Freemasons

My Mother Lodge and others I visited managed Installation in a meeting that was no more than 20 minutes or so longer than an Initiation. When I went to the local one there were huge sections of ritual that I'd never seen. Great chunks of reading rules and by laws. Then at Festive Board, the DPGM droned on for 35, yes 35 minutes. It was like pulling teeth. I was driving so had no reason to stay and came very close to just standing up and leaving. I wasn't the only one.
That's fair enough and as both you and @Commentator say, Installation shouldn't normally take much longer than a normal meeting, depending on how much faffing around takes place. I've visited lodges during their installation meetings and some of them really do like to drag it out, unnecessarily so.

I've also experienced the provincial rep who likes the sound of his own voice and drones on and on. Fair enough they have a responsibility to read out the parish notice but the wisest of them keep it short and sweet.

In fact, I had an occasion when the prov rep went on for a similar amount of time. As SW my turn came next and I just stood up and said "those of you who know me know I don't like to go on so I'd like to propose the next toast to the Worshipful Master" and sat straight back down - point made.

Chef

LE
Freemasons stem from the Knight Templar who were an off shute of the Knights of Soloman and protected the poor pilgrims who were tracking to Jerusalem after the Templars liberated it from Muslim rule. The Knight Templaer were also the ones who paid for and built all the Great Churches and Cathedrals, Hense Stone Mason = Freemasons. The Kight Templar is said to have disbanded over 700 years ago and the Freemasons adopted some of the ways and Symbols.
There is a hierarchy in the Masons, and all lodges vote on whether a new lodge is warranted or not. So for some to claim they are, shall we say going out of business shows a lack of Knowledge, Masonry is actually on the increase, and when I read posts about Fishing Lodges! It tells me that there is confusion between the Freemasons and Moose, Fishing, Hunting lodges, etc. Freemasons are very religious and provided much needs service and financial help to the poor and needy much like the founders of the KT's.

Not for us, My Lord, not for us, but to Your Name give the glory.
You're a bit wrong in this and your previous posts as regards Freemasonry in England.

That's fair enough and as both you and @Commentator say, Installation shouldn't normally take much longer than a normal meeting, depending on how much faffing around takes place. I've visited lodges during their installation meetings and some of them really do like to drag it out, unnecessarily so.

I've also experienced the provincial rep who likes the sound of his own voice and drones on and on. Fair enough they have a responsibility to read out the parish notice but the wisest of them keep it short and sweet.

In fact, I had an occasion when the prov rep went on for a similar amount of time. As SW my turn came next and I just stood up and said "those of you who know me know I don't like to go on so I'd like to propose the next toast to the Worshipful Master" and sat straight back down - point made.
Our Installation Meeting starts 3/4 of an hour earlier than usual - at 1845. Being a rural lodge (and in a mostly rural Province) the Festive Board is in a suitable premises a short distance from the Lodge Room. As no Brother wants his dinner spoiled,the Installation is fairly swift thanks to our very efficient DoC and the visiting Provincial Brethren know to keep their remarks very brief in the Lodge Room in the knowledge that they'll get a chance at the Festive Board to say their piece. Speeches are after the usual formalities giving brethren the chance to slip away as some of them have cows which need milking the next morning.
In addition ,the Lodge is normally the last in the Province to install the WM and the Provincial Officers are usually glad to be done...

Last edited:
Our Installation Meeting starts 3/4 of an hour earlier than usual - at 1845.
Ditto, so we start at 5.15 - with a strong encouragement to be there before 5. On a Tuesday. FFS.

So now I live a bit further away I have to use holiday to make meetings.

Chef

LE
Ditto, so we start at 5.15 - with a strong encouragement to be there before 5. On a Tuesday. FFS.

So now I live a bit further away I have to use holiday to make meetings.
We meet on a Wednesday and are gradually moving the start time from the mid-afternoon to a time better suited to those with jobs. Those who're retired can fit in with it.

This has advantages and disadvantages, these are the main ones but I'm sure there're others:

1) A later start time makes it easier for people to fit it in around their working patterns, which is good.

2) It does mean that we finish later so the old codgers can get a bit fractious and the people who've come in from work can face a full day's work, a fun filled evening of secret stuff that I can't tell you about (See @Sabretooth above) a festive board with a long drive home at the end of it.

So swings and roundabouts but I think it'll become more common. There is also the problem of afternoon Lodges trying to find evening slots. Our centre has two Temples so can do ten meetings a week in the evening and that doesn't take into account all the side orders, just the Craft. Bearing in mind that those are already taken it'll take a long time before significant changes occur.

IMG-20201224-WA0000.jpg

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I'm often asked " are they any Jews in Freemasonry " in fact it was a nice Jewish chap who introduced me and his religion never came into it .

On the other hand I cant recall anyone asking if a black man could join,, the only other question seemed to be " do you have to have lots of money to be a mason " to which I say no but it helps . Just thought I'd mention it .

I'm often asked " are they any Jews in Freemasonry " in fact it was a nice Jewish chap who introduced me and his religion never came into it .

On the other hand I cant recall anyone asking if a black man could join,, the only other question seemed to be " do you have to have lots of money to be a mason " to which I say no but it helps . Just thought I'd mention it .
Providing you have belief in a Supreme Being it doesn't matter what religion you hold. Some of the other Orders do have a specific faith requirement but anyone from any religion may apply to Freemasonry.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I think the knights Templar thing might have come from 1756 ish , when the french set up a side order of the KT.

I used to visit a Lodge where the WM was black and dyslexic [he read his lines from a large print book] and had a habit of getting the giggles. The DC was Indian and the 'dining officer' was Jewish [he always had fish 'just to be safe']. It was one of the finest Lodges I ever visited. At my own Initiation dinner I was seated between a plasterer and a brickie. Great company. I know I have written about my reasons for leaving the Craft but there are some aspects I miss. Perhaps in a few years when I intend to semi-retire I'll come back. I will need to do some serious research to find the perfect Lodge.

I cant recall anyone asking if a black man could join,
I have never been asked that either, as men of good will of any race are welcome to join. To be fair, men of color like to gravitate to Prince Hall Masonry rather than to the traditional Blue lodges, but we have shared table lodges with them, and they have sent delegates to the Grand Lodge Communication.

I have never been asked that either, as men of good will of any race are welcome to join. To be fair, men of color like to gravitate to Prince Hall Masonry rather than to the traditional Blue lodges, but we have shared table lodges with them, and they have sent delegates to the Grand Lodge Communication.
In the UK we don't have the equivalent of Prince Hall so in our lodges you will see men of all shades.

Just received a letter from Province offering promotion to PPrSGD.

It would be rude to say no.

In the UK we don't have the equivalent of Prince Hall so in our lodges you will see men of all shades.
The Library of Congress gives the following on the origins of Prince Hall Masonry in the United States:

Prince Hall Freemasonry is the oldest recognized and continuously active organization founded by African Americans. Prince Hall Freemasonry had its beginnings on March 6, 1775 when Prince Hall (ca. 1748-1807), an abolitionist and civil rights activist, along with fourteen other free black men were initiated into freemasonry. These men later organized African Lodge No. 1 on July 3, 1775. In 1784 they petitioned the Grand Lodge of England for a charter; it was granted and African Lodge No. 1 became African Lodge No. 459 of Boston, Massachusetts. This organization laid the foundation for African American citizenship, education, and for the improvement of the condition of blacks.