example of this formulaic tripe is a recent show when our heroes searched for the Ark of the Covenant. From Jerusalem and some 'secret' tunnels they followed a 'trail' which led them to Egypt, then down the Nile for a bit, finally ending up in Ethiopia where they 'discovered' a monastery where rumour has it that the Ark is located. This has been common knowledge for decades and the whole programme is just pointless, sensationalised and contrived crap.

Another thing that annoys me (there's quite a lot) is that these programmes (the History channel is just as bad), always have three members.... the good looking host, the slumming scientist, and the 'military expert' who is inevitably a thirty-something bearded bloke in a baseball cat who, also inevitably, was somebody important in the special forces and who peppers his speech with military jargon. The phrase which really gets my goat is 'force multiplier'; it makes me throw pets at the TV.

I wouldn't watch the crap, but I'm a sucker for history and always hope to learn something interesting. My optimism is very rarely justified;

I've got to stop ranting now, I've run out of inverted commas.
I wonder if Discovery would be interested in a series about a bunch of over weight middle aged ex squaddies following a trail of clues around Germany looking for the mythical lost bus load of nurses.

BopBopBop

War Hero
I've subscribed to both Amazon and Netflix for the last couple of years and my recently watched lists are full of stuff that I gave up on after about 10 minutes.
"Netflix/Amazon Original" is not a sign of quality and my Netflix subscription may soon be cancelled.

Amazon still gives you the option to purchase newish film.
Also have Google Play to purchase films without subscription.

Have just subscribed to BritBox and while I have yet to watch anything I am pleasantly surprised by the amount of content, especially memorable old stuff that I have watched and enjoyed during the course my lifetime.

Awol

LE
That's because some fcukkers use VPN's from outside the country.

@lokiuk My mate uses VPNExpress costs me him $13 a month - so $6 or $7 quid.

Note to anyone thinking of getting a VPN and you know of someone on Arsse who has one send that person a PM and exchange e-mail addresses. Recommendations normally get both peeps at least a free month and every blue moon maaaaybe 3 free months.
Opera browser. Free built-in VPN, you can choose your continent, but not your town or country. Works fine for everything I do.

Note- VPNs aren't illegal in themselves.

Opera browser. Free built-in VPN, you can choose your continent, but not your town or country. Works fine for everything I do.

They aren't illegal yet, but I bet they would be if Labour/Momentum/IRA/Hezbollah got in power

So it’s quite simple, start your evening with some exercise, walk, as I do approximately 400 yards, turn left, another 300 yards, turn left once more, you are now in the pub. Order drink number one, 2 ,3, 4, 5 and 6, partake in conversation with your fellow man or watch sport, manly pursuits. Now order drink 7, Wis for luck. Nowz yoush his a choice, whoder another breer or go far shortz, I prufur brundy. Hips his at dish point drat ta worldz cran grow fruck hipself. Whoder shortz 12, 6, 15 grand 5. Hor white bezzer who yaz droing? Hic, yooz da bestest broke a mate cran hiv. Drink. Gurlz. Titz who whip son, garn ferk ya shelf
Whife who da feckin. Bitsh Taxish.
ow ma feckin heeed hurts.
“No I’m sorry Mr. Hudson, Mr. MHT won’t be in today, he has a really bad migraine, yes I’ll tell him, bye”
Repeat night after night, until you loose ya job and the money runs out! There ya go, never watch shite TV again

It's Discovery that pisses me off. When they started in the '90s they were genuinely impressive with world class documentaries.

Nowadays they just relentlessly pump out reverse documentaries in which an 'investigative team' find 'clues' which lead to something that is already common knowledge.

An example of this formulaic tripe is a recent show when our heroes searched for the Ark of the Covenant. From Jerusalem and some 'secret' tunnels they followed a 'trail' which led them to Egypt, then down the Nile for a bit, finally ending up in Ethiopia where they 'discovered' a monastery where rumour has it that the Ark is located. This has been common knowledge for decades and the whole programme is just pointless, sensationalised and contrived crap.

