Freemasons

Why is this in the Officers Forum? Freemasonry is where most of my most indolent but entitled SNCOS wound up.

Oh dear, I've said it.
Something I've often wondered. If anywhere it should be in the Interests & Hobbies forum.

Something I've often wondered. If anywhere it should be in the Interests & Hobbies forum.
I think it started with the misconception that it was something for officers. I mean, there are officers (I was one) but overall....

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
An excellent explanation and it proves that we continue to move out from the shadows.

To me, Freemasonry is one of my many hobbies which has enabled me to meet and become friends with many people from different backgrounds. I have never felt pushed to do anything I did not want to do, and enjoyed the ritual, especially having learnt the hard ones (the Initiates Charge for one).

I may use parts of your explanation on a friend who has expressed an interest in joining.
I have never felt pushed to do anything I did not want to do
What ,never caught to reply to the visitor's toast with damn all notice

I visited a friend's Chapter. The numbers were few and there were only a couple of visitors, of which I was one. I'd already been asked to stand in as the Principle Sojourner by my friend, who was Z at the time, and it was an Exaltation meeting. A piece of ritual I enjoy doing and am pretty good at, even if I say so myself.

As the P.S. I had to propose the toast to the visitors at the festive board, which I did, and thought that whilst I was on my feet, and being a visitor myself, I decided to reply on behalf of the visitors. I made sure I paid particular compliments to the Principle Sojourner for his (my) excellent part in the ceremony.

There's an easy way to ensure you never get ambushed like that again. When asked to speak for the Visitors, politely point out their ritual is shit and is much better in your Lodge and invite them to come see for themselves.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
There's an easy way to ensure you never get ambushed like that again. When asked to speak for the Visitors, politely point out their ritual is shit and is much better in your Lodge and invite them to come see for themselves.
O Wicked Brother !!

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
have any of your lodges had a famous person as a member ?
in my mother we had a bloke called Dyer who was a great golfer 1890s/ 1900s got a nice obit in the times. Also we had a chap whose dog won first at crufts oh Henry Sadler was a member as well.

in the 1900s we had our very own WALT capt J lebrant VC who disappeared after 18 months........ The of course there was me .

have any of your lodges had a famous person as a member ?
in my mother we had a bloke called Dyer who was a great golfer 1890s/ 1900s got a nice obit in the times. Also we had a chap whose dog won first at crufts oh Henry Sadler was a member as well.

in the 1900s we had our very own WALT capt J lebrant VC who disappeared after 18 months........ The of course there was me .
It depends what your definition of famous is. My lodge is a young lodge, it was founded in 1985, so we've not had that many members through the door compared to some other lodges.

We currently have a television presenter as a member and I was the WM for his Raising. Tommy Gould VC was an honorary member.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
It depends what your definition of famous is. My lodge is a young lodge, it was founded in 1985, so we've not had that many members through the door compared to some other lodges.

We currently have a television presenter as a member and I was the WM for his Raising. Tommy Gould VC was an honorary member.
that will do nicely.

MorseMonkey988

Old-Salt
[QUOTE="Mo
What ,never caught to reply to the visitor's toast with damn all notice [/B]
[/QUOTE]
Ah yes. Thank god for paper table cloths, I have on had to use them more than once to hastily draft a quick response as and when required. Having listened to many, I know brevity is key but always try and include some funny aspect of the ceremony. The host brethren will always enjoy that

Famous? A couple of living holders of the VC at the moment. Oh, and me

GrumpyOG

Old-Salt
Famous? A couple of living holders of the VC at the moment. Oh, and me
Even I’ve visited your Lodge a few times

But I’m not famous!
However my Lodge has the Sec of the GC and VC association as a member (he’s got a GC) and a few other members who have a wiki page

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Because of this topic I am now in contact with a good friend and brother who I thought had died ten years ago !
he didint and he survived Covid in January February.

At the risk of being made fun of and mocked for being "only a Blue Lodger", would anyone care to enlighten me as to what makes this cartoon funny? Serious question here for the WM in the East. :?

Barney and Fred.png

At the risk of being made fun of and mocked for being "only a Blue Lodger", would anyone care to enlighten me as to what makes this cartoon funny? Serious question here for the WM in the East. :?

View attachment 490003
There's a bit of a perception, especially amongst more junior brethren, that you can't wear the stripey trousers until you reach a certain level of 'seniority' or get the dark blue. It's a load of nonsense of course. There have been brethren in my lodge who have worn morning dress almost from the moment they were initiated and some senior provincial grand ranks who wore lounge suits.

Latest Threads