Another thing that annoys me (there's quite a lot) is that these programmes (the History channel is just as bad), always have three members.... the good looking host, the slumming scientist, and the 'military expert' who is inevitably a thirty-something bearded bloke in a baseball cat who, also inevitably, was somebody important in the special forces and who peppers his speech with military jargon. The phrase which really gets my goat is 'force multiplier'; it makes me throw pets at the TV.

I wouldn't watch the crap, but I'm a sucker for history and always hope to learn something interesting. My optimism is very rarely justified;

I've got to stop ranting now, I've run out of inverted commas.
"Unsolved Mysteries"
It's fucking unsolved and will be at the end of the hour of dross- why make a programme about it FFS.

I invested in a good DAB+Pure radio, best purchase.
See news at work, weekends BBC4 Extra, Planet Rock & Absolute 80's.
TV full of repeats & Sky too expensive, not going to renew.

Freeview box with HHD cheap as chips.
If you like DAB, you'd love Internet radio. I've got a Roberts device that's got DAB, MP3 player and other things, and it's a cracking piece of kit.

Last edited:

No they are not and I doubt they will become illegal in the near future, there are too many legitimate reasons to have one and many legit companies including Government entities that use them as well.

What may happen though are ISP providers or Web Designers coming up with blockers for specific addresses. In the meantime VPN providers will be working on ways to combat that such as spoofing the spoof address.

One legitimate benefit that VPNs are good for is logging into your own bank account from another country such as I did when back in the UK recently it prevented the bank login security from sending me a text to my mobile sim card that wasn't working in the UK. {sorted later}.

The other benefit is not being held to ransom by my Cable Provider cranking up the cost for monthly service but at the same time bundling channels that didn't match. i:e placing popular TV programs into separate bundles so you had to buy 4 instead of one. Or capping the limit on web use at just the right point to tip you over at month end into a higher bracket. Or quietly moving channels from regular cable up into the 'extra' pay bundle. It's no coincidence that Discovery and History just show piles of crap nowadays, the proper programs moved to DiscoveryII and HistoryII etc.

So, rant over, Fcuk Em.. VPN it is where I can watch anything I want when I want.

Last edited:
If Labour/Momentum were in government? Let's not jump to any conclusions just yet. Let's keep things realistic here.
Never forget the power of stupid people in groups, it's how governments get elected

Awol

LE
No they are not and I doubt they will become illegal in the near future, there are too many legitimate reasons to have one and many legit companies including Government entities that use them as well.

What may happen though are ISP providers or Web Designers coming up with blockers for specific addresses. In the meantime VPN providers will be working on ways to combat that such as spoofing the spoof address.

One legitimate benefit that VPNs are good for is logging into your own bank account from another country such as I did when back in the UK recently it prevented the bank login security from sending me a text to my mobile sim card that wasn't working in the UK. {sorted later}.

The other benefit is not being held to ransom by my Cable Provider cranking up the cost for monthly service but at the same time bundling channels that didn't match. i:e placing popular TV programs into separate bundles so you had to buy 4 instead of one. Or capping the limit on web use at just the right point to tip you over at month end into a higher bracket. Or quietly moving channels from regular cable up into the 'extra' pay bundle. It's no coincidence that Discovery and History just show piles of crap nowadays, the proper programs moved to DiscoveryII and HistoryII etc.

So, rant over, Fcuk Em.. VPN it is where I can watch anything I want when I want.
Yep. I mentioned the legality only because some heinous individuals (so I been told), use them to obtain visual entertainment from nautical vagabonds, and I'd hate a mod to start deleting posts on the misunderstanding that VPNs were illegal (although to be honest I used to think the same).

If you like DAB, you'd love Internet radio. I've got a Roberts device that's got DAB, MP3 player and other things, and it's a cracking piece of kit.
Surround Sound systems all have internet radios these days, it's a far better range of stations than DAB, and a basic economy internet package will suffice for it

Surround Sound systems all have internet radios these days, it's a far better range of stations than DAB, and a basic economy internet package will suffice for it
I've never invested in a surround sound system. One speaker and a Tesco meal-for-one is enough excitement for me.

Latest Threads